<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Webley Osprey , who sold in USA?

July 12 2017 at 8:47 PM
EdS  (Login cthulu)
YC

I have a Webley Osprey in .177, and was wondering who sold these besides Beeman in the US? Mine is not Beeman marked so I assume maybe ARH sold the Ospreys?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Maybe

July 12 2017, 9:23 PM 

Only ones I've seen (then again, am not searching for them) were either marked Beeman or un-marked to importer (other than the Webley stamps). Maybe there are ARH stamps...I'vce just not seen them.

Mine was marked Beeman (a .177...although it seems .22's were pretty common); put the iron sights back on it and sold it to a church memeber not too long ago.

photo IMG_3695_zpsd3143870.jpg

Beeman stamped them on the cocking arm....havcen't seen anything but "beeman" or "Webly" stampings, but that doesn't mean others didn't sell them (don't think Beeman had exclusive importation for the full production run).

Respond to this message   
EdS
(Login cthulu)
YC

Re: Maybe

July 12 2017, 10:17 PM 

I wasn't sure if ARH actually stamped guns, this one just has the standard Webley markings. Maybe even Barnett brought them in like the Spitfire/tracker, but in the Spitfire case they marked them all Barnett.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

ARH

July 13 2017, 6:18 AM 

I don't believe that Air Rifle Headquarters ever had their own physical mark on their airgun imports, so I would guess that is the source of your Osprey. Beeman's stamps were done at the respective factories and not actually at his shop, of course.

Have always had a soft spot for those Webley side levers! Beautifully made and finished, elegantly styled, ridiculously sturdy air rifles that will last a lifetime.

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Jul 15, 2017 7:56 AM

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

I love those rifles too

July 13 2017, 8:03 AM 

I had a Barnett Spitfire for a while and always wanted a long gun like the Osprey. The only problem is that they don't seem to be as accurate as most guns. I expect that has to do with the bore being larger than most airguns and pellets not fitting well.

David Enoch

Respond to this message   
EdS
(Login cthulu)
YC

Webley sidelevers

July 13 2017, 8:37 AM 

Yes, i really like these sidelever webleys. I have the .177 Osprey, .177 Spitfire and a .22 Tracker. I have gas Rams in the tracker And spitfire making them real smooth shooters but they only shoot about 9ftlb which is about right for these. The accuracy on mine re pretty good once I found pellets that work in them well. Besides the old Wasps, mine seem to shoot H&N FTS best.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

Airgunning regrets!

July 15 2017, 7:13 AM 

I guess over the years, we all sell guns we'd like to have back! I have a Tracker now (in "Barnett Spitfire" guise), but have had 3 others, plus an Osprey and a walnut-stocked Viscount, that I've sold over the years. WHAT WAS I THINKING, LOL... These guns are pretty hard to find in the states now. I'd like to have that Viscount (long-barreled Tracker) back in particular, sob...

All these guns are CNC-made, and don't have the fine hand-fitting of the taps that you see in the older Webley Mk3, or pre-war sidelevers. I think tap/bore misalignment is probably the most common source of accuracy issues in them, but that can be adjusted by a guy that knows what he's doing. There used to be a fellow named Rick Oberst who specialized in exactly that, but haven't heard from him in many moons.

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Jul 15, 2017 8:00 AM

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Osprey tales

July 13 2017, 5:44 PM 

Could get the one pictured to shoot very well...not fast.

Are right, the old UK barrels did tend to be over size, but less so in .177 than in .22...or at least it's easier to find pellets in .177 that will fit the bore.

Trick for the absolute best accuracy was to find a tin of pellets that would fit into the tap easily but wouldn't drop all the way down the tap (which is slightly tapered). Would see them dropping nearly all the way down to about 1/3 the way down (which indicates they aren't exactly prefectly uniform in diameter). Push each to the end of the tap befor rotataing it closed.

What that seemed to do was "uniform them"...started off their shot-life at the same depth of seating and just about the same diameter.

For normal use, wouldn't bother with the above...just use was would shoot well 'nuff if not "ultimate".

