<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

advice on DIY inlettting of FWB 124 stock

July 14 2017 at 8:18 PM
John  (Login jcerne2)
YF12

Hi All,

I'd like to make a new stock for my FWB 124 and would appreciate any advice that you may have on inletting it, especially on aligning the slanted front stock screw holes. I made a stock for this rifle a long time ago (http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1493157953/FWB+124+and+FWB+300S+Shootout ) and forgot exactly how I aligned the holes, but remember having a hard time and having to re-drill the front holes after the first attempt was off.

I'm thinking about placing a wooden dowel with the same OD as the receiver cylinder in the receiver groove in the old stock and then drilling all the way through that dowel using the existing receiver screw holes in the old stock to guide the bit. Unfortunately, these stock holes are not very deep, so the alignment of the drill bit with the holes won't be great. Then the dowel can be placed in the receiver groove of the new stock and the holes in the dowel can be used to guide the drill bit to make new holes in the new stock. Does this sort of hole transfer sound reasonable? It looks like the holes are at about 30 degrees from horizontal and do not align with the center of the receiver tube. Once I get these screw holes drilled, then I also need to figure out how to get the counterbores for the screw heads to align with the holes.

Are people using some kind of jig to drill these holes? Please let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Scott Hull
(Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Re: advice on DIY inlettting of FWB 124 stock

July 14 2017, 9:52 PM 

Your dowel idea sounds like a great solution.

I would use a long wood dowel and use it for all three stock screws. Do the rear vertical hole first. Use that vertical hole as the primary reference for aligning/drilling the front screws in the dowel, and new stock.

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

That sounds like a great Ideal , I never done inletting but from a mechanical veiw

July 15 2017, 12:11 PM 

Its a lot easier to re do another dowel if you are off. What Scott mention is obviously another good Ideal

Good luck on that stock !

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

Another thought / Let one of the stock makers do it, and you can finish the rest

July 15 2017, 12:23 PM 

cost more money but it may be worth it to guarantee the rest of your hard work and efforts.

Respond to this message   
Michael McKeown
(Login perfcomp)
YF

Over drill/glass bed

July 16 2017, 3:08 AM 

You might over drill the hole until the screw fits into the action, wax it, and glass bed it with epoxy. When cured, drill it out to a clearance diameter. It'll be absolutely perfect, and you'll have a glass hard-point for the screw.
Michael McKeown

Respond to this message   
John
(Login jcerne2)
YF12

Re: Over drill/glass bed

July 23 2017, 5:51 PM 

Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas!

John

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.