<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Pistol Scope Recommendations

November 11 2017 at 6:12 AM
Frank Alessio  (Login fsa70)
YF12

I just purchased a BSA Scorpion .177 from Matt and I'm looking for scope recommendations for it. I've owned more rifle scopes than I care to remember but an airgun pistol scope is all new to me.

The only thing I do know is that I don't want a Red Dot scope. Any input on this subject will be appreciated Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Skip in WV
(Login SkipinWV)
YF12

I used an Aeon scope I had laying arround

November 11 2017, 8:14 AM 

Works fine. Unless you want to hold the pistol at arm's length.

Respond to this message   

Frank in Fairfield
(Login MRodDude)
YF12

Pistol Scope

November 11 2017, 10:28 AM 

What is the intended uses for the BSA pistol?
10m
Plinking?

I have a 2.5-10X on my 1720T (FT/hunting at 12fpe).
I sometimes put a 2X on the IZH46M (10M/Plinking).

I also use Leopold 2X scopes on my Ruger MKIII and TC .44 Magnum.

I think the BSA is a springer so would put a BSA 2X on the pistol.

Good luck

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Frank

November 11 2017, 11:11 AM 

Yes,the Scorpion is a springer. I will be doing 10m plinking and shooting sparrows and starlings.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Respond to this message   

william
(Login williamN)
YC

If you want quality

November 11 2017, 10:28 AM 

but looking to save some $$, look for a used Japanese scope. You can find older Tasco, RWS, S&W etc.. that were manufactured in Japan and are less than $100

Respond to this message   
Earl
(Login daystate395)
YF12

Good Pistol Scope

November 11 2017, 11:42 AM 

I have a Burris Pistol scope on my air pistol and I think its one of the best out there. They aren't cheap but are high quality.

Respond to this message   

Wyo
(Login WyoMan)
YF12

Another recommendation for Burris...

November 11 2017, 1:02 PM 

They're built like a tank and have reasonable brightness and clarity (even at higher mag). Tough to find in a less-expensive pistol scope. If you have good eyesight, you may not need to spend as much. You will (most likely) have to re-parallax for 10m shooting...

[linked image]

Wyo

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

I would tend to spend a bit more.

November 11 2017, 6:40 PM 

I put a BSA Edge 2X pistol scope on a Beeman P1. It lasted less than a month. Point-of-impact with regards to point-of-aim changed with each shot. Groups were smaller with open sights. Noticed that the scope had developed a distinct rattle when shaken gently. In BSA's defense they replaced the scope. I sold the replacement unopened, at a loss.

I also didn't care for the field of view on a Weaver 1-4X that I once owned. On 4X it looked more like 1X and at 1X the target actually seemed smaller, like looking through a scope backwards. Heavy edge distortion as well. I sold that one too (with full disclosure and a money-back offer) and the new owner was completely fine with it. Maybe it was my eyes.

I never did try a Leupold or Burris pistol scope. I'd like to one day. I put a Burris FastFire3 on that Beeman and love it.

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Chris

November 11 2017, 7:07 PM 

That's exactly what I've been reading. Although many of the scopes I've been looking at are fine for powder burners or PCPs they aren't airgun rated.

I've even looked at the Nikon and Burris and they're not airgun rated.

That's the main reason I made this post is that I was hoping guys that are using the big airgun SPRINGERS could let me know what's working for them.

I also need a scope that will focus down to the closer distances ( 10-15 yards ) because that's what most of my shooting would be.

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login RockDoc65)
YF

I sympathize with your position.

November 11 2017, 9:18 PM 

I wish I had more hands-on experience that I could share. We all hear and read a lot and want to share that info but it's really not that useful. You want to hear from guys that actually put scope X on the same gun you have and lived to tell about it. I try to only speak on things I've done. So here is all I can offer:

This is what I KNOW from actual experience:

I killed a BSA Edge 2X pistol scope on a Beeman P1
I killed two "under $40" red-dots on a P1; one panoramic type, one tube type
Weaver 1-4X are not pleasant to look through but I never put it on the P1
I would not put more than a 2X on a pistol, I just can't hold them still enough
The Burris FastFire3 is a rock and I love it on the P1, but you don't want a red-dot, I get this
Burris pistol scopes are kind of expensive (to my budget)
Leupold pistol scopes are VERY expensive (to my budget)

Here is what I strongly suspect:

The Burris and Leupold would likely hold up
If they didn't I suspect their warranties would hold up

Here is what I would do:

Call or email Leupold and Burris and ask; If I put your scope on my gun and it fails will you man up?
If they both said yes I'd probably have to go with the Burris for budget reasons
If one said no I'd go with the other
If both said no I'd get another FastFire3 and deal with the limitations of a red-dot, they are lightning on small game/pests

Hope this helps/

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Thanks

November 12 2017, 7:03 AM 

Outstanding reply Chris.

I know there are a lot of Browning 800, Hatsan 25, RWS LP8 and Scorpion owners out there and was hoping some of them would reply and tell me their experiences and what they are using AND what to stay away from.

I might consider a Red Dot but concerned that my glaucoma may hinder me with problems seeing the "dot".

This message has been edited by fsa70 on Nov 12, 2017 12:09 PM

Respond to this message   

David Enoch
(Login DavidEnoch)
YF

NC Star 2-7

November 13 2017, 8:35 AM 

I think I have NC Star 2-7 scopes on both of my Scorpions.
David Enoch

Respond to this message   
Frank Alessio
(Login fsa70)
YF12

Thanks David

November 13 2017, 11:17 AM 

I'll check them out.

Respond to this message   

Lonnie
(Login AirSmithCA)
YF

Its not high end but i like my 3-9x bugbuster a lot on my Crosman pistol...nt

November 13 2017, 8:12 PM 

"It doesn't get done til someone does it"

Respond to this message   
looknup
(Login looknup)
YF12

2x pistol scopes work best for me

November 13 2017, 11:36 PM 

I have a Leupold Pistol Scope 2x 20mm Duplex Reticle that is my favorite (bought used on the Yellow). I tried the BSA 2-7x Edge I bought new and found it too hard to find the eye box. I also liked a used Weaver 2x, made in Japan, that I bought on the Yellow.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.