<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Bore lapping & polishing

September 9 2017 at 8:31 AM
Josh3rd  (Login josh3rd)
YF12

Is it just me and I can't leave well enough alone or is it the air gunner in us that we always have two tinker with something to see if it makes our gun better or more accurate or just to see what the outcome is? Who knows. My whole point is saying all this is about lapping and polishing a barrel. How is it known if you do need it or not? Or lets say if you don't need it will your Barrel still benefit from it? Like as most of you may have already know I have a air arms prosport and an RWS 54. Now John Thomas already lapped and polish my 54 and she shoots amazing. My prosport is untuned and she is what is supposedly one of the best airguns off the assembly line. She shoots amazingly at whatever distances which really equates to 55 yards. But I'm always striving for that little bit tighter group as we all have and or doing. So my question to you guys are do you think it will benefit from a lap and polish? Or should I just leave well enough alone? Another question. What makes it the deciding factor to lap and polish apparel and how would you guys do it on a fixed Barrel rifle. Now I'm not going to do it on my Pro Sport but just in case if I get bored one day, LOL.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: Bore lapping & polishing

September 9 2017, 8:36 AM 

Be careful here. Airgun barrels use relatively soft steel compared to firearms. VERY easy to go to far in your quest for perfection and actually ruin a barrel. If its shooting good i'd leave it alone.
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

I am thinking the same thing nt

September 9 2017, 10:13 PM 

Respond to this message   
Alex in Upstate NY
(Login awilde)
YF12

It did wonders for my airmax 2 pistol

September 9 2017, 8:38 AM 

along with re-crowning the muzzle. The factory rifling job on the barrel had been really rough even after going through and thoroughly cleaning mine. The crown looked like they just stuck a counter sink in the end (and off-centered at that) so shored the end up and did a proper 11 degree and that improved it more taking out flier shots I kept getting, then lapped the whole thing which took it to a nice polished and shiny inside that pulled the groups in a good bit more (even with crappier ammo that it didn't like as much before). If your barrel was fairly good to start with then it may not benefit from the lapping at all, and could in fact become worse, however if you had a cruddy pitted funky barrel to start with it can certainly improve it and turn it into something quite usable.

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Re: It did wonders for my airmax 2 pistol

September 9 2017, 9:06 AM 

Good point(s). The Airmax's chinese barrel can vary greatly and then add to that sitting in a shipping container for who knows long(or dry) on its way here. I'm not on a chinese barrel witch-hunt but the quality of chin. barrels can be all over the map compared to BSA's(UK guns), HW,LW, etc. I guess i've just been really lucky because i've never had a problem with an airgun barrel. Had mechanical issues but so far good luck with the tubes.
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Thanks for the advice brother nt

September 9 2017, 10:14 PM 

Respond to this message   
MikefromMidland
(Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

As far as Your Pro Sport...

September 9 2017, 10:06 AM 

Air Arms uses LW barrels so the odds are that the barrel is pretty darn good,as is. Perhaps give it a good cleaning with either Goo Gone or Ballistol (my choice). Then let it settle in with it's preferred ammo (mine likes JSB 8.44s) relax,and do some shooting. 9 times out of 10,bad groups are MY fault. Not to impune Your skill level, but practice is a Huge part of the discipline that often takes a backseat when we (myself included!) are prone to have itchy "tinkerin fingers". Just my thoughts...hope it's helpful!

This message has been edited by MScottLeeman on Sep 9, 2017 10:07 AM

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

+1 on the tinkering fingers mike nt

September 9 2017, 10:15 PM 

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Are you willing to fully disassemble the gun to lap it? Crown damage is too likely ...

September 9 2017, 12:17 PM 

otherwise, unless you want to try firelapping.

Lapping (done correctly by a skilled operator, with a cast in bore lead lap on a ball bearing swivel handle, from the breach) will always improve a bore. The degree of improvement is what varies, and there is some risk of creating an oversize bore if what the factory sent you is near the upper end of the caliber specs.

