<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What are your opinions on

September 8 2017 at 7:22 PM
Josh3rd  (Login josh3rd)
YF12

adjustable mounts such as FX No Limits, Hawke Adjustable, Sun Optics and/or Sports Match on springers above 12ft/lbs and below 20ft/lbs? I just wonder if they are worth while due to springers recoil? Also they could serve dual purposes such as if your rifle has droop and to keep your scope at its optical center without clicking or bending the barrel. I for one would think that they wouldn't stay still for long.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

I'm partial to Burris Signature rings.

September 8 2017, 7:53 PM 

They come with plastic spherical inserts so you can adjust them +- 40 moa.

Respond to this message   

Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)
BOI

Ditto for the Burris Sigs. Plus, with practice you can pretty much zero

September 8 2017, 7:57 PM 

a scope without making more than a few clicks on the turrets. And, once zeroed in they do NOT change.

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

How do they work? Nt

September 8 2017, 8:56 PM 

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

A search engine and YouTube is your friend..........

September 8 2017, 9:15 PM 

Respond to this message   
Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

Here's how.

September 8 2017, 9:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Got it thank you nt

September 9 2017, 8:15 AM 

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

So there is 40moa, no more, no less? Nt

September 8 2017, 8:55 PM 

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

Many more choices than that.

September 9 2017, 11:51 PM 

They have insert sets that come in +/- 0, 5, 10 and 20 MOA. By using them in various combinations you have the choice of +/- 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 40 MOA. The only combination not possible is +/- 35 MOA. You can also put the inserts in 90 degrees off to compensate left and right. You will lose some of the previously steps but I have never been left wanting choices with these rings.

Respond to this message   
BSJ
(Login BSJI)
AR&P

Thousandths not MOA

September 11 2017, 2:56 PM 

The number on the insert correspond to the thickness of the insert in thousandths of an inch, not the amount of adjustment in MOA.

Different ring spacing will give you different amounts of adjustment of the POI.
Brian S. Johnson

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: What are your opinions on

September 8 2017, 7:58 PM 

Only adj. mount i've used is the BSquare(now SunOptic)one-piece adj. mount. Used it on a BSA Supersport to help deal with droop. Kinda funky to adjust but it worked perfectly.
""

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Funky how? PITA? NT

September 8 2017, 8:57 PM 

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Bsquare/SunOptic.........................

September 8 2017, 11:45 PM 

On the SunOptic(old Bsquare) mount you can change ring height and with opposing grub-screws the windage. It works but is just kinda time consuming. They let you save a lot of elev/wind. in the scope since your major adj. is via the mount.
""

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

Years ago I played with a couple adjustable mounts.........

September 8 2017, 9:11 PM 

a B-Square and a RWS C-Mount finding that mounting the scope, shooting a few groups, then un-mounting the scope to make adjustments so I could check the zero which took a good amount of time only to have them "shake loose" after a while. Those episodes a couple decades ago soured me on the antics od adjustable mounts so I started bending my barrels. LOL...bending a barrel is a quicker and easier process for me that doesn't require mounting/un-mounting/re-mounting yada yada yada and the bent barrel is a long term fix, well, until I change a scope or mount anywhoo.

LOL....here is a damaged "screw on" Beeman scope rail that was damaged by an adjustable RWS C-Mount when trying to tighten it enough to stay put. The "milled scrape out the back" was caused by a Beeman non-adjustable one piece mount (rebadged Sports Match) that had insufficient stop pin exposure from the box.

I do believe that advancements have been made to the adjustable mounts since I tried them years ago and I've read that some can be adjusted without un-mounting/re-mounting the scope and there are quite a few positive posts, however I prefer the simplicity and permanence of simply bending the barrel.

This message has been edited by SpringerEd on Sep 8, 2017 9:16 PM

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

If i ever wanted to

September 9 2017, 8:17 AM 

I don't think I could bend a prosport or a RWS 54 barrel due to the sleeves. But good food for thought.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

Sun Optics solved an issue for me

September 8 2017, 9:51 PM 

Took a bit of fiddling but bending the barrel on an FX-400 would have been more grief for me than a half hour or so of trial and error with these mounts. The Sun Optics mount was a relatively cheap and simple solution.

My rifle had droop and I wanted to keep optical center. Problem solved.

Prior review with some comic relief (Matt Dawson, where are you now?) here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1406680751

Respond to this message   
ScottMn
(Login ScottMn)
YC

5039's, ATP-61/65, and Burris.....

September 9 2017, 8:41 AM 

I've had one 5039 for years and they have held up well. Other have mentioned that they haven't had such good luck. The ATP's work well but are expensive. I like the Burris for their simplicity...read lack of adjustment screws. None of these has failed though.

Shooting a centered scope on a springer, in my exerience, does seem to help the longevity of the scope. None of my scopes are what I would concider cheapies though and quality of build probably comes into play. For "clicking" to zero keeping the scope more in the center of its' adjustment can only help prolong the life of the scope especially if zeroing at longer ranges where more elevation is needed.

Respond to this message   

BeachBumPete
(Login Matospeter)
YF12

Personally I just....

September 9 2017, 2:59 PM 

Personally I just machine myself a nice new custom droop compensated scope riser rail wink.gif Hehehe

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC machining and prototyping
Port St. Lucie, Florida
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Im jealous nt

September 9 2017, 10:21 PM 

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Or just lap the mounts to center up the scope

September 9 2017, 8:25 PM 

Here's a quick description of how to do that.

Lapping scope rings to optically center (or droop) you scope

Start by buying a small can of fine “Clover” valve lapping compound, and a three foot length of 1” aluminum tube (for lapping to a 1”scope tube. If you have a 30mm tube, good luck finding 30mm tubing...30mm scopes are pointless IMO)

Cut the tube into two lengths, one about 12” , and fit a short handle to that one...a small knob or a short bolt is fine.

Check the clamp surfaces of your rings, fix any flaws, and mount them where you'll want them with the scope in place. A tiny smear(what will fit on the end of a toothpick) of the lapping compound where each claw meets the rail will stop mount slippage under recoil. Lay the longer length of tube in the saddles with most of it ahead of the rings, and eyeball it's alignment with the barrel. You will virtually always see both off center and off axis misalignment. If it's really bad, you may want to swap mount positions or dress the fixed claws to reduce it.

Now smear about a peas size dab of the compound on the lower half of your short tube. Seat it in the saddles, and, tracing a figure eight with the handle, start lapping the rings. The figure 8 is important, you want the rube rotating both ways as you stroke the tube lengthwise in the saddles. A finger's pressure on top of the tube at the front will lap in droop, on the side to move the tube towards alignment with the barrel. After about twenty strokes, set the lap tube aside, wipe the saddles clean, and check alignment. Repeat until you get the guide tube to appear perfectly parallel to the barrel, or drooped ( about .010 gap difference Over 12” of distance, tube to a straight(not tapered) barrel is a good place to start) When the saddles are clean, occasionally check that with the scope in place and the upper rings on top, there's still a clamping gap. If you run out of gap before the tube aligns, you can either file the faces of the upper rings, or line them.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.