<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Athlon Talos 3-12x40 scope?

October 9 2017 at 12:16 AM
Doug T  (Login Doug-T)
YF

I'm picking up a used .22 Synrod and am looking for a scope. Here are my paramaters: 3-12X, mil-dot reticle, side AO, "light" weight, budget of $200ish. After a week of intense internet searching I've narrowed it down to two: the Athlon Talos 3-12x40 (#215004) or the Leapers 3-12x44 (SCP3-3124AOMD). I was able to only find a handful of Athlon 3-12 reviews but they were pretty positive. My best friend has this Leapers model and it's been a great scope. Here's how they compare.

Athlon $150 16.2oz 12" long 4 mil-dots
Leapers $110 21.2oz 14" long 6 mil-dots

I'm really looking for some feedback from people with firsthand knowledge of the Athlon 3-12. I like the lower weight of the Athlon but like the 6 mil-dots of the Leapers and the $40 difference isn't really a factor.

Thanks.
Doug

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Derrek
(Login jusanothajoe)
YF12

I am

October 9 2017, 10:17 AM 

Impressed with the two Athlon Talos scopes I have.
A 4-16 and 6-24. I have been a Hawke user mainly and I think the Athlon's are clearer than the hawke's.
The Athlons are also lighter than the Leapers/UTG's.

Respond to this message   
Josh3rd
(Login josh3rd)
YF12

What about a Sun Optics FFP? NT

October 9 2017, 11:03 AM 

Respond to this message   
Doug T
(Login Doug-T)
YF

I don't see a side AO mil-dot 3-12.

October 9 2017, 8:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
wahoowad
(Login wahoowad)
YF

I just returned that scope today to Amazon

October 9 2017, 5:03 PM 

I bought it and initially mounted it on a centerfire rifle for use shooting steel targets at 100 and 300 yards. It performed well, was easy to zero, and I did not encounter any issues with it losing zero or anything. Like you I was interested in the length and weight aspect and it bubbled up to the top of my list.

I like at least a 12x when shooting 100 yard groups, and I struggled a little bit knowing when I had the crosshairs directly centered over the center of my target. While shooting additional groups and trying different ammo I happened to have another gun with a 4-12x40AO scope mounted on it. There was a significant enough difference in the level of magnification the other scope provided to make me doubt the Talos was actually at 12x. I don't know how to verify such a thing other than to compare it to another name brand scope.

I took the Talos off and mounted another scope I had available to try. This other scope cost about $75 more and musthave much better glass as things were clearly brighter with it. I decided to keep the new scope on the rifle and return the Talos.

I think the Talos would be fine for a PCP shooting at 75 yards or less as the 12x they have should be fine for any target shooting and groups you would shoot at that range. It had very good clicks on the turrets, and a smallish form factor.

It is a $150 scope, not a special steal of a deal. So if the features compare favorable to competing products at that price range then go for it.

But consider this Weaver too. It is drastically on sale at Natchez so you are getting more scope for the cost, and don't forget the $30 rebate so it comes in at $220. I should buy a new gun to justify getting this scope!

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-designed-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-12x42mm-33-0-8-4-3-46-3-19-matte.html

Respond to this message   
Doug T
(Login Doug-T)
YF

Thanks. No mil-dots on the Weaver

October 9 2017, 8:26 PM 

Respond to this message   
wahoowad
(Login wahoowad)
YF

I feel ya /nt

October 9 2017, 10:10 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.