<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone hunting bullfrogs with an airgun?

June 14 2017 at 10:21 AM

Kevin  (Login razor62)
YC

Kicking around taking my Leshiy in .22 out for a canoe ride tonight in search of some frogs legs. Just got inspired by a facebook post in which a Disco seemed to be adequate. Anyone have any experience? I'm hoping to be able to anchor a frog with one, well placed pellet.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Wall
(Login DougWall)
YF

Better to catch them on a hook

June 14 2017, 12:05 PM 

Then you don't have to retrieve them. Just get a long pole with about 3 ft of line tied to the end. Tie a hook to the end and put a little piece or red cloth on it. Dangle it in front of the frog, and they'll jump right on it.

Respond to this message   

Kevin`
(Login razor62)
YC

Thinking of going after work tonight...

June 14 2017, 12:39 PM 

Do you think that this red cloth technique will work after dark? I have done it before in daylight. Lookinf for an excuse to take an airgun along. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Gig 'em and fry 'em!!! nft

June 14 2017, 12:59 PM 

Respond to this message   

Skillet
(Login Skillet)
YC

Used to hunt them alot...

June 14 2017, 12:44 PM 

We used powerful springers, headlights
Etc.

I'd load my CR 1400 with 5 .22 lead balls, behind a felt cleaning pell.
Charge it heavy and it would starch big Texas bullfrogs like a thunderbolt.

Snakes and nutria were bonus-targets. Wish I had a big plate of fried frog legs right now!

Respond to this message   
JB in FL
(Login ircaver)
YC

Do it all the time !!!

June 14 2017, 12:53 PM 

A long handled dip net comes in handy as well as a cooler with ice. I use a .22 Benjamin NP2 fitted with an AO mildot scope and a red lensed torch @ 1000 lumens. You can get really close. Most shots are at five yards. Remember, shoot only the biggest bullfrogs and leave the medium and smaller ones for another night. It is easy to clean out a location. Make only head shots, body shots will cause them to sink before you can retrieve them.

After I've cleaned them, I soak the legs in buttermilk with salt and pepper to taste overnight. I like to use Zatarain's fish fry breading and pan fry in olive oil. I save the backbone and fore legs for gumbo. I poach them in chicken stock. I wait and freeze them until I have around 40-50 bodies to make a decent gumbo base.

I'll post the recipe on this thread if you wish for my Frog Holler Gumbo. It's made with Bullfrog, Fresh shucked oysters (optional), Shrimp, Chicken, Smoked Sausage, Okra, Red Bell Peppers, Onions, Celery, Garlic, White Wine, Roux, Cajun Spices and served over white rice.
There is no such thing as a day off...
Only on some days, you don't work as hard as others...

Respond to this message   

Kevin
(Login razor62)
YC

Sure! I'm always interested in wild game recipes. It's awesome that..

June 14 2017, 1:18 PM 

that you use the entire animal. I hate the idea of just using the rear legs. I'll be in a kayak so I should be able to reach the tough spots. Hoping for a dozen or so. No-one around here goes after 'em in my neck of the woods so the pickens should be good even on the well used ponds.

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

No bullfrogs but I go on night ops after Cuban treefrog w/ Buck 105.

June 14 2017, 1:54 PM 

I might get 10 in 20 mins walking round the yard, not one to waste I feed them to the chickens.

Tough buggers, I've had them hop off after taking multiple BBS through the head!

Respond to this message   
JB in FL
(Login ircaver)
YC

Frog Holler Gumbo Recipe

June 14 2017, 2:36 PM 

This is a rather involved and detailed procedure but believe me, this is the best gumbo you have ever tasted. You may deviate from the recipe to suit your needs, this is just a guide and you can change it to suit your tastes of ingredients.

Stock:
Peel and devein 1 lb of shrimp 24-26 count. Reserve the shells and set aside the shrimp. Place the shells under a broiler and cook until pink with a small bit of charring on the shells. In a medium stock pot(18-20 QT) with 6-8 quarts of water, chicken base, 6-8 cubes or equivalent, bring to a simmer, add frog bodies and simmer for 20 minutes.

Strain, discard shrimp shells and pluck out frog meat from bones and reserve. Add stock back to the pot and add to stock, 1 medium onion chopped, 2 ribs of celery chopped, 1 red pepper chopped, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 1 lb of raw chicken breast or thighs, diced. Bring to simmer for 20 minutes.

Get your rice cooking.

