<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

SWFA 10x42 video review

August 12 2017 at 8:14 PM

Joe Wayne Rhea  (Login JoeWayneRhea)
YF12

https://youtu.be/9RISnWRTtvA
Hope you guys enjoy the video . It is an incredible scope ,and YES springer rated .

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

The SWFA scopes did catch my attention till I saw that they were......

August 12 2017, 10:36 PM 

"rear focused". How in the world would this scope be used for hunter class field target shooting where "scope rangefinding" is a large part of the competition. LOL.....even for still hunting squirrels I would first set up with "bucket and sticks" and get a "scope rangefind" of all tree around at the "40 yard line" and wait till squirrels crossed the 40 yard barrier before aiming. I guess that a separate LRF could be used for the same purpose but then that's just another piece of equipment to mess with in the field. Even when stalking squirrels I would do a scope rangefind to determine the proper holdover if the squirrel "stayed put" long enough.

Anywhoo......the "rear focus ring" is a negative issue for my airgun shooting where the pellet can drop an inch between my 30 yard zero and 45 yards as this target shows.......
[img][linked image][/img]

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login cahil_2)
YF12

You can also

August 12 2017, 11:19 PM 

Get the same scope in side focus. I have both and like the rear focus the best, but I don't do field target.

Respond to this message   

Joe Wayne Rhea
(Login JoeWayneRhea)
YF12

+1 with Mark

August 12 2017, 11:23 PM 

I've had both and like the rear focus better . Field Target and Benchrest have their own special needs for optics. But for the hunter and casual shooter these scopes are REALLY hard to beat

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Actually Brother nced, I kinda prefer my SWFA scopes “rear mounted” parallax

August 12 2017, 11:21 PM 

adjustment over my side focus scopes, or objective focus scopes.

FWIW, my SWFA SS scopes (3 or 4 10x scopes, a 12x scope, 3 or 4 16x scopes, & a 20x scope) have a rear focus ring for the eyepiece, but also have a separate parallax adjustment ring on the eyepiece, marked in distances like other scopes parallax adjustment set ups.

I find the rear mounted parallax ring easier to reach from a shooting position.

I believe they also offer a side parallax adjustment scope, but it adds about $100 to the price

Diamondback

Truth is Stranger than Fiction..... wink.gif

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Aug 13, 2017 12:23 PM

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Problem with the rear focus for my airgunning is the small diameter.......

August 13 2017, 8:27 AM 

of the focus ring which would put any marks too close together, if possible at all with this setup......
Notice how close together the etched marks between 30 yards and 50 yards are on the ring. Pretty impossible to fit 31-45 yard marks between!

My initial interest in the SWFA was that they offered a fixed 12x mag scope in my price range but the "small diameter rear focus ring" is a "no-go", even for squirrel sniping if I needed to "rangefind" for a 35ish yard shot.
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-12x42-tactical-riflescope-1.html
Another issue for me would be this thin busy reticle........
Yesterday was a perfect example of a reticlunlighted reticle........
e getting LOST on a dark target on a dark field target lane where I literally couldn't see the thin unlit crosshairs and mil dots of the Hawke AirMax (same for a squirrel head in the shadows) and had difficulty trying to hold "one mil dot high" when the small mildots were lost! Here is a pic of my Hawke AMX reticle...

Seems that the side focus model (an extra $100) doesn't come in a fixed 12x version but the side focus 10x version uses the same unlit busy reticle as the rear focus model.
Anywhoo, even though the scope is advertized to parallay down to 10 yards there really seems to be a mismatch for my airgunning unless used under perfect shooting conditions at distances between the near zero and far zero (about 18 yards to 30 yards in my case).

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Ah, I see,

August 13 2017, 11:42 AM 

The small ring is hard to read from a shooting position, with the marks close together. I bet someone will end up making a larger slip on collar or partial collar with pointer that gives more room for more precise marks, that face rearward.

I agree the fixed 12x sounds nice. Mine is a mil dot & as yet unmounted.

I too like illuminated reticles on my scopes. I’m considering trying some of the reticle illuminators from GotReticle on my scopeshttp://www.gotreticle.com/product.shtml

Diamondback

Truth is Stranger than Fiction..... wink.gif

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Aug 13, 2017 12:24 PM

Respond to this message   
LD
(Login lhd)
AR&P

I used a larger collar on mine

August 13 2017, 2:12 PM 

To allow easy viewing without tipping gun up. Around 3/8" larger than existig collar, clamped on. Numbers facing rear instead of parralel to scope axis.

I own two of those SWFA scopes, one 20X, one 10X. I made the first collar (20X) around 15yrs ago, before we were regularly shooting Hunter class in our club.

