<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

It's here!!!!!!!!

June 14 2017 at 11:35 AM
Don  (Login Nvreloader)
YF12

Well guys,

The new Qb-79 22 cal, arrived around 3:30 pm, my time, read the manuals etc, cleaned the bbl,
screwed the 88/90 grm adapter into the drop down block, after lubing the "O" rings etc, on both pcs.

Screwed in a 88 grm cylinder, loaded and fired 1st shot, nothing but a mouse fart puff??
reloaded again and the sound level was a little louder, but NOT by much,
reloaded again and the sound level came up by 3-4 times, which sounded uniform for the next 5 shots.

Pulled out the Magnetic V-3 chrono set the spacing spec's,
and fired a 5 shot strings, using 14.3 gr pellets, average fps was 425-450 fps, temp was 65*.

Sounded kinda weak to me.
Will shoot some more tomorrow, I feel that some mods are in the cards.

Also arrived with this AR package deal, I have a Valken brand name Co2, 9 oz bottle that states,
CO2 ONLY, NO HPA on it's label?? 2-1/16" dia by 10" long, and has a 3K burst disc installed.

Here is the web site for this bottle,
http://www.valken.com/Tank-Valken-CO2-A ... -stamp-9oz

It appears that I can NOT use HPA in this tank??

I wanted to get a Ninja sp regulator for HPA with this tank, for the winter months use etc,
Now I am confused about this tank and it's use etc.

Can this tank be used for HPA, if the psi is kept below 2000 psi,
and with a Ninja SP reg, when I hand pump to fill it ??

I will provide more info tomorrow after I run some more shots thru it,
using the 88 grm cylinder etc.

And another Amazon package of pellets arrived a couple of hours ago,
there was lots of rattling going on inside this package, don't sound good,
open it up and found that 600+ pellets loose inside, all 3 cans had opened up during shipping,
and mixed together, WTH......

I sent an email and awaiting their reply.

More later,

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
crazyhorse
(Login icufuzz)
YC

Re: It's here!!!!!!!!

June 14 2017, 2:21 PM 

Seems ok to me for the ambient temperature of 65.....(check on Archers site for some similar testing).

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

I don't have a chrono so I can't speak to that, one thing I do with my 79, and my

June 14 2017, 5:28 PM 

850 Air Magnum is drill and tap the 88 or 90 gram (bottle?) for a Foster fitting.

On the 850 the whole thing is still short enough that the front of the plastic stock still fits on it, I checked but I don't usually put it on. I wrapped the cyl in black tape to hide the shine.

I used the Walther brand cylinder because, when I checked it, they are about 1/4inch thick at the base.

I used the smallest drill bit that I could for that tap size and also used an undersized tap so it would be a tight fit.

I bulk fill from a 20oz bottle that I have from my paintball era and it works just fine.

I realize that not everyone can or will want to do this, or will like the idea at all, c'est la vie...

Respond to this message   
Doug Wall
(Login DougWall)
YF

DON'T TRY TO USE A CO2 TANK FOR HPA!!

June 14 2017, 7:52 PM 

If you're thinking about an HPA regulator, just go for the 1100psi regulated Ninja tank from Archer's.(I have one). The 450 fps is kind of in the ball park for an untuned QB79 at 65F. Mine is tuned a bit, with some valve work, a new transfer port, and an opened up bolt. I get about 725 fps with 1100 psi HPA.

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

NO,NO,NO HPA in that tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nft

June 14 2017, 8:00 PM 

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login BigTinBoat)
YF12

re:NO,NO,NO......gotta ask why......

June 15 2017, 9:40 AM 

Why not Bill? If he only fills to 1800 PSI what is the difference?

Isn't a 1800psi working pressure tank (which a CO2 tank is) good for 1800psi? whether it's air or CO2 doing the pushing?

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: re:NO,NO,NO......gotta ask why......

June 15 2017, 9:47 AM 

That could be but telling someone to put HPA in a CO2 tank sets a dangerous precedent. Next thing you know someone's getting hurt. Why not just get the correct set-up to start with?

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login BigTinBoat)
YF12

dangerous precedent?.........

June 15 2017, 11:21 AM 

Crosman does it with the Disco, right? If that a CO2 cylinder or HPA cylinder on it?

Is telling someone to modify their QB 78 or QB79 or RWS850 to HPA a "Dangerous Precedent"? It's done on web forums all the time.

