<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

And the Plinkering Continues...20 cal Theoben Rapid MK2

June 16 2017 at 3:53 PM

db  (Login Diamondback)
YC

I picked up this used Rapid (one of the early few MK2’s with an Anschutz trigger & side mounted safety) despite warnings that most 20 cal Rapids strongly preferred the now discontinued 20 cal Crosman Premier pellet. With the demise of the 20 cal Premier, many owners sell their 20 cal Rapids once they finish their stash of beloved Premiers. They often just can’t find another pellet that’s as accurate out of their Rapids as the hard-lead, thick skirt, heavier for caliber 14.3gr 20 cal Premiers.

I shot the Rapid as received with H&N Barracuda (13.58gr) & H&N FTT (11.42gr) pellet. It was supposedly launching the Barracudas at 963 fps for 28 ft lbs.

My Rapid didn’t feel right to me, & it didn’t shoot right. It seemed too hi strung. It was surprisingly loud (louder than any of my other FAC airguns), hard to cock, & accuracy was depressing. 2.3”, 2.4”, & 2.5” 6-shot groups at 48 yards were the norm, & my best 6-shot groups were 1.5” with Barracudas & 2” with the FTTs. 12-shot groups were worse, to the point that I didn’t measure them.

At 25 yards I got 0.95” 12 shot groups with the heavier Barracudas. The lighter FTT’s grouped worse with crazy fliers.

For the heck of it, I tried hitting some corks I have set up at 55 - 60 yards 24 times, & missed 24 times (12 shots with each pellet). I could see the pellets fly by the corks, sometimes left, sometimes right, hi, low, everywhere but where they should have gone.

I checked the crown & transfer port, & both could use a little touching up, but no big deal. I have a rig that has Spikes sticking up at the transfer port that shoots rings around this Rapid!

While Plinkering (Plinking + Tinkering = Plinkering) I noticed my pellets were getting damaged in both magazines, so after working on my magazines I was now getting 12-shot groups about the size of my previous 6-shot groups. Better, but still not acceptable.

A little more Plinkering with my Hammer Springs (my Rapid has 2 Hammer Springs, one inside the other, plus a small inertia spring, in the hammer assembly) & OH, what a difference!

My Rapid is now easier to cock, quieter, & Much more accurate. I’m now sniping pellet holes at 25 yards with either pellet, & I got three 6-shot groups in a row under 1/2” at 48 yards - all I could do before dark, because I wanted to try my 55-60 yard corks as the light faded.

Remember, my Rapid couldn’t touch these corks in it’s previous state, not even with a 55-60 yard long pole. As it got dark, I quickly loaded up a 12 shot magazine & nailed a distant cork 9 out of 12 tries in the wind, after finding my POI, with a Duplex reticle, using the FTT’s (no more crazy fliers). The pellets that missed were so close they moved the cork as they whizzed by it. I was thrilled.

The following day I hit those 55-60 yard corks at will, & proceeded to literally shoot them to pieces quite easily. I need to get my kayak out to replace them.

And the Plinkering continues.... happy.gif
--------------------------

Diamondback

Truth is Stranger than Fiction..... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Question - Best Rapid QuickFill / Gauge you have used or seen?

June 16 2017, 10:43 PM 

My bottle leaks enough when off the rifle that it ruined a Urethane oring yesterday, and almost chewed up another one today.

So what's the Best Rapid QuickFill / Gauge you have used or seen?

Diamondback

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Jun 16, 2017 10:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Kevin
(Login Mattole)
YF

Re: And the Plinkering Continues...20 cal Theoben Rapid MK2

June 16 2017, 11:26 PM 

Great story, db. Glad to hear you got your Rapid to where it is not such a picky eater..

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Thanks Brother Kevin. Same to you, that Disco is a shooter for sure.

June 17 2017, 1:21 AM 

I have a modded Disco / TKO trigger I planned on installing in my Disco, but it seems the "In" thing nowadays is to install a slicked-up Mrod trigger pack in Discos, with the necessary spacer.

My 22 Disco (one of the first 100 made) is so neat, it reminds me of the old single shot Falcon FN series rifles, in a way.

I've got a custom walnut stock on it by a former yellow member who sold many custom stocks here years ago. Follows the original lines a lot, but has an improved wrist geometry.

It nails & rips empty CO2 carts suspended at 55-60 yards, even with it's heavy trigger, when I do my part.

Hmmm...I might have another Plinkering Project...Disco / Mrod trigger mod happy.gif

Diamondback

Respond to this message   

FANG (LOBOWHITEFANG)🎯
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
YF12

Call RAPID AIR WEAPONS

June 17 2017, 8:43 AM 

You can go to the RAW site and see his gauge and quick fill blocks. He even has a section that you can see the 2 types of bottle adapters l. Yours should be the Theoben. But look to make sure. He even has the bottle adaper.

Leaking bottles when off are a common issue over time but once on the bottle cause no issues. Marring has the bottle orings. There is a trick to getting the bottles off under pressure and I think he has that listed on how to do this.

Just a heads up if you do not know this, to remove the stock for what ever reason the bottle must be removed.

14.3 shoot great as you mentioned in these guns. But the JSB 13.73 will.shoot just as good.

One other thing is if you buy the fill and gauge adapter to will have to work the stock for the set up. Not hard to do.

That gun should be a laser if set up correct. Hard to cock with much hammer cranked in is common. You might concede ordering a new hammer spring. A good cleaning and a very light lube may help also. Love the 20 caliber.

I would check the barrel bolts also and clean the barrel. I fine the most .20 with good fps are louder than most. Ldc will fix that. JMO I do shoot the .20 and have had many spring and pcp guns.
FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Thanks Brother WhiteFang, much appreciated. I was looking over the

June 17 2017, 5:16 PM 

different options of adding quick fill, gauge, reg to Theoben Rapids, & found some options I hadn't seen before.

That V block looks nice. I might even get the one with the regulator, but I need to chrony this rig to see what power output I like.

Diamondback

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.