<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RWS 54 and Vortex Diamondback 4 x 12 x 40 AO

September 8 2017 at 9:18 PM
Karl  (Login KarlH60)
YF12

I've had this gun and scope for a couple of years, and now that the Tropical Storm Harvey rain fall (49-9/16 inches) has drained away, I took the gun out and shot it.

I think I may have killed the scope as I am having unexplained POI shifts. Sled is adjusted okay, stock screws torqued at 20 in-lbs, RWS Drooper mount at 25 in-lbs on rings and on rail.

This thing used to be a hammer with Crosman domed 14.3 grain and JSB 15.89 grain. I have the turrets zeroed where the previous 25 yard sight-in was. I'll get unexplained POI shifts and can shoot 4 or 5 in a dime at 25 yards and then back to the original zero for another 5 or 6. If I re-zero the scope, I end up going back to the original zero at exactly where the original turrets were set at "O".

No wind and at 25 yards. Held exactly as I have held for the last 2 years.

Before I remove the scope tomorrow and try another, anyone have a suggestion of what else I can check.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

db
(Login Diamondback)
YC

Perhaps similar to my 52's?

September 9 2017, 2:47 AM 

Check for loose screws on airgun & scope mount.

If it’s like the 52 / 48, the outer barrel sleeve may have come loose, or maybe the muzzle weight / front sight ramp has come loose, which then vibrate & can cause POI shifts.

I’ve had similar problems from a broken mainspring, too, especially after shooting very heavy pellets. Is the cocking arm very easy to open for the first few inches, then gets firm like it should? When my 52's did that they had broken mainsprings.

I remember being in a friendly shoot off for cold beverages with my 52 topped with a Simmons Pro Air scope. My accuracy turned sour, & my reticle looked like an X instead of a cross...I’d shaken the internals loose (got it fixed & now use it on a pcp & it’s actually a pretty good scope). I never liked Bud Light, but liked it even less from then on (tastes / smells like CO2).

One other thing, I remember my cocking arm becoming loose & affecting accuracy. Mine loosened where the link enters the silver sliding cocking piece. Every now & then I had to cock the rig half way & snug up the hex screw that anchors everything in the rim of the silver cocking piece, facing the muzzle.

Man, I used to shoot the heck out of my 52’s (a 177 & two 22’s).

If you beat me in a beer shoot-off, at least make me buy GOOD beer..happy.gif

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

Point it barrel up and then barrel down and see...

September 9 2017, 10:07 PM 

Point it barrel up and then barrel down and see if you can hear the lens sliding back and forth in the tube? If you can you definitely have a bad scope.

Also make sure your scope is fairly well centered. If your turrets are near the end of travel they may not hold the optics very securely.

I recommend an old Bushnell Trophy 4x12 for the 54.

David Enoch

Respond to this message   
Karl
(Login KarlH60)
YF12

Scope is suspect

September 10 2017, 7:24 AM 

Diamondback and David,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The sled detent was adjusted a little more loosely than I think it should have been, so I tightened it a bit. Barrel was clean. Checked everything else for tightness, put the action back in the stock, and started shooting again. Action screws torqued at 10 in-lbs. Scope mount rail at 25 in-lbs, ring halves at 20 in-lbs.

Had the same POI issue with the Vortex scope, so mounted a Nikko Stirling Target Master and seems to have resolved the problem.

The Vortex Diamondback lasted about 700 pellets. I'm going to put it on an FWB 150 and give it a try before I send it back for repair.

Respond to this message   

nced
(Login SpringerEd)
YF12

I had a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback "shoot loose internally" mounted on my.......

September 12 2017, 1:47 PM 

13 fpe .177 R9 after a while. The good news is that Vortex has the best customer service I've experienced. When I called Vortex for a RMA number I was emailed a prepaid shipping voucher with instructions on packing for return. I followed the instructions and called the carrier, the next day the carrier picked up the scope at my home and about a week later I had a brand new scope at my doorstep. The whole transaction didn't cost me a cent!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.