What makes a CO2 tank "different" then any other Aluminum or CF tank? as long as you do not exceed the working pressure?

Why not just buy a 3K psi tank for $69? Maybe because the guy already has a regulator and the "CO2" tank and doesn't want to spend any additional $$? Does that make it "dangerous"? I think not.

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: dangerous precedent?.........

June 15 2017, 11:37 AM 

Do what you want, pard. Not trying to start an argument. BTW, on QB's and 850's the original airtube is replaced with a gasblock and a regg'd bottle. I've seen enough hi-pac disasters to mess with this stuff. My opinion, nothing more. Like i said, do what you want.

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login BigTinBoat)
YF12

Honestly I'd like to know the "reason" for the "NO, NO, NO"

June 15 2017, 11:50 AM 

Was it just for not starting a "dangerous precedent"? or is it your "opinion" that it is actually dangerous to use 1800psi in the bottle? Not looking for argument, just reasoning.

With the RWS850 and the QB's the guns are "designed" for CO2, right? When you convert to HPA aren't you still using the same gun parts? Is it different to fill a "CO2 tank" with 1800 psi of air then it is to fill a "CO2 valve" with 1800 psi of air? or a "CO2 tube"(which is what you are doing with the QB79)? That's what I was referencing.

Other then the guy who "epoxied" the HiPac into his tube, and sealed his valve to the tube, do you have reference to these other "disasters"? I've actually looked and couldn't find any.

Respond to this message   
Doug Wall
(Login DougWall)
YF

To be quite blunt-

June 15 2017, 7:30 PM 

Only an idiot would consistently pressurize a CO2 rated tank to 2K psi. CO2 pressure is normally around 850 psi. The safety margin for CO2 tanks is not designed for that kind of pressure. Over pressure will stress and stretch the aluminum, which could lead to a catastrophic, explosive failure. I would also advise to keep the regulated pressure to 1100-1200 psi. Too high pressure will valve lock the QB 79 (I've had it happen on a hot day with CO2).

How much is your life worth? The 1100 psi regulated Ninja tank is only $90 from Archer's, and the Ninja tanks fit the "under 2" rule", and don't have to be hydroed (that's from Ninja).

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login BigTinBoat)
YF12

re: to be quite blunt.....

June 15 2017, 8:15 PM 

Doug it's apparent that you have NO clue about CO2 tanks......to be blunt about it.

These tanks are designed with a WORKING pressure of 1800psi. Just look at one of the tanks, it's stamped right into it. Charging them to 1800 psi is NOT overcharging, or stressing them anymore then they are designed for. 1800psi is what I said, not 2000 psi as that would be stressing it.

They are hydro tested at 5/3rd's the WORKING pressure which would be 3Kpsi, hence the reason why they have a 3K burst disc.

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login Nvreloader)
YF12

Re: re: to be quite blunt.....

June 15 2017, 9:21 PM 

Guys

I don't know, if this has ANY bearing on tank pressures etc,
you guys are discussing, but I found this info while searching etc.

If I understand the info in this graph, the max pressure of Co2 can reach 2200 psi,
I may (probably) be full of it, as I am attempting to wrap my head around tank psi,
so I am not sure and I DON't need a Kaboom.

See info here,

http://www.pinsdaddy.com/graph-of-co2-pressure-vs-fill-at-various-temperatures_cwTDAkTYIuTl1pG5u3OmLj4cVdYYbabATd%7CbBHVeugKMq*TvA8jyrr4MeQLgGfGdKNNOc06DFgJAL0hfP5dC5g/1ZBNxuJM7Mn9EsMJ8pvBTLf%7CSlLQUxcfsRlXhDFVJKiXV8FEYj6PkUEsYz6i5I*1z%7CFO9zCpv75yvAlCtkj7porTu*IQwZgLIoTYZbXI%7CtNTQXL9l7Qd51CmC3FliT*R/

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

HAve to go with Robert on this...

June 15 2017, 10:30 PM 

Tank is rated...and stamped on the tank...so a certain pressure. Doesn't make any difference if it's air pressure, co2 pressure, or aardvark fart pressure. Stay under that rated pressure, and it's as safe with any of them (although some gas mixes will want to corrode the tank internally).

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login Nvreloader)
YF12

Re: re: to be quite blunt.....

