<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

FWB 65 MK II Question

July 15 2017 at 7:36 PM
Frank Alessio  (Login fsa70)
YF12

Can someone tell me the first year the FWB 65 MK II started using two springs ?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: FWB 65 MK II Question

July 15 2017, 9:03 PM 

Around 1980, iirc. Beeman called the longer one the Mk.1 and the shorter(Junior in FWB-speak) the Mk.2.
"\"\""

This message has been edited by garczar on Jul 15, 2017 9:05 PM

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

Bill we had this MK II discussion about a year ago and

July 16 2017, 12:15 AM 

I was under the impression that all MK II's were short barrel pistol
but that doesn't seem to be the case, MK II's could be long or short barreled pistols
I wish a had all the back and forth but they twisted my arm and I changed my mind, what little I have

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1073452701/How+do+I+tell+if+my+FWB-65+is+a+MK+I+or+a+MK++II-+nt

some more info, look for Mike Driskill post
mike

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Re: FWB 65 MK II Question

July 16 2017, 5:59 AM 

Thanks guys.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

About 1980 or a little before

July 16 2017, 8:15 AM 

I believe the second spring was one of the modifications that appeared on the 65 at the time the model 80 was released. The grip tang was lengthened and the sights changed then, as well.

The second spring is a very light one, that actually fits inside the main spring (they don't go end-to-end as in the FWB 300S rifles). I think it was intended more to reduce vibration, there is no way it can add much power. I believe I'm correct in saying, it's no longer available as a spare part, and is often deleted in modern rebuilds.

The "Mark" numbers were purely marketing inventions by Beeman, they did not come from the Feinwerkbau factory. Beeman originally called the improved post-model 80, long-barrelled 65 the "Mk 1," and the short-barreled version the "Mk 2." But near the end of the 65's production run, FWB discontinued the short version...so the long version got "promoted" to "Mk 2" in the Beeman catalog!

Although US shooter Don Nygord famously used a 65 shorty to set a world record, he did not invent the gun or have it custom made as the Beeman catalog claimed. FWB offered short-barrel "Junior" versions of the 65 from the earliest days of its production.

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

MD

July 16 2017, 8:56 AM 

It was my understanding that they did in fact go to the double spring like the FWB 300S. From what I've read, the "inner" small spring didn't really amount to much so it was discontinued. BUT, this is only what I've read and don't have first hand knowledge.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

I think we are saying the same thing...

July 16 2017, 2:08 PM 

...the second spring in the 65, as you said, is a light one that fits inside the much heavier mainspring. I've frankly never been convinced it did much of anything! And it seems to have come and gone in 65 production without much notice.

The double springs in the FWB 300S are a completely different concept. The action's main spring is in fact two short springs, which are wound in opposite directions, and which fit end-to-end inside the receiver. This idea was probably borrowed from the earlier Walther LGV target rifle--in fact, the spring assemblies for these two guns are interchangeable--the idea being to lessen the torque effect as the spring expands.

Walther didn't invent this concept either. The classic BSA underlevers first used such a spring more than 100 years ago!

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

sometimes i swear no one read the posts above theres LOL HI Mike NT

July 16 2017, 3:02 PM 

mike

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.