<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Hey guys, looking for ways to remove a TKO from a recent purchased QB78.

June 17 2017 at 7:06 PM
Tim in California   (Login TimandDenise)
YF

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one...

I got this rifle about a year ago, I shot it enough to tell that it is probably clipping..I don't think I could hit a paper plate at 50ft range.

I am not the best shot in the world but I am pretty sure it's not human error. .

I loosened the two grub screws(is that the correct term?) and it doesn't want to move at all. I am no 90 pound weakling but I am unable to twist any movement into at all.

I am assuming that the previous owner glued it onto the barrel.
When I look into the business end, with a light shining into the open bolt I can tell it's crooked. I do not see any evidence of damage to the TKO but something is wacky, it's throwing pellets everywhere. .

Is there a way to take the TKO apart? I would rather not destroy it, I just want it off.

I am wanting to make a shorter barreled QB78, but as a separate project, I don't really want to cut this barrel until I find out how it shoots.

I do have a heat gun, I can get it hot. Will doing that be detrimental to the TKO?..

Any suggestions on a course of action?

Thanks in advance for your time and troubles in helping me out. .

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Kill or cure...

June 17 2017, 7:18 PM 

One of three things happened.
Could be that the set screws are spinning rather than actually turning out (they do tend to strip if you over tighten them).

Could be that it was jammed onto the end of the barrel deeper than it was designed for (they really aren't supoose to be jammed on until they hit the 1st baffle as a "stop").

Or (and likely are right about this) it's glued on.

Assuming it is glued.

Be sure the little set screws are not just loose, but OUT.

Heat the barrel about 2" back from the end of the muzzle brake (far enough back that a propane torch flam wont directly hit the TKO).

Can wrap a wet rag aroung the barrel 3" back if worried about heat transfer.

Pull and rotate the TKO while the barrel heats.

If you are careful, the glue will let go before the TKO gets over heated/melts. If he used really good slow cure epoxy (like JB Weld steel) may be hosed.

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Robert, thank you very much. I was hoping you would chime in. I'm of the

June 17 2017, 9:07 PM 

opinion that I maybe screwed on this. The heat gun I have is from my R/C aircraft days, it gets pretty dang hot but it's not propane torch hot. The usage manual advises to not use it as a hair dryer as it will crisp hair pretty readily. ..

Do you think it would be hot enough?

I do have a propane torch if I need need it, just would rather not. .

Do I need to worry about heating evenly around? Will it put a kink in the tube if not done evenly? My instinct is that it would. .

I had not removed the screws completely but I could see that they were backing out when turned. I will remove them before I try anything else.

Thanks for your insight and valuable assist. .

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

think the torch...

June 17 2017, 9:48 PM 

..would be a smaller area/ more pin-point heat source..we want to heat the barrel away from the TKO and let conduction take care of the glue bond... and less likely to also heat the TKO.

Have only had to resort to heat on the ones that were glued on (and BAM 50/51 barrels that are glued into the breech)....but have had it work with no ill effects on the barrel (depends on what was used as glue). Clear fast set drug-store epoxy gives up easier, and as that's likely the most common used, have a pretty good chance of freeing that TKO without melting anything.

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Thanks again Robert, I just now saw this, I appreciate your response. ..nt

June 18 2017, 4:13 PM 

Respond to this message   
tomas
(Login tomykay12)
YF

Call TKO

June 17 2017, 8:59 PM 

he is a right friendly guy

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Tom, thank you. I had considered that but I was hoping to pick the braintrust

June 17 2017, 9:10 PM 

here before bothering him, it being the weekend and all.

I am needing to order another unit from him for a different project, if I can not resolve this QB I will call him Monday. ..

Thanks for jumping in here, appreciated. .

Respond to this message   
Floyd Long
(Login floydlong)
YF12

When I couldn't remove a TKO I called the

June 17 2017, 9:42 PM 

manufacturer and he told me to take a 4x6 inch piece of 1/2-3/4" plywood and cut a 1 1/2" deep cut in one end just over the size of the barrel. Push the plywood up behind the TKO and tap gently with a mallet. You may have to heat it. Worked for me many times. I have 5 TKOs and I've had to remove each one at least once.