Now I will mention the Osprey had that "piston ring" thing going on (not metal rings...a hard kind of syemnthetic material), and if you let them totally wear out, could beat the head of the piston against eht end of the cylinder.

HAs a kind of big "bumper" at the rear end (on the end cap). With time/age/use, that can harden up/crack/crumble and not act as a shock absorber.

And over a lot time shooting (bought it new in 1981-1982ish and sold it in 2007...but it was pretty much in storage for its last 6-7 years) I broke 3 main springs. Didn't weaken, all of them just eventually snapped off a rear section (3 to 6 coils).

Square stock fore end is not real friendly to the hand in off hand...and that barrel (at least on this one) is really really thick and heavy for an airgun (more like a varmint weight centerfire barrel).

Why was it ut away/stored for 6 -7 years...it bit me...but I realize it's my fault. Stored it in a ragged soft case. Some of the unwraved strings wrapped aound parts of the rifle...and evidently defeated the anti-bear trap....I left my little finger in the wrong place...it bear trapped. Last 1/2" of right "pinky" finger dangling by a 1/8" thread, but it kept circulation and they reattached it. Works, but kind of flexible and a bit numb.

And lastly, although you can't see it in the picture, I craked that stock by rolling an open Jeep over it in the lat 1980's (not WWII vintage...but likey pre-Vietnam vinatage farm-ATV...no doors, no windshield, no hood)...I jumped clear...rifle didn't. Fix was a good one, and you'd miss the repair unless you were looking for it.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

Great tips!

July 15 2017, 7:54 AM 

Very interesting reading (as are all your posts!). I've always said Webleys were tuff enuff to back your car over, and you have proved it!

I've had only one springer bear-trap adventure, with a P1 pistol. It caught three fingers which was probably lucky--they were mashed up purty good, but had it been only one finger I mighta ended up looking around on the ground for it.

Over the years I've used that same tip with loading taps--their bore is always tapered (very obvious if you accidentally install one upside down during a re-build!), and will act as a quite efficient built-in skirt sizer. I actually made myself a little tool to facilitate that--about a 3-inch length of hobby shop brass tubing, with a blob of epoxy putty as a pusher knob on one end. I use that tool and always start with the biggest skirts when sighting in a tap-loader (which in .177 = RWS pellets).

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Jul 15, 2017 8:09 AM

Respond to this message   
Mark N
(Login MarkinJHawkland)
YF

Well I gotta learn the new tricks sometime

July 13 2017, 7:11 PM 

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/yrw9yL5dPx4fmgk9gYLtTnotFFNA3N1hmj73JcV0mDq

Well shoot. I guess maybe I can't use Amazon Prime to host photos........

Mark N

Respond to this message   
EdS
(Login cthulu)
YC

Nice stock

July 13 2017, 8:00 PM 

Wow, that's a really nice stock on that one. Is that an Osprey or a Viscount?

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login MarkinJHawkland)
YF

Tracker Deluxe

July 13 2017, 8:30 PM 

It's actually a Tracker Deluxe. I'm rather fond of it. I've been told there's not many in the states.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/3iOPxepmLvF1iC5xKdAlHpsPl2zuKn0ZqT42BC22E4Y

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/p6rKGdRzneCmuj9WBsWb0DUyVRwiPTIhbCuUgvHRU7Q

Actually maybe you can still see the pics in my original post? I can:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1452129675

Please let me know if the pics are there. Thanks,
Mark N

This message has been edited by MarkinJHawkland on Jul 13, 2017 8:45 PM

Respond to this message   
EdS
(Login cthulu)
YC

Deluxe stock

July 13 2017, 10:34 PM 

I should have noticed since I have a deluxe, but I bought mine about 15 yrs ago from a guy in Wales and when it got here in the states the stock was cracked in half. I reglued it but in the meantime had picked up the camo Tracker stock as a replacement (supposedly the rarest stock version) and put the walnut deluxe one away in a closet, so didn't recognize it! Still quite a few of the cool webleys like trackers, eclipse etc in the UK but nobody will ship them here anymore. Just saw a nice Eclipse Sandwell Field Sprts was selling in the UK but they said it was to much of a hassle now there to ship to USA.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.