Respond to this message   
JackC
(Login JKC_NoCal)
YF12

Enlarged Collar

August 13 2017, 6:20 PM 

LD,

Did that enlarged collar work pretty well for your ranging needs? I have often thought that the fixed SWFA 12X with some sort of collar device attached to the rear focus ring might just be the cat's meow for us "frustrated-by-12X-ranging" Hunter Class shooters.

Respond to this message   
LD
(Login lhd)
AR&P

Jack

August 14 2017, 3:53 PM 

The collor worked well. The height and circumference was enough for yardage numbers I could read without tippig the gun upward. I don't expect ANY 10-12X scope to give extreme ranging accuracy, so I typically mark every yard out to 15, 2 yards to 25, and five yard increments after 30 is ok. Of course this setup is best with around 900fps, right?

Respond to this message   
JackC
(Login JKC_NoCal)
YF12

Thanks LD

August 15 2017, 9:36 AM 

"I don't expect ANY 10-12X scope to give extreme ranging accuracy..."

That would be the understatement of the day. wink.gif

I'm hoping for a change in the rules so we Hunter Class folks can have even more fun!

Respond to this message   
LD
(Login lhd)
AR&P

Ed, I can only assume don't have much experience with that model

August 13 2017, 2:06 PM 

I've owned mine for quite some time, and it ranges ok for Hunter style shooting. I shot against a field of 14 other Hunter Class shooters at the National Championships in 2012 and placed 4th, but due to some stoopid scoring SNAFU's, any of us top five could/might have placed higher since most had a number of points "deducted" to "level the playing field" for WFTF whiners. I had seven or more points deducted retroactively, others had more or less similar experiences (most hits we had deducted retro-actively were longer shots we dripped that sub-12fpe guys "claimed" they feel the hit, and if I couldnt range the long ones, I too woulda missed em, right)?

But, my 10X SWFA scope ranged well enough. I now use a scope with a reticle having more aimpoints, and since its a more powerful variable, I can use 12X instead of the 10X of that SWFA, but as to the ranging part, I prolly would prefer the rear focus IF it were offred on my existing scope.

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

"don't have much experience with that model", correct, matter of fact.......

August 13 2017, 3:15 PM 

I have NO 1st hand knowledge about a SWFA. My comments are solely due to my web search and pics of the reticle & focus ring.

"points "deducted" to "level the playing field" and "deducted retro-actively were longer shots we dripped that sub-12fpe guys"
LOL....at the National match I attended in Heflin, AL the match high score was shot by a WFTF shooter and his under 12fpe "Nerf Gun"! He actually hit 110 out of 120 targets over the two day match and the 1st day had gusty winds!

Anywhoo.....that match alone convinced me that the WFTF shooters aren't at much of a disadvantage with a good shooter on the trigger!

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

LD...that scoring literally dropped my jaw when I read it! nt

August 13 2017, 7:58 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Lon
(Login bigbore)
YF

I just bought one of these...

August 13 2017, 12:16 AM 

not for an air gun though.

I enjoyed the review video.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Sidd
(Login dnullify)
YF

Got one of these a couple weeks ago for my Streamline

August 13 2017, 2:50 AM 

Absolutely love it so far. I watched all the powder burner reviews on this scope and figured if it's good for ELR shooting to 1200m with a 6.5, it'll do the job for my air rifle!

I did a mil-mil box drill with it dialing to 4 courners mutliple times randomly. always went back to zero. Now i gotta track down some shims to zero it out.

Respond to this message   
Dean
(Login dbowling)
YF12

SWFA

August 13 2017, 10:47 AM 

these scopes were designed for killing stuff other then field targets, recreation was not a consideration when designing these..Ive got the 10x42 mil dot and its great for squirrel hunting or shooting pests.. no problem adjusting it while looking at a squirrel, I hunt by stalking thru the woods from hickory tree to hickory tree.
nice bright clear scopes. About the only thing Im not real wild about on them is the clicks are non existent or very very faint.

This message has been edited by dbowling on Aug 13, 2017 10:48 AM

Respond to this message   

TMurray
(Login bustachip)
YF12

Clicks are the same way on my bigsky scopes...

August 13 2017, 11:23 AM 

you have to feel close when clicking, or you'll miss it.

TM

Respond to this message   
Tommy
(Login shambozzie)
YF12

+1 on swfa. Being a lefty love the side focus. Right above the trigger........

August 13 2017, 11:08 AM 

Got one on Fwb124d and one on aa s2oo.177. Best bang for buck in moderate price scopes. You aced it again Joe.nice vid.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.