Make a coffee w/cream colored roux, You may use Zatarains roux base for this with excellent results also.

Add cooked frog, shrimp, okra, 1lb smoked sausage chopped and Tony Chachere's seasoning to taste.
Simmer until roux is thick.

Note: IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO FRESH OYSTERS, ADD THE lIQUOR IN THE FIRST STEP AND ADD THE WHOLE OYSTERS AT THE LAST. (Optional)

Makes @ 1.25 Gallons
There is no such thing as a day off...
Only on some days, you don't work as hard as others...

This message has been edited by ircaver on Jun 14, 2017 2:57 PM

Respond to this message   

Kevin
(Login razor62)
YC

Sounds Awesome!!!! Thank you!!!!! NT

June 14 2017, 3:31 PM 

Respond to this message   
Will Piatt
(Login saddlemountaingunsmith)
YF

Took scores of them in the daytime and at night

June 14 2017, 2:58 PM 

with a Sheridan pumper. We kids turned the pellets backwards for "hollow points" Head shots only. Good eating.

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

I've only done it once, many years ago. We had gone camping and the first night we

June 14 2017, 5:42 PM 

could hear a great amount of croaking from a small pond a short distance away.

My brother in law and I both had Crosman 760s, this was back in the mid '70s so those little rifles were still pretty good, as accurate as we were.

We shined a flash light on the pond at a fairly low angle and could see their heads just above water level giveing us a small but possible shot.

We got about ten or a dozen before we quit, I am a bit shamed to say we did not recover any of the bodies, it may have been interesting to cook them up over the campfire...

Respond to this message   
donwalk
(Login donwalk)
YC

we used to hunt the frogs with

June 14 2017, 6:46 PM 

22 rimfire revolvers...good eatin'
never squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Flat heads from a P-17 converted to .22 caliber drops them

June 14 2017, 7:55 PM 

just as well as the Sharp Ace at 5x the power.

I have to clear them out of my pond a few times a year, just to give the native frogs a chance.

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login tackleberry49)
YFOT

Shootin Froggy

June 14 2017, 8:50 PM 

Check out methods of take for your area. Looks like a no no in Kalifornia. Best of luck, Tom.

Respond to this message   
Quinton Lewis
(Login Domer_Pyle)
YF

Unfortunately it's illegal to hunt frogs with airguns in WI

June 14 2017, 9:42 PM 

But before I knew that a friend and I would occasionally shoot a toad or two while hunting squirrels. I was flinging .22 CPHP at about 900 fps but given the damage I'd have to guess it wouldn't take much to take one down. There's a video of a guy on YouTube shooting them with a Remington Express (650-670 fps with the same pellet) and blowing them apart

Respond to this message   
BJ West
(Login beejwest)
YF12

all the time

June 15 2017, 12:18 AM 

I had a party last year. Smoked a pork butt, but the real kicker was the 5 or 6 pounds of frog legs I fried up. All taken with various AG's. Lots of P-rod NV shots, 2240 pistol shots, Benji 392. All great fun, easy to retrieve, easy to clean, and really good eating!

Respond to this message   

KW
(Login CuomoSux)
YF12

Pithing position

June 15 2017, 7:44 AM 

Easiest to just aim between the eyes slightly towards the tail. Frog will stay in that spot and float.

This image is as good as any.

[linked image]

Frog hunters use nets and gigs for a reason. The first time you drop your rifle in the pond you will understand why.

Respond to this message   
Ed K
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Someone Told Me They Used Wadcutters

June 16 2017, 5:43 PM 

To prevent over-penetration (o-p being a 'through and through' shot that didn't kill the frog). Pointed pellets didn't do nearly as well for them according to the story I was told. I never hunted frogs with an air gun so I can't offer any personal experience.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Ed Krzynowek, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

When I was a kid...

June 16 2017, 7:20 PM 

...I used to catch zillions of them with a long cane pole and a small piece of red rag tied onto the end of the line. They'd try to catch the rag thinking it's a bug and get their tongues tangled up in it. Take them home in a wet gunny sack, pith them, and mom would fry up frog legs for dinner. True Tom Sawyer stuff.

It probably doesn't take a very powerful airgun to kill a bullfrog, but you'd have to be a very very good shot to be able to pith that pea-sized brain and that's the only way to make a clean kill. Myself, I'm not a good enough shot to be confident that I was making clean kills.

This message has been edited by Sophie948 on Jun 16, 2017 7:22 PM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.