<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Update on Discovery Modifications Re: Stock Refinishing

June 14 2017 at 1:32 PM
Kevin   (Login Mattole)
YF

UPDATE June 14, 2017

Here is the stock after reshaping to reduce the width of the forearm and the area around the grip. Notice how inconsistent in grain and coloration the woods is - a real nightmare for refinishing. These kinds of cheap woods are known for becoming very blotchy when stained.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

To minimize the blotchiness I used a product called Charles Neils Pre-Stain Conditioner Blotch Control, which saturates the 'thirstiest' areas of the wood so they take up stain at more or less the same rate as the surrounding grain. Let it dry, sand lightly and apply stain. Requires one or two coats before applying stain, depending on the stain you are using. I was using Minwax Chestnut Gel so it needed only one coat.

Here you can see how the 'thirsty' grain around the grip, which is an area notorious for blotching, is really taking up the blotch control product:

Here is the stock after a coat of gel stain. Looks pretty bad I know:

After using the blotch control the stain will always go on light because the Blotch Control product has partially filled the wood already, but in the case of my stock it was waaaay too light for my liking. So I had to do a process of applying a finish coat of Minwax Wipe On Poly, then sanding lightly, then applying the gel stain, and repeating the process three times until I got the basic level of color saturation that I was after. I wanted more red to the color so I added some Fiebings "Chocolate" tone leather dye to the gel stain. Now it was starting to look better, but I was still not satisfied.

I then applied two coats of Minwax Polyshades Antique Maple, which is essentially a colored polyurethane, to even out the contrasts of the coloration a bit and to add more of a brownish red. Once I was satisfied I applied several coats of Wipe-On Poly. Here are photos of the original stock and then the completed stock with the rifle that has the Marauder trigger and the Benjamin Trail trigger guard:

The stock is not perfect - there is some slightly raised grain in parts of the stock that I didn't knock back enough early in the process which adds a little texture to the surface, but I am mostly satisfied with the final outcome.

Time to mount a scope and do some shooting! On my next update I will cover the latest results of my performance modifications.

This message has been edited by Mattole on Jun 14, 2017 6:52 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
YC

Nice job!

June 14 2017, 5:07 PM 

Your stock looks really nice now. The Discovery is a lot of gun for the money.

Bob in WV
Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   
Kevin
(Login Mattole)
YF

Re: Nice job!

June 14 2017, 6:41 PM 

Thanks, Bob. I agree about the Discovery - even with new PCP air rifle models like the Crosman Maximus, the Beeman Chief and the Gamo Urban, I believe the Discovery is still king in terms of the combination of low initial cost ($186 at grabagun.com), LIGHT WEIGHT and the ability to make performance modifications to it.

This message has been edited by Mattole on Jun 14, 2017 6:42 PM

Respond to this message   

Joe Wayne Rhea
(Login JoeWayneRhea)
YF12

Great job Kevin !!!

June 14 2017, 9:04 PM 

Looks gorgeous !!! Excellent job with a difficult wood to refinish !!! Very slick looking now .

Respond to this message   
Michael Ice
(Login AIRGUNNERMO)
YF12

Good work man.

June 14 2017, 9:15 PM 

You took that stock from just so so to awesome. You should be proud of your hard work.

Respond to this message   
Bob Eskridge
(Login besk)
YF12

Re: Update on Discovery Modifications Re: Stock Refinishing

June 15 2017, 6:51 PM 

I am bookmarking this post. Your stock modifications are exactly what I need. I have no idea where to
source the conditioner however.

Respond to this message   
Kevin
(Login Mattole)
YF

Re: Update on Discovery Modifications Re: Stock Refinishing

June 15 2017, 9:52 PM 

Hi Bob,

As far as I know you have to order it from the maker, Charles Neil. Here is his website:http://www.cn-woodworking.com

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.