<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Holding a springer

September 6 2017 at 8:03 AM
Cal  (Login calstan49)
YF

Just another image showing the difference in group sizes due to different hold techniques.

HW77K at 30 yards with CPL pellets (boxed)

Left image -
Stock balanced in the 'V' of a Caldwell bag. Crosshairs centered with rifle at rest. Minimal force on the trigger. Rifle free to move as it fired.

Right image -
Balance point of stock resting in open palm. All else the same.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calstanley/36891938562/in/dateposted-public/

Cal in Maine

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jason
(Login nervoustrigger)
YF12

Very nice demonstration!

September 6 2017, 10:24 AM 

Is the V of the Caldwell bag somewhat grippy? More so than your open palm? Reason I'm asking is my best springer shooting was either with the balance point of the stock resting on my wrist or on a paint roller rest like this:

[linked image]

Groups seemed to degrade if the rest was something that the stock grips onto.

I have to say the challenge of shooting a springer accurately is enjoyable in a conquest sort of way. Everything has to be just right to get those ragged hole groups at 25 - 30 yards. That's why I use springers for practicing shooting form and reach for a PCP when I need to make a confident, humane shot on a pest. No warm ups and no retries.

This message has been edited by nervoustrigger on Sep 6, 2017 10:24 AM

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

My airgun shooting is based on "squirrel sniping" and unless........

September 7 2017, 10:02 AM 

a support can be carried through the woods on a hunt or on the field target lanes it's not very useful for testing purposes. What good does it do to shoot tight groups "from a block of concrete" (or whatever) yet still inaccurate for "normal" shooting? Since I don't want to be bothered with the hassles or expense of buyin'/pumpin' air, countin' shots, a "life support system" on a cart (or in the garage) required by the "pump up guns" my preferred option is a self contained springer. There is a need for a well tuned springer and lot of practice to shoot my HW "bouncin' springers" accurately.

Anywhoo.....decades ago my brother tested the accuracy of his .177 R9 using a shot bags and found he was shooting patterns at 30 yards instead of groups. Then he supported the gun on his shoulder and placed an open palm between the stock forearm and shot bag and shot really tight groups. Here are a couple 3 shot 50 yard groups he shot from the bench (both at the same sitting) with gun rested on shoulder and lightly placed on his left palm which was supported by the shot bag......
QDfRViZl.jpg

I do almost all my shooting from "bucket and sticks" because that's how I set up my gun/scope, "still hunt" squirrels, shoot hunter class field target matches and general plinking. In the woods if stalkin' instead of restin' I make sure that the gun is supported on the shoulder and stock forearm in the exact same position as when the gun was set up with "bucket and sticks". When stalking squirrels (a lot of fun by the way) I try to keep all shots within my 30 yard zero distance and only stretch the distance to about 40 yards under perfect field conditions. Anywhoo......using "bucket and sticks" I occasionally shoot some pretty good "dumb luck" groups on my outdoor practice lane......

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

My choice is simply to use a gun supporting method that can also be used in the woods so a lot of practice is done to hone a consistent shooting form and shooting some 50 or 100 bull targets at one sitting is good practice.
Concerning the "first shot being on", I do admit that I always take a couple shots before starting a squirrel hunt to settle things in, however I recently shot this target from "bucket and sticks" two days apart without any warmup shots the second day and here is the result.........
0ilNbKxl.jpg
Certainly "minute of squirrel head" accuracy out to 30 yards or so since I was shooting 1/4" diameter bulls.

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Bag aid.................

September 6 2017, 11:30 AM 

Here's something that can help bagged groups: teflon stock tape. I've used it a FWB124 and it really lets the gun move freely. BTW, that is a DRAMATIC difference in group size.http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/all-categories-industry-specific/egories-application-specific-benchrest-stock-tapes?
""

This message has been edited by garczar on Sep 6, 2017 11:36 AM

Respond to this message   
JW652
(Login JW652)
YC

Springer Hold

September 6 2017, 12:03 PM 

Thanks for the demonstration. Over the years, we have found this technique to tighten groups most of the time.

Of course, there are exceptions and many diehard springheads have found sandbagged forend positions with individual rifles that produce small groups. For example, with an old THeoben Gran Prix that I have owned since 1988 and know well, ragged one hole groups are possible at 50 yds by jamming the front of the trigger guard into a sand filled bag. However, the POI changes whenever I use that rifle with another hold in FT or the field. This change of POI is true for every springer that we have ever zeroed from the bench.
So, IMO, even if you have a good bench group, you are better off sighting in your springer from the palm so that it will be on target during normal shooting.

Respond to this message   
Cal
(Login calstan49)
YF

Re: Holding a springer

September 6 2017, 12:24 PM 

The 'V' of the Caldwell bag is a heavy fabric - it does have some drag against the stock. The benchrest stock tape looks like it would work but I'm not crazy about adding tape to each of my springers. The roller rest looks like it might be the thing to try next. I'll build one this weekend.

I was so impressed by the difference in these two groups I just had to share what I saw. Now I have to see if my other springers (TX200, TX200HC, RWS 52) show the same kind of results.

Respond to this message   
Jason
(Login nervoustrigger)
YF12

Paint roller rest

September 6 2017, 11:31 PM 

Cal, let us know how it works for you. A lot of folks on GTA reported good results but some springers have a different personality it seems.

Here's a few cherry picked groups from a lowly Beeman RS2 from Walmart:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

Gel cushion

September 6 2017, 12:44 PM 

One of the airgun suppliers used to sell a little Gel cushion wrapped in nylon with a rivet at one corner so you could put a cord on it.

A gel cushion mimics the hand but does not move with your heart beat.

A gel shoe insert or something similar may work.

David Enoch

Respond to this message   
David Geesaman
(Login dgeesaman)
YF

computer "wrist" rest

September 6 2017, 12:55 PM 

sounds like the thing they were selling.

Respond to this message   

Noah_1325
(Login Noah_1325)
YF12

Re: Holding a springer

September 8 2017, 12:08 AM 

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing and I will keep this in the file for later use.

Respond to this message   
Larry Gardner
(Login gard72977)
YF12

What FPE is your HW77

September 8 2017, 8:09 PM 

I shoot sub 12FPE TX200. I wonder how much difference it would make for me?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.