<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

what spring rifle for long range accuracy do you guys like

November 11 2017 at 5:57 PM
ed  (Login edwierd)
YF

I have decided to get a new spring gun and like to shoot paper up to 100 yds. I was wondering if any of you shoot longer distance with the ones you own and what your accuracy is like. I am looking mostly at fixed barrels but I am not against break barrels so feel free to recommend one. I just usually see better accuracy out of fixed barrels ive owned. I was strongly considering a rws 54 mainly because I owned a 48 and now own a fwb 300 and like the idea of "mostly" recoilless rifle. also I don't plan on doing any internal work to whatever I buy just want the best stock gun I can get. thanks in advance guys. take care

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jason W Garvin
(Login jason_garvin)
YF12

Re: what spring rifle for long range accuracy do you guys like

November 11 2017, 7:57 PM 

Hi there,

I have quite a few springers, probably a few to many. But I recall my full length TX 200 shooting it last winter out the pole barn window as an escape from reality, and remember my brother and I both shooting some pretty impressive groups at 75 yds in a crosswind. It is full power still, and havent dropped it down as it shoots too good to touch it. My HW's shoot real good too, but needed some massaging to calm them down.

🎯

Jason G

Respond to this message   
MikefromMidland
(Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

You would be Very Happy with a D-54.

November 11 2017, 8:03 PM 

I used to play around with my Diana 350 shooting JSB 10.34's out at dried up fields (trying to hit dirt clumps). It was fun, but shooting a spring gun to 100 yds can be quite an adventure. Enjoy.

This message has been edited by MScottLeeman on Nov 11, 2017 8:05 PM

Respond to this message   
Don
(Login pops77)
YF12

Only shot my D54 @ 95 yds

November 11 2017, 8:37 PM 

one time but was very happy with the results. 1.5 inch, 5 shot group with about 3 mph wind. 95 yds is my limit at my place. have had several 1" groups @ 63 yds. And mine is pure stock. 4-12 airmax and jsb 15.89.
You will not be sorry with the 54.

Respond to this message   
Erockrocket
(Login Erockrocket)
YF12

I would recommend a Diana 54

November 11 2017, 11:02 PM 

My .177 Diana 54 has been a pleasure to shoot.
Completely stock they perform well.
My example of their accuracy from earlier today wink.gif

https://youtu.be/_hR_ZKycvdg

Respond to this message   
ed
(Login edwierd)
YF

thanks guys

November 12 2017, 12:19 AM 

im almost certain its gonna be a 54 for me. take care

Respond to this message   
Charles Woosley
(Login cwoosleyjr)
YF12

Longer Range Springer Rifle

November 12 2017, 8:18 AM 

I have a Diana 56TH which is used for distances out to 60m (approx. 66yards). It has the same fixed barrel "recoiless" system as the Diana RWS 54 but with a stylish heavy thumbhole stock and muzzle barrel weight for stability. It is best used for benchrest shooting and would be very heavy to carry for hunting.

Respond to this message   
Charles Woosley
(Login cwoosleyjr)
YF12

Longer Range Springer Rifle

November 12 2017, 8:18 AM 

I have a Diana 56TH which is used for distances out to 60m (approx. 66yards). It has the same fixed barrel "recoiless" system as the Diana RWS 54 but with a stylish heavy thumbhole stock and muzzle barrel weight for stability. It is best used for benchrest shooting and would be very heavy to carry for hunting.

Respond to this message   
crazyhorse
(Login icufuzz)
YC

Re: what spring rifle for long range accuracy do you guys like

November 12 2017, 10:29 AM 

Whiscombe JW-75 .22 cal.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

Walther LGV/LGU

November 12 2017, 10:54 AM 

I love my many Dianas, but you would be remiss if you didn't investigate the modern Walther line. Amazing springers!

Respond to this message   
MikefromMidland
(Select Login MScottLeeman)
YF12

I concur Dave! I absolutely love my LGU .177 nt.

November 13 2017, 7:33 PM 

Respond to this message   

daveabch
(Login Davevabch)
AR&P

Big Plus for the LGV!!

November 17 2017, 1:44 AM 

Better out of the box than many of my Pro tuned rifles.

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

150 yd drink cans with an HW 97

November 12 2017, 11:54 AM 

I've done a bit of field target shooting and where I shoot spring gun guys use TX 200's or HW 97's if that says anything to you. Ted's Holdover videos show him knocking over empty shotgun shells with a factory .177 R9 at 100 yds. I have personally made Swiss cheese out of a small tomato juice drink can 2 inches wide by 4 inches high at 150 measured yds with my factory .177 HW 97 with 6.5-20x scope. I used H&N Field Target Trophy pellets straight out of the tin. I had to experiment a bit to find the hold my gun shoots best using and be consistent with that. Keep your stock screws properly tightened and use thread lock. From everything I've seen and read, keep velocities at or below 900 fps in .177 for best pellet stability. Good luck and have fun.

Respond to this message   

Bill S
(Login tripleguy)
YC

Almost any decent, well made gun will do it well

November 12 2017, 2:23 PM 

Any of the higher power HW guns (Beeman equivalents) or Diana, Walther, etc. will do pretty well in good conditions. I prefer a bigger, heavier pellet that has a higher BC as it will buck side winds better. Elevation adjustment is pretty easy. Gauging how the wind affects the pellet is harder because it's generally not consistent. I've shot good long range groups with a Beeman R1, R10, Webley Tomahawk in .25.
"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   
Gruntled
(Login eureeka)
AR&P

A sidelever springer has some interesting possibilities

November 12 2017, 8:49 PM 

The possibilities of a sidelever springer which could be used with a bipod makes it a fun long distance hunter. Or long distance bell ringer if that, um, rings your bell...

A 54 would be the best candidate I could think of to use that way.

I've been thinking about a Diana product again after too long an absence from the brand (and a return to more open weekends).

Respond to this message   
Grack
(Login gracksnip)
YF

long-range springer

November 13 2017, 11:12 AM 

HW97K -- fixed barrel, good weight, solid lock-up. I remember rolling a squirrel at 63 yds (from a rest) on a dead-still winter morning a few years back ... held a little high, the pellet dropped right into the boiler room, he never twitched after hitting the ground.

Respond to this message   
ed
(Login edwierd)
YF

thanks for the replies guys

November 13 2017, 5:57 PM 

your recommended are all ones I have been tossing around in my head. why do there have to be so many good guns these days. makes buying one hard. take care

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.