June 15 2017, 10:36 PM 

Guys

If the below info helps,

Here is the info that is stamped into this tank, I have no clue what it means etc,
if you can understand what the below info means, can you inform me, what it means,
it would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this stuff and AR's etc.

Top line = DOT - 3 (triangle?) L- 1800- P846120 . . M4625
Bottom line = TC - 3 ALM - 12 (triangle?) - 11 C 16 - 09 OZ CO2

The spelling in these marks ( ?) is my best quess, as these stamping are very hard to read,
and filled with paint etc.

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Not saying you should use something besides co2...

June 15 2017, 10:50 PM 

,,,just saying that the tank won't let go with a boom unless pressurized over 1800 psi (and likely a hell of a lot more considering the safety standards)...co2, air, or whatever. PLUS there is a 1.8K burst disk on the valve, which tends to let go with a "whoosh" someplace between 1600-1800psi.

So for this, I'd NOT...leave the co2 tank for co2.

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login Nvreloader)
YF12

June 15 2017, 11:58 AM 

Guys
Thank you for the info,

I am kinda confused about this tank, I can NOT find any info on it, except for this little bit,
http://www.valken.com/Tank-Valken-CO2-Alum-High-Pressure-DOT-TC-stamp-9 oz, it has a 3K burst disc in it.

There is some code/stamping on this tank, but I can not understand what it all means,
new to the AR scene etc.

This was the tank that came with the QB-79.

I was hoping that I could use a Ninja Sp reg set for 1500-1600#'s and fill to 2000 #'s,
to use for the winter time use etc.

Can I change the burst disc out to 1.7K, at this time I plan on hand pumping only to fill it,
until funds get built back up, I have NO way to fill with Co2 or HPA,
without a 200 mile drive to Reno.

If I have to, I'll get another HPA tank to use, I'll send the funds,
as I want to use this AR for both seasons etc.

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   
Robert
(Login BigTinBoat)
YF12

Don - here is what I would do in your situation......

June 15 2017, 12:24 PM 

If it were me, I would use just a regular Ninja paintball regulator set at 850psi (what they normally come set at). I would then only fill the tank to 1800psi as this is what the design max working pressure is.

I am NOT recommending you do this (so as to not set any dangerous precedent) just letting you know what I would personally do.

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login Nvreloader)
YF12

June 15 2017, 2:07 PM 

Thanks guys

I have to do some figuring on this, as I want to use HPA, if I can safely do so.

I also ran into another problem,
When I went to mount the Mueller 4.5x14x40mm APT scope and when I attempted to mount the 3/8 dovetail rings,
I could not get the rings to fit down on top of the action, when centered on top of the action,
the ring base would not did not have enough height to grab into the action grooves properly.

I tried several different make of 3/8 size rings and none of them would fit, due to the radius of the action etc,
all the ring bases I tried were flat across the base of the rings, just above the clamping ears etc.

I think I will need either med or high rings to clear the top of the barrel for this scope,
http://muelleroptics.com/mt451440

Is there rings that have a radius cut into the ring base, to fit the radius of the action??

I like the Millet Angle lock rings for their adjust ability to center the scope etc, but can not find any.

Any other suggestions or Ideas?

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login Nvreloader)
YF12

June 16 2017, 11:28 PM 

Guys

Does this sound reasonable for a normal OTB untuned QB-79, 22 cal running on 88 grm cyl, Co2?

I shot 2-10 shot strings today, getting used to the trigger etc,
which needs adjusting/tuning, not used to a 2 stage trigger. LOL

14.3 gr pellets Temp 85*
Shot over my Magnet V-3 chrono

H= 585 fps
L= 576
A= 579
SD =2.6

Shot over my Oehler 32 chrono
H= 585 fps
l = 568
A= 577
SD = 2.6

Group size was the end of a coke can, with iron sights, at 35 yds,
with approx 20mph quartering wind.

Holy snackbar!, the wind sure does drift these pellets,
used to 17 cal PB at 3800 fps+. :twisted:

I have about a 1/4 of can of pellets, approx 150+ shots,
on the 88 grm cylinder, seems to be within my expectations,
and this cyl still has gas.

I don't know about the accuracy, as the iron sights are blurry etc,
I have to get my scope mounted, waiting for some more rings to get here.
more info to come.

Tia,
Don

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.