<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Looking for a very low profile red dot for a dovetail mount

August 9 2017 at 11:23 AM

JPO  (Login JPOkal)
YC

I've got a few really low profile red dots like Burris fastfires, Vortex Venom's, and similar (cheaper) types of teeny pistol sized sights.

All of the darn things have weaver mount bases or similar bases. I can't find dovetail mounts as I'd like to use them on airguns and rimfires.

Anyone know of any good sources? NOT looking for an adapter mostly because I'd like the mount to sit as close to the receiver as possible and don't want the added height of an adapter piece.

Also, hi guys! I've been gone for some time!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Alex in Upstate NY
(Login awilde)
YF12

Lots of red dots with built-in 3/8 dovetail mounts

August 9 2017, 12:03 PM 

Respond to this message   

JPO
(Login JPOkal)
YC

Yeah, but I'm talking about these sort of sights

August 9 2017, 12:59 PM 

Respond to this message   
Earl
(Login daystate395)
YF12

Low Profile Red Dot

August 9 2017, 5:15 PM 

I have a Burris Fastfire 3 on one of my air rifles. It is low profile and good quality. The original battery is still in it and iv'e used it for about six months. I don't know how long they last. Having owned about six red dot sights, the Burris is the best of the lot.

Respond to this message   
Ed
(Login EdinGa)
YF

Re: Looking for a very low profile red dot for a dovetail mount

August 9 2017, 12:05 PM 

I know you said no adapters, but I use these and they really don't add to the height of the sight. I have them on a rimfire with Weaver low rings and the scope is almost touching the receiver.

http://www.pyramydair.com/product-all-reviews/a/UTG_11mm_3_8_Dovetail_to_Weaver_Adapter_2pcs/4148

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

JPO, do what Ed said.

August 9 2017, 1:50 PM 

The adapter that he referenced really does add NO height. It fits within the jaws of the weaver clamp. I've personally used them on Crosman guns and a Beeman P1. Legit.

This message has been edited by RockDoc65 on Aug 9, 2017 2:28 PM

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Can try one of these on a mini-dot...

August 9 2017, 5:36 PM 

..been working for me.

One solution is an adaptor,,,and one that maintains low profile.

This one is super simple. It's a spring loaded two piece adaptor. HAs (for our use) a useless set screw that can be removed.

photo 4f0b2364-64d3-4525-a5fa-bf8c9156a1e9.jpg

Compress the spring loaded adaptor and snap it into the base of the weaver-cut sight. With it in place, when you crank down on the Weaver/Picatinny lock screw, it clamps down on the 3/8" adaptor, which gives the 3/8" rail firmly.

Thin there were a little less when I bought them...and you do get a PAIR of them:
photo 9e1860ed-7c2e-4351-bf1e-3130aa4a4608.jpg

Been using one on a MK1 for some time. It's as low as possible (it's actually lower than the Weaver bas would allow), sight goes on and off just fine, and zero isn't greatly disturbed (so long as you are careful to tighten the same).

photo bf47936c-c93c-4801-9e6f-1cc4b2794c41.jpg

BUT...I'm not really in love with screw adjustments (which is what the mini-sights have)....kind of miss the "clicks" of a windage/elevation turret. Can get them sighted in, but it's like a ping-pong-match (a little too far one way...too far the other...back and forth until you meet in the middle).

Respond to this message   

Hakalaka
(Login Hakalaka)
AR&P

That type of "Red Dot" is referred to as a "Reflex" sight. Burris, Vortex and...

August 11 2017, 12:43 AM 

some lesser known brands are available for touchy feely at Cabelas, Bass Pro, LGS, Academy....

They range in Price and Quality and are usually evident that you pay more for quality.
Semper Fi Mac!

1986-1992 U.S.M.C. 1st Force Reconnaissance Co.
1993-1996 U.S.N.R E.O.D. MU-7
1999-2002 U.S.A.R. DRILL SGT/11B/11C
2007-2009 U.S.A.R. DRILL SGT/11B/11C/19D
2010-2015 U.S.A DRILL SGT.11B/11C/19D(SFC-RETIRED ON ACTIVE DUTY)
2017-?? GOING TO MACHINIST SCHOOL-STARTING NEW ADVENTURES

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Nydar

August 12 2017, 12:09 PM 

Think they got started before my time (something like 1946-1948), but were pretty much a mini-heads-up WWII fighter display. Basically a projected aim point on a two-way mirror front (but rather than a P-51 wind screen, was a little circle of glass).

Anyway, with an old hunting buddy of my father with me, was urged to give one a try when one was found (new in the box) at a local gun show in the early 1970's.

DARNED if that thing didn't work..and in retrospect, other than being kind of coarse, work as well as today's reflex sights (after all, they pretty well work on the same system).

BUT...that system, as today's systems, work in a two-way mirror. Can see out, but enough reflection to still see the projected dot. Do the aiming eye is working with much less light than clear glass.

Do the only advice I can give is to keep both eyes open (so long as you aiming eye is the dominant eye)...it's almost 3MOA dot scope-precision in good light, a good bit less precise in bad light, but it can be fast.

Got hooked,,,tried one of the first Aimpoints (big-arse Swedish made sights), and really liked them for big guns (mostly PB shooters in large calibers) on moving game (which is what I mostly experience).

There were occluded sights...you couldn't see though the tube, was just a dot in a blank space, which pretty much forced both eyes to stay open. Some were fiber optic (Weaver QuickPoint), some wither tritium. They also worked, but really big dots, an really were for just fast, not precision.

Then, in recent years, tried the various "hologram" type sights. Didn't find enough difference to make me pull-up stakes and move.

Not that I don't like red dots...reflex or other wise...just that they are NOT the answer to every question. Are a damned good answer to fast.good 'nuff...not such a great answer to precision/perfect hold.

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Aug 12, 2017 12:58 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.