<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Tips for BSA Airsporter end plug?

September 9 2017 at 9:17 AM
Jim in PGH  (Login 144man)
YF12

I can't get it to budge, and I'm deathly afraid of snapping the alloy casting. It's soaking in PB Blaster right now.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JW652
(Login JW652)
YC

BSA

September 9 2017, 1:50 PM 

If it is the same as most models, it is held in place by a cross bolt. You must use a spring compressor to squeeze the cap inward a tad before knocking out the pin. Make sure the compressor is holding everything back or parts will fly at extreme velocity.

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

Not the same

September 9 2017, 4:19 PM 

I know what you're talking about. I have a BSA Meteor that works as you describe. The Mercury and Airsporter have a threaded alloy casting that comprises the end plug and trigger block. It's a beautiful thing, but somewhat vexing when trying to use a spring compressor.

Turns out I was able to break it free using a 36" x 1/2" steel bar inserted in the 1/2" hole in the casting. These guns are quite the challenge.

Respond to this message   
RBest
(Login RBest)
AR&P

putting it back together is even more fun.

September 10 2017, 11:43 AM 

What I wound up doing for these is making a wooden 2 piece clamshell block, with the insides carved out to fit the trigger assy/endblock. When bolted together, you have a nice squared up piece to work with.

Respond to this message   
Steve D
(Login sd5782)
YC

Funny you should mention it

September 9 2017, 9:03 PM 

Hello Jim. I think I sold you a Haenel 300 in Findlay a couple of years ago. I have a Mercury S that I was just shooting this evening. I half destroyed the receiver and piston on mine by shooting it while it was internally grinding itself.

It was a royal pain to get apart until I finally got a bit violent with it. It was 5-10 years ago maybe. I tried with the rod in the trigger block if I remember, but no luck. I let it set for days trying to figure out a new approach. I believe in the end, I clamped the trigger block in a big vice, with wood to keep from marring. I think then I got a large box point wrench that was a good fit in the breech jaws such as one would do to unscrew an HW end block. Then some VERY sharp blows on the wrench with a big hammer.

Remember, at this point, I was going to get the damn thing off one way or another so this is a caution. It worked for me, and came off. Nothing broke and my trigger block has no marks.

Now that is only half the fun. You will never get it back together with a stout spring. I tried to make a jig to hold the trigger block while screwing it in, but that worked poorly. I did get a factory spring cut a couple coils in. Final tune used a JM .120" 4600 spring for milder shooting. It is a short stroke gun anyhow, and is plenty harsh with much spring.

All in all an unpleasant experience. The guns are indeed beautiful but….. I will say, that I am not a fan of British guns. Hope to not step on toes, but I have in my limited experience found poor workmanship and difficulty of servicing. GOOD LUCK!!

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

Very funny indeed!

September 9 2017, 9:30 PM 

I think the aforementioned Haenel 303 was part of the trade in which I acquired the Airsporter at Findlay this spring. I was ultimately able to get it apart, with the help of a 1/2" x 36" steel rod I got at Home Depot. A new piston head, oring, and buffer, and a Maccari .120 wire 32 coil spring, and all is well. I took the time to pre-set the spring to coil bind on a piece of all-thread, otherwise I never would have gotten it back together. A lot of work for 620 fps, but overall worth it. The Airsporter is a stunningly beautiful concealed underlever taploader. Certainly not user friendly as far as servicing, but a very unique rifle.

I did make sure to coat the threads of the end plug with anti-seize before reassembly, in case I ever have to go in again.

Respond to this message   
Bsagunner
(Login bsagunner)
YF

I have the same problem

September 9 2017, 10:30 PM 

Hi Jim,
I have a beautiful Airsporter RB2 soaking in penetrating oil for some months now. I would really like some advice on getting off that end plug. Is there some way to releave the spring pressure before turning that end plug? I am afraid to apply heavy turning pressure for fear of snapping something.
Thanks

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

1/2" steel rod worked for me

September 10 2017, 8:22 AM 

I put the receiver in a vice, wrapped in heavy leather. The 1/2" round bar is a perfect fit in the hole in the trigger block.

I figured it this way: The gun wasn't any use as it was, so I really didn't have anything to lose, so I just reefed on it. It's not so much spring pressure you are fighting, but corrosion caused by years of dissimilar metals being in direct contact.

Respond to this message   
RBest
(Login RBest)
AR&P

no way of relieving that pressure

September 10 2017, 11:49 AM 

its the nature of the beast. These are not user friendly guns to service, and some 'smiths won't even deal with them. One needs to be creative and not in a rush. See my solution in this thread.

Respond to this message   
Steve D
(Login sd5782)
YC

Tuning

September 10 2017, 9:04 AM 

Jim, it sounds as though you used the same JM spring as I did. I like that spring in other guns also. The Mercury without the lost volume of the tap does 650 with Superdomes. Not much power, and certainly not like others I have read about. I also had a Vulcan that made little power also, even when worked over. I have a hard time believing all the 12fpe stories on these guns.

Also with the short stroke, 10+ must be quite harsh. I didn't even like the light shooting shot cycle with the O ring piston head. I took mine off and crudely made an adapter to hold a Diana type seal. Now the Mercury is still not powerful, but at least the shot cycle doesn't finish with a faint metallic "tink" sound from the piston head.

I did see that Airsporter on the table at the Findlay show, but after my experience I just let it find another good home. I picked up a NIB old stock walnut Diana 38 at that show that I have posted about on here or the Diana forum, so I didn't come home empty handed.

Respond to this message   
RBest
(Login RBest)
AR&P

some of these brit springers ( sub 12 fpe)

September 10 2017, 11:54 AM 

need their transfer ports opened up, especially if the port was under 3mm diameter and the gun was oversprung with .128" diameter wire. JM's old Paladin spring was a bit less stiff, yet yielded performance gains in these guns.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.