<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Who's familiar with & been using "carbon fiber" materials...?

June 18 2017 at 7:02 PM

MobyMyster   (Login MobyMyster)
AR&P

Wraps, tapes, etc, brands to stay away from, tips & tricks.

Much appreciated...

TIA

Moby

AuthorReply

theotherpursuit
(Login theotherpursuit)
YF

Re: Who's familiar with & been using "carbon fiber" materials...?

June 18 2017, 9:01 PM 

Rockwest has quality stuff. I have purchased some tubes from them and sold off the left over lengths I didn't need.

Jacketch
(Login jacketch)
YF12

Learn as much as you can about...

June 18 2017, 9:02 PM 

Epoxy, vacuum and degassing.

Joe B.
(Login arrowking)
YC

I'll second what has already been said

June 18 2017, 9:50 PM 

Rockwest Composites is a good company and they have good staff. Another one we use frequently is Composite Envisions. Fibreglast is another composites distributor. Their prices are usually a bit higher but they get things out quickly.

If you're asking about making parts the easiest and cheapest way is doing a hand layup. We've switched from hand layups to VARTM and have seen an increase in part strength while bringing down the weight. It is a lot trickier to get right and requires more setup. Depending on what your application is it may be worth trying.

So close, yet so far away...

Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

Check out Ebay

June 19 2017, 1:04 PM 

A lot of CF products are sold on Ebay and comes from China. Much of it is used for model helicopters and quadcopters (drones). I bought some tubing to sleeve an airgun barrel and was quite satisfied with the products. It's as good as I've seen.

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

Try golf club shafts at the thrift stores

June 19 2017, 3:37 PM 

Some guys have posted hear about buying carbon fiber shafted golf clubs at the thrift store for cheap. The tapered shaft is a good look too.

David Enoch

Calin Brabandt
(Login calinb)
YF12

I've made a bunch of airplane and motorcycle parts

June 19 2017, 4:03 PM 

out of carbon fiber. I've not shopped for supplies lately but I recommend the homebuilt aircraft suppliers. I've mostly ordered from Aircraft Spruce and Wicks but, again, I don't know what they carry, ATM:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=homebuilt+aircraft+supplies&ia=web

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.