Respond to this message   
21grains
(Login 21grains)
YC

If glued try.....

June 17 2017, 11:00 PM 

Nail Polish Remover Eat's the Glue and Tap off w/care.....Franky

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Careful, acetone might eat the TKO mount that's stuck. Mine look like delrin

June 17 2017, 11:17 PM 

or some type of plastic?

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

D-back, thank you for the heads up, I appreciate your experience and concern. ..nt

June 18 2017, 4:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Frank, thanks for the thought, I appreciate your reply. ....nt

June 18 2017, 4:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Floyd, thank you for your input and experience, I appreciate that. ..nt

June 18 2017, 4:16 PM 

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

If you haven't melted it or beat it to death...

June 18 2017, 9:48 AM 

..and have a way of getting something as long as the barrel into a deep freezer, can give that a try. HAve gotten stocks off rifles that were bedded without any release agent using a freezer....give a day of deep freeze, whack all over the metal with a rubber mallet, and the bedding compound would often let go.

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Robert, again, thanks for the idea. Interesting technique..nt

June 18 2017, 4:22 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jeff D
(Login jcdx25)
YC

Have a similar project on the bench although it will be a couple weeks

June 18 2017, 2:15 PM 

Happens to be a daystate airstream that is the most secure mounting of an lcd I've ever seen. I'm going to try to save the airsteam but I will replace it if things go south. Main goal is to not damage the shroud or anything else on the rifle it's self.

Heat gun! Very gently and slowly applying heat from a couple inches away. Take your time. Don't need it to get super hot, just need to let the heat sink in to right areas.

That said, if you are not trying to salvage the TKO, cut the front off pick out whatever internals are left and heat from inside.

My airsteam is disposable in my case so I'm willing to be aggressive. If you can make it work, freezing the barrel/lcd is good idea, just make sure it's had time to completely freeze and have padded pliers on hand as you'll still need to break it loose although it shouldn't take much if it's just the glue/locktight etc...

Respond to this message   
Tim in California
(Login TimandDenise)
YF

Jeff, thanks for your experience and reply....I hope you can salvage all the parts that

June 18 2017, 4:33 PM 

you are working on. Those rifles are not exactly cheap and mucking one up would be a sad thing.
I'm not able to afford one of those upper level rifles, it would be a bad day for me if I had one and then screwed the pooch working on it. ..

My barrel /TKO issue is a back burner project, I have had the rifle over a year and haven't fussed with it much, just shot it enough to know it had a problem.

I will be doing something with it in the next few days, maybe. .

Thanks to all for assisting me, I am grateful for everyone's experience and willingness to help..

You guys are awesome. ..

Respond to this message   
Jeff D
(Login jcdx25)
YC

No worries, it's part of th fun. If you use heat, go slowly and heat the barrel...

June 19 2017, 10:58 AM 

You only need enough to break the bond. Sometimes it's surprising how little it takes.
Don't heat the TKO directly, lots of plastic to melt (mount and internals at least). The one I'll be working to get off is 100% Plastic/CF so salvage is a big ?

Prob last post/contact/use of data plan for a while so good luck.

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

I screwed a lot of stuff up with the BBF before buying a $9 HF heat gun.

June 19 2017, 4:01 PM 

Big Blue Flame.
I wouldn't hit it with anything no no no. That which has been beat cannot be un-beat!

Incidentally, anyone who says they've run a cutting torch but never caught and anything on fire is either a liar or a liar LOL!

With this in mind, I always opt for the least destructive method first.
Destructive how?
Well, take a look at what else you might heat. Seals are top of the list for things which get ruined when the BBF comes out to play.

If you go that way (and this is good advice for lots of things) wrap the tender bits in a wet towel.
But I'm not telling a welder anything he doesnt already know am I? wink.gif

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Jun 19, 2017 5:00 PM

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

Dumb question for the day

June 19 2017, 8:08 PM 

What's "TKO" mean?

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.