<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Just Thinking Out Loud--May Start Doing Some Springer Tuning Again

August 11 2017 at 11:55 PM
Ed Krzynowek  (Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Some of you may remember me around here. I tuned a lot of spring piston air rifles over the period of many, many years. I've been out of that game for something like 3-4 years now, but I haven't forgotten what I learned.

I stopped doing the work for awhile there due to health issues that have been totally resolved for more than a year. I feel much better than I did before, thankfully! In fact, I can honestly say that for the past year I've felt better than I did during the previous 25 years. That's what I call a major turnaround in the best way.

I want to make clear that the work was never much of an income booster or what you could call a real money-making business, although I took the work itself very-seriously. It was only a hobby-business that gave me something to do to keep my hands busy and find some pride in who I am. Several people liked the work I did for them. You can probably find some posts on this forum to that effect.

During the time I was previously tuning, it wasn't how I supported myself. I was using it as some scant-little supplemental income to add to my 'real' income that came from taking early retirement. I couldn't have possibly lived off of what I was taking in, and I don't need or plan to do so now. I couldn't do so now and keep the quality high.

Admittedly, there was a period of time when I was tuning that my lead time became very-long due to simply taking too many jobs on at a time, trying to 'serve too many masters' or be a sort of champion of sorts to the airgun-quality-afflicted. I cleaned up that problem before I stopped tuning, though, and was getting the air rifles out of here in a reasonable amount of time before I quit. If I do start tuning again, just so you'll know, I'm still going to keep the workload small and the return times reasonable, as I did at the end of my previous tenure.

The thing is, the mechanical problems I see described now, and the potential for improvement in what the factories still deliver remain about the same as it was before. I know I could improve many makes and models of air guns out there for those who want that sort of thing done. However, as I learned before the hard way, an air gun tune definitely isn't the cure for a product that comes terribly-defective from the factory or has been badly chopped-up due to some well-meaning but untrained DIY work. Said another way, yes I can cure some mechanical ills but I can't actually raise the dead. What a good does is take a decent product with good potential and makes it better, period. That's the extent of my ability. "A man has to know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood, from Magnum Force I think).

If I start doing the work again, let's not raise any alarms because I won't be putting any other tuner anything close to out of business. That's because, as I stated, I just won't be taking on that large an amount of work. The other guys basically won't even know I'm here, exactly as I think was the case before. I would be a small-guy shop doing select work for a small number of people. The only (imagined) threat I might pose is if I get a compliment on my work, and someone perhaps sees that as stealing their thunder. That happened a little in the past, but it's a part of human behavior I can't be responsible for or change. It is what it is. I want to state very-clearly that no one need to worry about me, because those other tuners are already solidly-competent and helping the air gun community in a big way and I know that.

So, anyway, this is more than just a daydream now, or I wouldn't be posting it here. I'm giving it some serious thought. When might it happen? I don't know yet. What would my prices be like? Reasonable and competitive, like before. What air rifles will I work on? Quality metal-spring-piston guns, usually those with well respected brand names. Going down the road of working on 3rd world' products is something I already tried, and I don't want to go there again. May hat is off to those who do that work and they're welcome to all of it. Also, I don't do gas ram work and I don't work on PCP air arms.

I guess that's it. Stay tuned for further announcements if you're interested. Thank you for your time. And, as always...

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Ed Krzynowek, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Aug 13, 2017 8:11 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom Holland
(Login xbowsniper)
YF12

Re: Just Thinking Out Loud--May Start Doing Some Springer Tuning Again

August 12 2017, 2:01 AM 

Ed, I've been shooting Field Target for a few years now, and, I do remember some of your posts from the past. That being said, I'm always looking for a good Springer tuner, I have used a few of the best, always looking for more. I'm a Field Target PCP guy, at 12 ft. Lbs., myself, but I am intrigued with springers.
I'll definitely consider your services in the future, I'll ponder it down the road. Welcome back.

Tom Holland
Assistant Match Director Eastern Suffolk Competitve Airgunners Association
(ESCAA)
Long Island NY

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

This is good news

August 12 2017, 12:33 PM 

Ed, how do you feel about second-world spring guns, specifically Hungarian Relums? I have a couple of "only ever seen one of them" guns that you might find interesting and challenging. Time would not be an issue for me.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Jim, I Think Maybe We've Crossed Paths Before In Years Past

August 12 2017, 4:55 PM 

And I seem to remember some pleasant conversation. I see you still hang around. That's a good thing.

Getting to the point of your post, I didn't even know what a Hungarian Relum was until I looked at You Tube video within the last 24 hours or so. Although I'd love to help you out, it's one of the unknown makes I was alluding to in my post. So, those aren't on my list of immediately planned endeavors. Maybe somewhere down the line, but not now.

I plan to stick mostly to the Beeman/HW and RWS/Diana lines. I can quote most of their internal dimensions from memory, and I know what makes most of them tick (or not tick) including some of the fire points like triggers. That's where I plan to start. Your offer of allowing plenty of time is gracious, but time alone doesn't solve some of the trickier problems that arise when trying to tackle something not made in Germany or the UK. It's double true when you do a new model for the very first time.

And, speaking of the UK, I did tune some of the British Webley models, so I might take those on again, too. Good after-market parts are readily available for them and I know where to buy them. The TX can be a little tricky IME so I'm not sure about that one in the immediate future.

