<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Went to buy a lathe tonight and walked out with an old Talon as well

July 16 2017 at 10:33 PM

Abrackeen  (Login Abrackeen)
YF12

I went to go look at a used Jet lathe a few hours ago. The old boy was asking what I made on my current machines so I told him air rifles. I was expecting a chuckle, but instead he said I've got a few one was even made here in Fort Worth. I asked if it was an Air Force rifle. He confirmed and said lemme go get it for you. Sure enough it's an old Talon S/N A000041. We haggled for a bit on the lathe, but I never forgot the Talon. Once we agreed on a price for the lathe I asked if he's sell the Talon as well. He said yes, throw in an extra $100. I couldn't pass on it. So now I get to explain to my wife yet another air rifle.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Abrackeen
(Login Abrackeen)
YF12

One question as well.

July 16 2017, 10:46 PM 

I see Talon s/n's start with B. This one is definitely A. Why is this one different?

Thanks,
Austin

Respond to this message   
Bruce Scott
(Login Bruce.net)
YF12

A Series

July 17 2017, 8:26 AM 

My understanding is the A series only have two barrel screws instead of the current four.

Nice score for $100.

Respond to this message   

Abrackeen
(Login Abrackeen)
YF12

A Series

July 17 2017, 9:35 AM 

Can confirm only 2 barrel screws. I've never had a non Spin Loc one. How much of a pain is it to fill the old ones? If it's a huge pain hopefully I can convert this one over.

Respond to this message   

Abrackeen
(Login Abrackeen)
YF12

Heard back from Air Force

July 17 2017, 12:31 PM 

Heard back from Air Force. It's an early production Talon. 97-98. Nothing special or unique about it other than the very low serial number. Nothing wrong with that, I'll definitely get my money back out of it plus a little.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(Login pluric)
YF12

Spin loc conversion

July 18 2017, 12:03 PM 

I had AirForce make my older Talon into a spinloc set up. I can't recall the
cost but I didn't think it was bad and the turnover was fast. I mainly wanted
to know what was left in the tank. I have a couple other spinlocs and the upgrade
made them all the same and I don't have to carry the large bottle fill cap around.

Respond to this message   

Abrackeen
(Login Abrackeen)
YF12

Conversion

July 18 2017, 12:20 PM 

I had actually talked to them about doing it. Was $50 if I didn't need a completely new bottle. I passed though. I like the rifle, but I decided I'm going to just clean it up, get a few strings on the chrony and then sell or trade it. I'm hoping since it's a first run, low low serial number I can get a better price. I'm not holding my breath though. I'd just like to get my wife her own Condor without coming out of pocket too much.

Respond to this message   

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

Can't help ya on the Talon....

July 18 2017, 5:57 PM 

but would like to see the Jet lathe over on the machining forum.....LOL
sounds like a good deal on both items.

TM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.