LW bores are button rifled, and will benefit from a skilled lap job, even if only to extend the number of shots between leading up.

Hammer forged barrels( older BSA only, so far as I know) won't benefit much...they are already nearly ideal(taper bore with a smooth internal finish) and tend to be a bit oversize to start with.

Do a few cheapies before you lap an expensive gun.

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Scot i read some of your stuff

September 9 2017, 10:18 PM 

in the other forums library and honestly I think that I don't got it in me. Oh yeah, pretty good write up. And as for fire lapping, wouldn't it be hard to do on a prosport due to the shroud?

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Scot i read some of your stuff

September 9 2017, 10:19 PM 

in the other forums library and honestly I think that I don't got it in me. Oh yeah, pretty good write up. And as for fire lapping, wouldn't it be hard to do on a prosport due to the shroud?

Respond to this message   
JW652
(Login JW652)
YC

Lapping - Kind of

September 9 2017, 6:02 PM 

JB bore compound has always worked well for me. It cleans down to the grooves the bore nicely and does no damage. Just work from the breech end and don't be overly aggressive.

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Just wondering if prosports shroud would be an issue. Nt

September 9 2017, 10:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Frank's suggestion of the lead remover patches is a good option

September 10 2017, 12:43 PM 

I cut them in half and file down a jag for a snug fit. On the swivel handle you can work the bore pretty hard without removing enough metal to hurt anything. Again, work from the breach to avoid crown damage, shove a plastic straw into the shroud to avoid losing one in there.

Fire lapping using ringed pellets and the liquid equivalent (the milky bore cleaners, Remington "lead remover" is one) is by far the best of the"simple/easy/safe" methods. The liquid polish removed very little metal, and it's mostly worn out by the time the pellet gets to the muzzle, so your risk of an oversize bore there is virtually nil.

The advantage of the rod techniques is feedback, you can tell what's going on. With fire lapping it's a matter of shooting a dozen polish loaded pellets, cleaning, shooting enough to lead the bore, and testing, repeat...very time consuming.

Respond to this message   

Wyo
(Login WyoMan)
YF12

Re: Bore lapping &amp; polishing

September 9 2017, 10:33 PM 

I can't leave things well enough alone myself, LOL. But when it comes to the bore of an amazingly shooting barrel... I'd leave it alone. Just shoot it happy.gif

With enough lead down the pipe, the microscopic irregularities from the machining process will get polished. It's safe for the barrel and fun for the shooter. You'll need to do some periodic cleaning (another subject) but after a tin or so it just gets better and doesn't foul as often. I'm talking about a new barrel here and assuming that's the subject matter. -

Wyo 

Respond to this message   

Mike Ellingsworth
(Login 4888blues)
YF12

X2 and its also a plus Josh if you wash the pellets and carefully lube them, it will

September 9 2017, 10:57 PM 

keep you from fouling the barrel longer and you wont need to clean the bore as often.

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Will give it a try Mike nt

September 10 2017, 9:07 PM 

Respond to this message   
Quinton Lewis
(Login Domer_Pyle)
YF

Lubing with wax has been good for that so far here

September 11 2017, 12:18 PM 

If you have any sports stores near you, or depending on the size of W-Mart you can get to, look for bicycle chain lube. White Lightning Clean Ride is one or Finish Line something or other. Shake it up but be careful because it comes out way faster than you'd think. You only need to put 2 big drops in an empty 500ct tin of pellets and add about half the pellets back in and roll it around in your hands for at least a few minutes.

It smells like those huge permanent markers before it dries but won't diesel once dried and will keep your bore shiny, plus it's good to use in trigger assemblies because it repels dust and dirt unlike greases/oils. I can't stop tinkering either and that's one thing I've tried that made an impression

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Good info nt

September 11 2017, 6:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

Thank you. Nt

September 10 2017, 9:06 PM 

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.