Hopefully we can drag up some common ground and I can help you out--and you can help me out--with one of the other air rifles I mentioned. And, by all means thanks for your reply.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Aug 12, 2017 4:55 PM

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

What a really nice rite up, I dont have that gift LOL /welcome back

August 12 2017, 12:48 PM 

I been turning down work as it comes in off of my you tube channel, often a guy will want a re barrel on there cheap gun or hatsan magnum so I refer them to a good friend of mine.
mean while I still work 5 days a week at my plumbing trade and that only leaves week ends to get back to what ever project I been into for me.

I planned on retiring and going into air gun work which did include the P I A hatsan rifles and of course the nice guns we all come to love in the springer line, then one day the light bulb went on.

I decided when I retire, I will retire from working for people and work for my self as a plumber taking on the easy work I want to handle.

Sure I have a passion for airguns and helping air gunners with there needs and giving some honest advice.
But the truth is, it is a lot of time for a little income on "all levels", So it may as well be on something that is able to make it worth it. That is the plan, I just hope I can make it cause thees 60 yr old bones have seen better days LOL

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Choosing Your 'Battles' is a Wise Thing

August 12 2017, 5:02 PM 

I wish you well in figuring out what works best for you.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Respond to this message   
doug phillips
(Login jdphill)
YF

'Welcome Back Cotter'----err-- ahh-----Ed K.----

August 12 2017, 12:59 PM 

It's good to have some more Springer Guys back on board. I remember a time when Springers were the Main Topic on this forum.
Yeah, hard to believe that some of us Ole' Timers are still around (LOL!).
Ed got me started moving up from 'Gateway' BB guns (pump-up and Co2) to Gamo S1K and then the German 'Hard Stuff'.
He is a valuable asset to the Air Gun Community, and I for one, am glad to see him back in the Saddle.
doug,P.
History IS the Preview of the Future, don't forget Any!
http://www.DamagedWoodStocks.Info
doug,P.

This message has been edited by jdphill on Aug 12, 2017 1:04 PM

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Thanks Doug, You're A True Shill

August 12 2017, 5:08 PM 

I mean friend. I've noticed that your extolled virtues on this forum are many. Keep up the good work.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Respond to this message   

Matt Spigner
(Login MattSpigner)
YC

Ed, As one of those' guilty' ones, who too loudly extolled your.work ... My apologies!

August 12 2017, 1:41 PM 

...It's an annoying habit, that I can't quite seem to shake

Happy to see that you've 'rejoined' the Forum, and thrilled to hear that, for all of the right reasons, you will be performing some more of your magic.

Matt

This message has been edited by MattSpigner on Aug 12, 2017 1:46 PM

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

No Apology Needed--Controlling the Amount of Work I Take On Is My Job

August 12 2017, 4:59 PM 

I said yes too many times before when I should have said no, or at least, "Can you wait for a few more months?". I very much appreciated the complimentary posts I received in years gone by, and I won't discourage them if I get more in the future. Word of mouth (or print) is some of the best advertising there is. I said I wanted to control the flow of work, not discourage it. Thanks!

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Respond to this message   
Lymon
(Login lymonm)
YFOT

Good to hear you are feeling better, I'm sure there would be plenty of work...

August 12 2017, 9:09 PM 

I've got a rifle or two that need some attention. That Diana Mauser K98 underlever is sort of cool looking, too.

So, let us (me) know when you are Open for Business. No, you won't retire off of spring airguns. I think I calculated an airgunsmith's actual hourly revenue one time. It wasn't good.

My txt & email are the same, I'm not at the store very much.

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Thanks, You've Got Mail

August 12 2017, 10:16 PM 

It's great to finally cross paths again.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

Respond to this message   
Quinton Lewis
(Login Domer_Pyle)
YF

Can you email me? If you click my name it should be there. Thanks. Nt

August 14 2017, 8:28 AM 

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

You Should Have Mail (nt)

August 14 2017, 2:02 PM 

nt
Safe and Happy Shooting!

Respond to this message   
Cruisers
(Login Cruisers)
YC

Contact??

August 14 2017, 11:03 PM 

Ed,
Clicked on your name but no email address. How can I reach you?

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

Email Will Work

August 15 2017, 12:20 AM 

It's edward73@sbcglobal.net A lot is still up in the air as of today, but if you have something in particular you want to ask me about my services you can email me.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Aug 15, 2017 11:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister1)
YF12

A Brief Note Regarding DIY Technical Help

August 15 2017, 12:00 PM 

This next statement is not aimed at anyone in particular. It's just something that needs said:

I want to clarify the realities of being an air gun tuner. It's something that used to come up quite a lot for me and probably continues to come up for any and all other air gun tuners out there:

I won't be able to answer questions or give instructions regarding how someone can do their own DIY repairs or tuning projects. There is ample information posted by others on this and other forums to help folks with that. Based on what I used to see here, if I responded to all those requests, I wouldn't be able to complete any of the projects I need to do myself.

On occasion, I may choose to answer a technical question on the forum to help someone, but that will probably be the exception and will be done at my own discretion. Please don't hold that against me. I wish I could help everyone but I just can't.

Thank you.

Safe and Happy Shooting!

This message has been edited by ekmeister1 on Aug 15, 2017 12:04 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.