<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Diana 240 Classic....... Thanks, you bloody enablers ! LOL

December 2 2017 at 10:17 AM
scottro  (Login scottgg)
YF

Well... Pyramyd's $149.99 w/ free shipping deal and my $15 in Bullseye Bucks will bring the little rifle to my door for $135.

I'll be testing it right away and shining a flashlight into the slot to see how it's machined. If it looks/shoots poorly, it's going back to PA. I don't mind doing a spring-end polish and lube tune, or barrel de-droop, but don't want another major project. I already have 3 motorcycle projects in queue this winter and don't want do a lot of re-work on a 240.

If it's a sweet shooter, I'll be pretty happy with the deal.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Hahaha!!!

December 2 2017, 11:45 AM 

$149.99 is a good price, IMO. But with the free shipping and your Bullseye Bucks, you got a pretty good deal. I think when I got mine they were going for around $179 (a 34 was only about $50 more, lol). But at that time you could use the 10% off coupons for one, too. Can't use those now that they're being sold under the Diana brand instead of the RWS label.

I hope you get a good one! But even if it does have grooves in the spring cylinder like mine, don't worry about it too much. Just look at them like I do, as lube retention grooves, lol. It's the compression chamber that really matters. And mine was nicely finished there. And if you're like me and don't like fiber optic sights, the little Hawke or BSA 2-7x32 scopes are a good fit on it.

Oh, and be sure to give the JSB RS or AA Falcons a try. Mines loves those pellets, especially the Falcons. And the AA Express are pretty good, too.

"You've come far, pilgrim."-------"Feels like far."
"Were it worth the trouble?"-----"Ah, what trouble?"

This message has been edited by jmhenrichs on Dec 2, 2017 12:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
YF12

While you're at it, get a Plinkster

December 2 2017, 4:58 PM 

Last time I looked, $109 to your door. Remarkable little gun, really!
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login Jon88)
AR&P

Just so we're clear...

December 3 2017, 6:23 PM 

You bought a Chinese based Diana Springer, and if doesn't meet past Diana quality control you're sending it back. You could buy a 1984 Dodge Caravan with a Mitsubishi Hemi engine. Do you expect it to be a 1969 hemi roadrunner?

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login pelletpoor)
YF

On the 8th day, God created the 69 Hemi Roadrunner !!!!!!!!! nt

December 3 2017, 7:16 PM 

This message has been edited by pelletpoor on Dec 3, 2017 7:17 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Huh?.......w/Edit

December 3 2017, 7:26 PM 

Far as I know the 240 Classic is made by Diana in Germany. I got mine in 2011 and it's stamped made in Germany. But maybe Scott will let us know how his is stamped when he gets it. FWIW, Longbow bought one earlier this year and he said that his was stamped "DE 2016". The "DE" stamping is an abbreviation for Deutschland and means that it's a product of Germany, according to a European gun law which requires the country of origin to be stamped on guns.

But Diana's new model "250" looks like it might be made in China. It has the safety in the trigger guard like a Crosman or Gamo springer does. Check out page 25 of the 2017 Diana catalog to see what the "250" looks like.

https://www.diana-airguns.de/fileadmin/Editoren/PDF-Downloads/Publkationen/DIANA-Katalog-2017.pdf

Edit: The guy in this YouTube video says that the new model "250" is made in China. But it looks like the production version has a T05/T06 style safety instead of the one pictured in the Diana catalog which is in the trigger guard. Scroll down in the comments and read the comment by "Cheap Shot" and the OP's reply to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqHJqYzau-I

This message has been edited by jmhenrichs on Dec 4, 2017 1:08 PM

Respond to this message   
scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Thanks for your input!

December 3 2017, 7:54 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Jon
(Login Jon88)
AR&P

Just so we're clear...

December 3 2017, 6:23 PM 

You bought a Chinese based Diana Springer, and if doesn't meet past Diana quality control you're sending it back. You could buy a 1984 Dodge Caravan with a Mitsubishi Hemi engine. Do you expect it to be a 1969 hemi roadrunner?

