....which one do you like and why.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

LP8 - or an old BSA Scorpion is even better

November 9 2017, 10:17 AM 

I have had a Browning 800. I was really disappointed with it. The recoil absorbing was plastic on plastic and not very precise.

I have a Diana LP8 and it is very nice, all metal with a much higher build quality.

However, I would recommend trying to find an old BSA Scorpion pistol. I like them better than either of the pistols you asked about.

You can find test on all three pistols on the Pyramyd Air Blog.

David Enoch

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Thanks David

November 9 2017, 1:47 PM 

What caliber do you have and are parts available for these ?

This message has been edited by fsa70 on Nov 9, 2017 1:48 PM

Respond to this message   
JW652
(Login JW652)
YC

+1 on the Scorpion

November 10 2017, 4:51 PM 

Agree with David on the BSA Scorpion pistol from the early 1980s. They are powerful and accurate. Best spring piston pistol that I have ever used.

Respond to this message   
Dave Nemanic
(Login BPDave)
YF12

BSA Scorpion power & accuracy!

November 16 2017, 1:51 PM 

Bench rested I was popping 12 ga Hulls@ 50 yds (open sights).
When I went downrange to set-up again, I found Hull number 2 with a H&N match W/C drilled dead center in the plastic 1/2 of it's length!
4 other hits just off center just left dents in thin plastic bodies of other hulls!
Mine is a .177 MK II.
Dave

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

the RWS is heads above the 800 as David states, you might

November 9 2017, 2:44 PM 

look on Gun Broker right now, there is a nice setup RWS on there now
if I needed one I might even buy it

the 800's recoil is very hard, I tried to quickly put a red dot on one and it will throw it off in a few shot, as to the floor

the Diana 5g mag has stiff recoil but the weight of the LP8 calm most of it down
mike

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Re: the RWS is heads above the 800 as David states, you might

November 9 2017, 3:26 PM 

Thanks for the heads-up Michael, but after Davids post, I've done some research and like what I see with the BSA Scorpion. I have a couple guys I've bought FWB 300's from abroad seeing what they might be able to find for me.

However, I told them I want something in excellent to pristine condition.

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

Frank

November 9 2017, 4:02 PM 

I have both 177 and 22. Parts are available. Unless someone had been inside them they need the buffer and piston seal replaced. I have an article that tells how to do the work. I did the repairs on the two I shoot.

This message has been edited by DavidEnoch on Nov 9, 2017 5:01 PM

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

David

November 9 2017, 4:55 PM 

Email sent

Respond to this message   
michael wolfram
(Login marflow)
YF

who says you can't have both and if the seller has any

November 10 2017, 12:35 AM 

knowledge about his or her Scorpion they don't go cheap
never seen one that was a get away and few come up for sale here or on the other Auction sites

well what ever you buy good luck and take care

just a note the Blue Book says a 100% BSA has a value of 225.00 to 250.00 but I have seen them sell for 400.00 in less condition
mike

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
YF12

They do turn up...

November 11 2017, 8:03 AM 

...a very nice boxed Scorpion was at the Hickory show last month (don't recall seller or price unfortunately!). They are "out there" if you are patient.

Just curious, have you considered the HW 45/P1 at all? Very nice and hard-shooting pistol in a more compact format, pricey but easy to find of course. I love mine.

Another OOP higher-powered barrel-cocker you might consider is the LP8's predecessor, the Diana LP5 Magnum. This interesting design used the empty space available at the rear of the classic old LP5's receiver tube (which was shared with the LP6 double-piston recoilless pistol), to get a longer spring and more piston travel in there. It also has more traditional blued-steel construction, as opposed to the LP8's cast outer shell.

Neither here nor there I guess, but a friend of mine had a Scorpion back in the day--fun to shoot, but wow it was one big ol' heavy hog-leg of a handgun! I remembered thinking a light rifle (meaning R7, Diana 27, BSA Meteor in those halcyon days) would be about as easy to carry, have similar power, and be a lot easier for me to actually hit something with, LOL... happy.gif

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Nov 11, 2017 8:17 AM

Respond to this message   

Randy Smith
(Login AirGumby)
YC

I have a BSA Scorpion pistol in .177 for sale...

November 11 2017, 9:16 PM 

email me at airgumby1 (at) att.net

I can send you pictures and information.

Randy

Respond to this message   
Dave Nemanic
(Login BPDave)
YF12

Scorpion .177!!!

November 16 2017, 2:06 PM 

Bench rested, open sights,H&N match c.
Pellet stuck to 1/2 length on dead center hit , hits just off center nearly penetrated free standing 12 ga hulls! No LIE!
Dave

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.