<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

50 bull target, 100+ shots with my .177 HW95 over two days.

August 11 2017 at 9:52 PM

nced  (Login SpringerEd)
YF12

I haven't posted a 100 shot target for a long time so I thought I would have some fun upstairs at 18 yards shooting "bucket and sticks" since a THAGC field target match is scheduled for tomorrow and I thought the "shooting form practice" couldn't hurt.

The gun Is the .177 HW95 I bought a couple seasons ago on a $299+shipping special deal. The gun has a 4-12x50 Hawke Airmax AO mounted in cheap Weaver rings clamped to a Weaver to dovetail adapter..........
[img][linked image][/img]
The pellets are die lot marked and dated CPLs from the 1250 count box (die "B"s) that were head sized to 4.48mm (or 4.50mm) and lubed with Slick50 OneLube........

I've been reading posts where folks were having trouble with their springers holding zero from one hour to the next (much less one day to the next) so I shot a "zero session" on the first day plus 66 shots in one session. The second day I shot one shot into the "zero bull verifying that the zero followed by the remaining 38 shots without rezeroing the scope. Here is a scan of the target......
Two shots for each bull except 1 thru 4 which have 3 shots per bull. The bulls are 1/4" diameter and the game was to at least "hit the circle" with the edge of a pellet. Most shots were pretty good but some were indeed "wide of the circle" by a "pellet width" except for two that were a further off the mark. LOL..those that are wide of the circle are due to swaying on the bucket while resting the gun on cross sticks.

One of the purposes of shooting 100 shot targets is trying to "follow thru" with the shot, however at times it does seem my efforts are simply trying to "teaching a coconut how to talk"! :o
Anywhoo...while it seems I'm having a "long row to hoe" my latest 100+ shot target does show that the practice is helping some! ;D

I started shooting 100 bull targets at 18 yards "from bucket and sticks" a few years ago attempting to improve my shooting form and here is scans of an attempt to hit 3/8" diameter bulls in Jan 6, 2016......

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on Aug 13, 2017 3:18 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
James Holmes
(Login AAS410)
YF

Great shooting

August 12 2017, 1:47 AM 

Like to see posts that show many shots like this. I think I will practice bucket and sticks tomorrow with a couple of my guns. I love the Primos Trigger sticks that my wife bought me. I used to have to sneak close to a tree when hunting bushy tails and would spook some off in the process. Could never shoot well off handed. With the trigger sticks when a squirrel barks at me or I see one I do not have to take another step and take a chance scaring them off. I have shot squirrels up to lasered 90 yards standing using the trigger sticks and 16x scope.I used chairgun so I knew the yardage of each mill dot. Also carry a range finder with me. Mostly keep it within 60 yards however. I was using a .30 PCP that shot many 1/4" 50 yard 5 shot groups from bench under best of conditions. That PCP almost always shot 1/2" or better 5 shot groups from bench at 50 yards when the conditions were great.

I wish I could shoot a springer as good as you off the sticks. Think I will try my 12 ft/lb Air Arms TX200 tomorrow off the sticks. It is detuned by Paul Watts with the o ring piston mod by Casey. Hopefully it will not be hold sensitive off the sticks. I hope I can shoot close to as good as you do with a springer some day. If I can get my back against something the trigger sticks are even more stable.

Would you care to post the blank targets here so I can copy and print out to try?

Also like your posts letting people know about the Crosman Premier pellets and what you do to get the best accuracy out of these pellets. I purchased several brown box .177 and .22 Premier pellets before they quit boxing them due to your posts. I am glad I did.

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

A couple replies.

August 12 2017, 9:57 PM 

"Would you care to post the blank targets here"
I created targets using CAD software and some of them are available "for free" on the Tar Heel Airgun Club web site under "targets".......
http://www.thagc.com/
I created them to fit the standard 8 1/2" x 11" letter format.

"what you do to get the best accuracy out of these pellets"
Actually, for my .177 HW95 with the tighter leads and my .177 R9 which has a looser leade shoot "unmollested large head" CPL straight from the box accurately. The problem with the HW95 and unsized CPL was the fact that loading them in the leade was a "sore finger proposition" after a shooting session. Also, if I wasn't careful when pressing the CPL into the tight HW95 leade this could happen if the pellet wasn't seated properly........
I found that I could make a pellet head sizer that would size a standard 4.54mm CPL head to a 4.48mm (or 4.50mm) head which eased pellet loading considerably. Recently I bought another .177 HW95 barrel from the SSSO Weihrauch parts inventory sell-off and found that it also had a tight leade like my .177 HW95. I replaced the "looser leade" .177 R9 barrel with the new HW95 barrel from SSSO so the same sized pellet head loads properly in both guns.