Respond to this message   
scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Thanks Again for your input!

December 3 2017, 7:55 PM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Nope...just want it to be the equal of the old RWS 24

December 3 2017, 8:06 PM 

"Better" would be nice....but if it is as good, would be enough.

Respond to this message   
Scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Received the 240 this evening. The gun looks great. I have a question tho...

December 5 2017, 6:06 PM 

The rifle was delivered today. Nicely packaged and double-boxed by Pyramyd. I unboxed it and it definitely looks up-to-snuff quality-wise with other Dianas I've bought over the last 20 yrs or so. I'm not keen on the plastic front sight, but otherwise I like it. The wood and metal finish is very nice. The bluing isn't high-polish, but is dark and even and smooth. If there's any barrel droop, I can't see it.

It has a TO5 trigger. It says DE 2017 on the receiver and "Made in Germany" on the barrel.

So far, it's a winner. I'm very pleased with the external quality. I need to see how it shoots, but won't get a chance to wring it out until this weekend.

QUESTION: With regard to the rear sight. How many detent balls should it have? When I unboxed this rifle, the barrel was slightly cocked. It had apparently bounced around in the box in shipping. It was out of the locked position enough to force the rear sight to poke thru the plastic bag protecting the gun. The bouncing around caused the ball detent(s) in the rear sight to escape. The elevation screw still worked, but didn't click/lock into position. Fortunately, I was able to find one detent ball in the bag. WHEW! When I re-installed the ball, I noticed there are recesses for two balls in the sight base. I have thoroughly searched the bag and box, and am about to scour the "outer" box w/ a magnet to see if I can find another detent- if the gun is supposed to have two. It seems to click into place fine with a single ball detent, but if it's supposed to have two, I'd like to find/obtain the second one. Hey, when it comes to balls, two seems like the magic number....happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Should be two of them.

December 5 2017, 7:48 PM 

I checked the rear sight off my 240 and there were two of those tiny little buggers in there. Like you said, it will probably function just fine with only one in it since the 240 is such a mild shooting gun. But if it was on anything with more power/recoil I'd definitely want both of them in there. FWIW, I measured one and came up with 0.098".

I don't envy you having to search thru the boxes and packing for that tiny little thing. Been there, done that with those little safety balls in the Crosman pistols. It's no fun searching for something that tiny. wink.gif

Here's a tip in case you can't find the other one. Several years ago a friend had brought me a click adjustable sight off a powder burner that was missing the ball. I found some tiny ball bearings that were the right size at a hobby shop that had a well stocked RC car section. So if you have a good hobby shop nearby it might be worth a trip to see if they have any the right size.

I still have some of those little bearings but, unfortunately, they only measured 0.093". Not sure how well they would work but if you can't find any the right size I'd be more than happy to send you a couple of them. Just let me know.

Oh, yeah. Your 240 is sounding good so far, other than the snafu with the rear sight. Look forward to reading how it does when you get the chance to do some shootin' with it. Hope it shoots as good as mine does. Also look forward to hearing what you think of the T05 when it's matched up with that lighter mainspring.

This message has been edited by jmhenrichs on Dec 5, 2017 8:06 PM

Respond to this message   
scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Thanks for the info and offer. I might take you up on it.

December 5 2017, 8:14 PM 

I'm going to let Pyramyd know the situation and I'll test the gun. That ball may have been lost anywhere between here and the Fatherland, but in bright sunlight, I'll look for Ball #2 in the box. Unlikely I'll find it in the cardboard, styrofoam and paper packing.

If the gun's a def "keeper" and they can't supply the ball, then I'll ping ya. I'm trying to think if I've seen a little detent ball in anything else around the house. hmmmm There's a hobby shop nearby, but the RC car selection doesn't seem outstanding. I'll check Amazon, ebay, etc too.

If the sight wouldn't have cut thru the plastic bag, the other ball probably wouldn't have escaped from the bag. It was well-sealed otherwise.

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

No problem.

