<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Brass screw cups

June 14 2017 at 9:38 PM
Josh3rd  (Login josh3rd)
YF12

Where can I get them for a prosport and do they come with screws?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Screw Cups

June 14 2017, 10:41 PM 

Order these Ruger 10-22 stock escutcheons from Brownells and get socket head capscrews at any ACE, Lowes ect. You will need to open the threaded hole in the escutcheon with the appropriate drill.

Probably cost you $4.00 per hole.

[linked image]
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/stock-hardware/escutcheons/ruger-42665-escutcheon-prod12126.aspx

Here's mine.

[linked image]
Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Im not that mechanically inclined

June 15 2017, 1:59 AM 

So please explain as to how to go about it please.

Respond to this message   
Alex in Upstate NY
(Login awilde)
YF12

Looks like a simple drilled/milled hole

June 15 2017, 11:01 AM 

through part of the escutcheon to accommodate the depth of the hex cap bolt leaving some amount of the threads intact, easiest done in a lathe but could do in a mill or drill press with a little care (milling cutter the right size would leave a nice flat-bottom hole). The hole for the escutcheon being drilled to the OD or slightly less in the wood and then glued/pressed in.

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Re: Im not that mechanically inclined

June 15 2017, 1:21 PM 

Apparently the previous pic was unclear. It shows the escutcheon bottom side up. The pic below shows the top side. The escutcheon is just like any other screw cup you can buy and requires exactly the same installation process.The only modification you will need to make is to open up the through hole to 3/16" and can be done with any hand drill. Since this is only .020" larger than the existing hole it can probably be done with only a drill bit held in a vice.

To prepare the hole in the stock to receive the escutcheon I use a 7/16" piloted counter bore as shown in the pic's which make a light press fit and the knurls on the escutcheon will lock it in place. But it can be glued in also.

You can get the 5mm socket head cap screws in SS or black finish and cut to fit.

[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by TerryVanpool on Jun 15, 2017 1:23 PM

Respond to this message   
Ron
(Login rjbirnbaum)
YC

M..>>ModDeleted per RULE#14.<< NT

June 15 2017, 1:59 PM 

This message has been edited by ClassMod on Jun 15, 2017 7:07 PM

Respond to this message   
josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Great, but who can make it for me? nt

June 15 2017, 10:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

Great idea and flush. Did you have to countersink them

June 15 2017, 3:33 PM 

or did they happen to sit that perfectly flush? I want a set for my R1. I had a guy who's on the known scammer list try to sell me a set; but didn't answer when I asked for pictures and info.

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Some fitting required.....

June 15 2017, 4:35 PM 

James the gun they are being installed on determines the amount of fitting. On the ProSport all the stock surfaces are relatively flat and the only fitting is getting the counter bore the correct depth. I generally try to counter bore to the depth of the existing screw hole so not to lose any strength but if the existing hole is deeper than the length of the escutcheon I fill the bottom of the hole with JB Weld.
On your R1 the screw hole is on a radiused part of the forearm and will require some hand fitting. Counterbore the hole so the escutcheon sits flush at the top and it will be a little proud at the bottom. Mask around the escutcheon with masking tape and file to fit the radius. The screw heads can be fitted by chucking the screw in a drill and filing to a flush fit.

Here is a pic of my R1 that I used SS screws on.
[linked image]

This message has been edited by TerryVanpool on Jun 15, 2017 4:39 PM

Respond to this message   
JD
(Login JamesDingle777)

VERY good work. Have you noticed less loosening of screws?

June 16 2017, 8:11 AM 

If I attempt this, it would have to be with all hand tools. I have no drill press. I do have a ton of hand tools though, & Dewalt & Milwaukee power tools. Rounding the screw head can be done. Rounding the radius would have to be done carefully with much checking. You Sir are very good at what you do.
Your idea of using the beefy escutcheon is a great one. You could easily start installing these for $50.00 a gun and cost of parts & shipping. Your work is that good that it is definitely professional grade. A Man set up with a Machine shop is a VERY lucky Man in this hobby.
Again Terry, best install I've ever seen. As good as any master tuner I've had do this to. Thank you and GB!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.