<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Steyr LG110 ft scope rings query

July 12 2017 at 11:12 PM
Tony  (Login tonyv138)
YF12

I am looking for some information.
I have Steyr LG110 FT (16J) with the standard Steyr Weaver rail. The scope is Sightron SIII 10x50-60. With current rings the scope center line is 58mm above the bore center line. I measured this via the foil and pinhole method. The rifle shoots really high @25M. I had to turn elevation knob 1.5 turns from optical center to bring the POI down.

Looking to see if someone else has been in the same boat and how did you solve this problem.

I am considering to purchase a set of adjustable rings to solve this issue - Burris XTR or Sportsmatch ATP 72. If someone uses Burris XTR what model do you use and how do you like these in terms of adjustability and in general.

thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

If you will be "clicking", you are about perfect.

July 13 2017, 3:02 AM 

You will be "clicking" around optical center. Don

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login tonyv138)
YF12

Re: If you will be "clicking", you are about perfect.

July 13 2017, 7:56 AM 

Have not decided if i am. The scope is MOA-H so I can hold over. I am considering this as a strong possibility.
Come to think of it, i do not understand the reason for "about perfect", can you please help me understand.

This message has been edited by tonyv138 on Jul 13, 2017 8:34 AM

Respond to this message   
Don Armstrong
(Login doninva1)
YF12

Tony, when clicking, I like to have my zero below optical center.

July 13 2017, 11:34 PM 

When l click, it will be up, so l will be headed toward optical center.I shoot WFTF and my 10 yard is 72 clicks and 55 yard is 52 clicks so I'm around center most of my shots. Don

This message has been edited by doninva1 on Jul 13, 2017 11:36 PM

Respond to this message   

Skip in WV
(Login SkipinWV)
YF12

Whatever rings you use

July 13 2017, 8:37 AM 

The higher the scope is the farther out your zero point will be. And, more holdover or clicks will be required for close targets.

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

I wouldn't change a thing

July 13 2017, 11:18 AM 

Tony the scope rail probably has some elevation compensation in it and if it is shooting 15 minutes high at 25 and the windage is about centered, I would say that is good. If you are going to click you will be clicking up nearly a full revolution at 10 yds and if you are going to hold over it doesn't matter.
Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login tonyv138)
YF12

Re: I wouldn't change a thing

July 13 2017, 2:05 PM 

Terry, i just shot 10m with optically centered scope. It shoots 5MM high and 5MM to the left. Not too bad for 10M. But playing with the chairgun i see that the trajectory hits 5.3mm high at 10M, then up up and away, close to 30min at the apex @50M. I have measured the velocity, and it is @795fps average of 10 shots. I know I can't completely trust the cheairgun, still it is a reasonable approximation.

-tony

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Burris "Z" rings

July 13 2017, 4:25 PM 

Tony if you want to get closer to optical center, get the Burris "Z" rings, medium ht. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548398483/burris-30mm-signature-zee-weaver-style-rings-matte
That will come with a 2 sets of +/- .010" inserts that should be about what is needed depending on your ring spacing. If your rings are spaced 4" apart you will get roughly 20 MOA of adjustment. Or just use 1 set of .010" inserts and get 10 MOA. They can also be used to offset windage .
Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

This message has been edited by TerryVanpool on Jul 13, 2017 4:29 PM

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login tonyv138)
YF12

Re: Burris "Z" rings

July 13 2017, 11:12 PM 

Thank you - interesting. Did not know of these.

Respond to this message   
Mike N
(Login RangerMike)
YF12

Sportsmatch rings

July 13 2017, 8:11 PM 

Tony sportsmatch all the way I just set up a styer challenger with a Sightron slll had the same problem. The sportsmatch rings are adjustable by a small Allen very handy. This is what I did (you will need two people , one to shoot and hold the rifle and one to adjust the rings.
1. Optically center your scope.
2. Set out target at a distance you want to center your scope at .
2. Shoot the rifle from a rest or bags at a dot on the target , aming point and pellet hole have to be visible.
3. After the shot, sight on the aming point again. once you are sighted on the aming point do not move gun! Hold the gun on the aming point while looking through the scope,
4. have your steady hand helper loosen elevation locking screw on both sets of rings just enough that they can adjust elevation on the rings using the supplied Allen key .
5. While holding the gun still, looking through the scope and cross hairs on the aming point have your helper adjust the elivation of the rings while you call out directions (did I mention do not move gun) until the crosshairs hairs are on the pellet hole.
6. Lock down rings and fire another pellet at aiming point if you hit your aiming point you are centered. Repeat if nesscary.
I am no expert but this worked for me.

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login tonyv138)
YF12

Re: Sportsmatch rings

July 13 2017, 11:20 PM 

Thank you. I understand what you have done. few follow up questions.
- based on the description, i think you used ATP72. Did you need to adjust the windage using scope then? what is the reason you decided against ATP66 + RB6
- what did you do to line up the center line of the bore with the center line of the scope to ensure that the pellet travels in line with the vertical reticle. Assuming no wind and the scope is perfectly plumbed

thanks!

Respond to this message   
Mike n
(Login RangerMike)
YF12

Sportsmatch

July 14 2017, 8:02 AM 

I used sportsmatch Spm- atp61 with a weaver to dovetail adapter that is low dont know manafature. These combined with steyr rail will give you a flatter ark at longer distances but will take more adjustment of the scope at shorter distances. My windage was close so I adjusted with scope clicks. I did have a problem with a cheap adapter that through my windage off, I replaced
With other adapter and brought windage back in. you can use fully adjustable rings to solve both windage and elivation.
Good luck.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.