I really haven't noticed that a sized pellet is any more accurate from my HW95 if seated at the proper depth in the leade, however the sized CPL pellet head does mave loading an easier task.

Respond to this message   
James Holmes
(Login AAS410)
YF

Thank you very much. n/t

August 13 2017, 5:04 PM 

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

If I remember correctly there is several factors that proven successful

August 12 2017, 3:27 AM 

with your shooting good groups with a maintained zero.

the white Krytox lube over the old oiled lube or molly proved to be less prone to having the P O I shifting in temperature swings.

Bit of a de tune on the typical power of the R-9 / I venture to say the spring you use has by now proven to work out best for you.

Barrel maintained, another words cleaned in the Intervals you have deemed ready to be cleaned again. lol when the groups wonder

Barrel forks tighten to your specific tension that you go with.

gees the list could go on and on, thees are some of the ones I think I remember from your past post.

rite down to the scope mounting and pellet sizing, cleaning, and light lubing

not to mention your O ring piston cap with the delrin wiper if we can call it that (wiper)

the big ticket also is the time and prep by shooting the 100 bulls including reducing the bulls down to 1/4" size from 3/8

Your amazing dedication over the years and persistence to achieve a great shoot in my book is second to none.

I guess we all find are thing in airguns I like the plinking and tuning the different guns I get into and the projects that may come to mind, I'll shoot for groups if I am in the mood too. heck two days out of the week doesn't leave much
but thats what I have. any way I enjoyed your post since I first stumbled across them and learned from them, neat ideals neat finding etc.. yep absolutely.

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Yep.......your comments are true, however, IMHO.........

August 12 2017, 10:13 PM 

while my mods do make my break barrels more consistent under varying atmospheric conditions, I also found that as long as the shooting session has a rather consistent temperature the standard HW95 with newer design thick edged piston seal and "dinosaur oil based lubes" are also consistent after a few more warm up shots that what is required with Krytox and an oring sealed piston cap.

A perfect example is the THAGC field target match I shot today. All but about a half hour of the match was shot in direct sun on a day with about a 98 degree heat index and my HW95 got really hot simply setting in the sun or in the gun case between my "moments in the shooting box". I did mis some targets due to the wind, some goofy trigger work, missing 6 out of 8 offhand/kneeling shots because I stink when I'm the only gun support, however I did feel that the gun was shooting consistently from the cooler temps at 9:00am to the hotter temps at about 12:30pm when the match ended and the misses were simply "shooter induced".

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

98 degrees by 12:30 is pretty hot , how was the humidity ? Have you notice a change

August 12 2017, 11:29 PM 

in the P O I... when Its hot and humid

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

LOL.....that was a 98 degree HEAT INDEX with the humidity.

August 13 2017, 8:31 AM 

For example, the forecast for today in Rougemont is a high of only 79 degrees but with the humidity the "REAL FEEL" (heat index) is to be 95 degrees. Anywhoo....perhaps I confused you by using "bad terminology".

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on Aug 13, 2017 8:34 AM

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Most excellent springer shooting.

August 12 2017, 11:34 AM 

Better than I can springer-shoot by a mile, and a damned good argument for dedication/practice.

..but I'm going to have to put my dollar up and ask for a re-score on #77 and #27

(Yeah...showing my age...likely been a long-long time from now to back when you needed to put a dollar up for a rescore.)

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Aug 12, 2017 11:58 AM

Respond to this message   

BeachBumPete
(Login Matospeter)
YF12

Jeez man....

August 12 2017, 5:18 PM 

Have you not worn out that damn barrel yet??? You must have a billion shots down that tube by now LOL. Well done my friend.

Pete
Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC machining and prototyping
Port St. Lucie, Florida
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

LOL......not quite a "billion", however........

August 12 2017, 10:23 PM 

I have pretty much gone through my last buy of CPLs in June 27, 2015............

Here's what was left in May of 2016.......

Still, my current shooting isn't anywhere near what it was when living in West Virginia where I was shooting about 15,000 shots per year (roughly a 1250 count box of CPLs per month).

LOL.....I know'd ya wuz jest yankin my chain but I have yet to wear out a .177 R9 or HW95 barrel! wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

I find that the 100 bull shots is

August 13 2017, 2:43 PM 

very humbling. But it also gives me almost like an exercise of stamina

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.