<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

TX200 Mark III fixed

August 9 2017 at 8:17 AM
Karl  (Login KarlH60)
YF12

All,

First, thanks to all that have corresponded and for your suggestions. To recap the history of the gun:

1) It was purchased new in April 2014. Within the first 300 pellets through it, the rifle broke reticles in two scopes. One was a Hawke and the second a Leapers.

2) Shortly after installing a third scope, the piston seal failed. The gun was sent back for warranty repair and the seal replaced.

3) The gun continued to shoot just as inaccurately as it had when I got it back from being repaired as it had since it was first taken out of the box. I tried 20 different pellets, but could never get better that a five shot 3/4" to 1" group at 25 yards.

4) Beyond a doubt, it was the most hold sensitive spring gun I own or have ever owned.

I put the gun back in the safe for two years and took it out this summer to try again. No change in performance. It was just a "full choke" spring rifle. Also, the replacement seal was failing after about 150 shots and was making a "cork out of a wine bottle" sound when I was cocking it.

After the suggestions made in response to my last two posts, I ordered a Vortek tune kit and installed it last weekend. I found nothing loose, bent, scarred, etc. when I had the rifle apart. Other than the piston seal, everything looked absolutely normal. I cleaned everything up, installed the Vortek seal and spring kit, lubed all per instructions, re-torqued the four stock screws and shot it.

There was an immediate change in the gun. No twang, much gentler recoil, and most of all, the accuracy. It is a different rifle, and now I am experimenting with front rests and pellets. With a bag about 2 to 3 inches in front of the trigger guard and a very light hold on the grip, I can actually get decent groups out of it. Using an artillery hold, I see no change in POI.

Now that it groups, it is obvious that it needs larger head size pellets. It likes Crosman HP's, and 5.54 mm head H&N FTT 14.66 grain. JSB 5.52 head 15.89 grain also seem to do well. If it ever quits raining down here, I'll shoot it some more.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Martin
(Login Mr9ball)
YF12

Re: TX200 Mark III fixed

August 9 2017, 4:01 PM 

Mine shoots JSB exacts and AA Diablos with 4.52mm heads. Seems loose fit but it shoots holes next to previous holes at 60 yards off my benchrest.

I think you're shooting too heavy of pellets. Mine are 8.4gr, within the range that JM says to shoot. You're stressing the spring shooting your heavy pellets. 10.5gr would be the heaviest I'd shoot. I always shoot the 8.4gr religiously.o

Glad you had success. Did you say you changed the breech seals?

Respond to this message   
Kelly
(Login kdhope1)
YF

Hes 22 cal. Nt.

August 9 2017, 4:21 PM 

Respond to this message   
Martin
(Login Mr9ball)
YF12

August 9 2017, 4:59 PM 

DOH! MK3, my bad. My 22 MK5, a modded MK3, shoots CP 14.3 domes perfectly. Any hollow point or pointed pellets skew at my range.

Have fun with yours!

Respond to this message   
Karl
(Login KarlH60)
YF12

TX200 Mark III fixed

August 10 2017, 7:32 AM 

Martin,

No, I left the breech seals alone although I do have a set. I have shot the Crosman 14.3 grain Ultramag since installing the tune kit, but for some reason, I get better groups with the hollow points. It may have something to do with the dies that the pellets were made on, as I see considerable variability in the Crosman 7.9 grain HP pellets and assume something similar goes on with their .22's.

I've tried pointed pellets and see the same skewing problem as you have observed. As far as accuracy, RWS Superdomes are awful followed by the JSB RS and Air Arms Falcon pellets. Since these guns have a 9 inch barrel, the pellet "fit" has to be right for them to stabilize properly.

I have not shot the rifle over a chrono yet either, but suspect it is shooting a little slower than with the factory parts.

It has rained here seven days in a row and when it dries up and cools off a little, I'll take the TX200 to the gun club and shoot beyond 25 yards.

Respond to this message   
Martin
(Login Mr9ball)
YF12

August 10 2017, 12:45 PM 

My 22 TX MK5 is Vortek kitted also. You will definitely notice a reduction in power compared to factory due to the 28 coil springs. The benefit is outstanding though. It is SWEET! The 14.3 CP Premier Domed Ultra Magnums have, and still amaze me. I have a big stock of them now, and they will not collect dust.

You can somewhat inspect breech seals with an open chamber and the right viewing angle, using a small handhelt light. If they look nicely rounded like new ones, your fine. I would still replace at least the top one if my TX was stored for 2 years with the breech seals compressed.

You are still breaking in the new kit so there will be settling, some diesling and lubes to clear. Hone in your hold sensitivity...these guns CAN make more daylight from the last hole hole you made with the right pellet and execution off of a bench rest.

Do try those same domed pellets if you haven't. I have used then for years.

BTW, these domes are 5.5mm head size. Very snug fit.

This message has been edited by Mr9ball on Aug 10, 2017 12:49 PM

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

I am glad it worked out for you

August 10 2017, 8:19 AM 

Nothing is more stressful than having a rifle that you KNOW can shoot but it isn't or it can't due to some type of mechanical issue.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.