December 5 2017, 8:48 PM 

Just let me know if you need/want them. BTW, you might check with Mike M at Flying Dragon, too. I think those B25s and B28s use copies of the Diana sight. Might be they use the same size ball in them.

That little ball may have jumped out on the floor while you were unwrapping the gun. So it may have made the great escape to never never land, lol. And as tiny as it is you never would have heard it hit the floor or anything if it did escape that way.

Um, just had a thought here. Since you found the one ball in the bag, it's possible that the second ball stayed in the bag too and might have found it's way inside the gun. Might not hurt to take the action out of the stock and give things a good going over before you shoot it. And be sure to give the cocking slot a really good look inside, too. If there's any grease on the mainspring that little ball could be stuck to it. Myself, I'm not sure I'd want to shoot the gun until I was sure that ball wasn't inside the action somewhere.

Respond to this message   
scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

It could have hit the floor I suppose...

December 5 2017, 9:26 PM 

But the sight and breech were poked almost entirely out of the bag, so it's really anybody's guess.

I was going to cock the rifle and fire into a phone book, but it crossed my mind that it could be inside the gun somewhere. I'll resist the immediate temptation now and wait until I can remove the stock over top of a large tupperware tub -- in case the little guy rattles out.

I'm glad you responded again, because you're making me think. I don't want to fire it and possibly damage the gun. I don't want to take it apart and void the return policy either... I think I'll call Pyramyd tomorrow and talk to a human and see what they say. It seemed like a small problem at first, but now it's seeming a bit more serious. I've called and visited Pyramyd in the past and they've been really cool, so before I screw something up, I'll talk to them.

Mike M's a nice guy, and I'll keep him in mind after I check Pyramyd. I've got some old take-off sights lying around I could look at. I suppose it's also possible (if necessary) to slightly drill out the ball recess and put something larger in there.

LOL This is just my luck lately. lol No doubt, it'll work out fine. But it's really tough to get a brand new toy then have to wait to play w/ it!

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Lol...I know what you mean...

December 5 2017, 10:07 PM 

About waiting to play with a new toy. A few years ago I got a Daisy 717 from PA (won a PA gift certificate in one of the Christmas drawings here). Just my luck that I came down with the flu a couple days before it got here. It sat in the unopened package staring at me for hours before I felt up to opening it up, lol. Dry fired it a couple of times and put it back in the box until I felt better.

Yeah, it might not be inside the gun, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Especially with a brand new one. And I agree with you about PA, great folks there. But if everything else on it looked good, good bluing/good looking wood, I'd be half tempted to call it mine and just go ahead and tear into it, lol.

Good luck! I hope you find that ball and that it's not inside the gun!

Respond to this message   
Scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Called Pyramyd. They're sending me the detent from a parts gun.

December 6 2017, 7:09 PM 

Yay. They also said it won't void the warranty if I remove the stock and blow the gun out w/ compressed air. They said I could try that or send it back for exchange, so I'll give it a shot. If it's damaged by the loose ball, I won't be blamed.

I notice the 240 deal now comes with a free soft case instead of the tin of pellets. lol

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Good deal!

December 6 2017, 8:06 PM 

I hope this one survives the journey to you, lol. I've rarely had any problems with orders from PA. But when I did, they almost bent over backwards to make things right.

Never thought about using compressed air. That's a good idea and definitely worth a try. Hopefully that little ball just wondered off somewhere by it's lonesome and didn't find it's way inside the gun.

Lol, I got an email from them today about the 240 deal and it coming with a soft case and spinner target. That's one of those few times when it would have paid to have been a few days late on pushing the button! wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Scottro
(Login scottgg)
YF

Left the stock on, and blew out the cocking slot and trigger assy w/ Dust Off.

December 6 2017, 8:26 PM 

I've shot it a few times into a phone book a few feet away. It's dieseling and makes a bit of a "crack". It feels and sounds dry and buzzy. The comb is a tad high for open sights unless they're adjusted pretty high. It doesn't penetrate very far into the phonebook. I'd guess it's firing in the 500fps range. Maybe on par with an IZH 60.

Respond to this message   
Jim in SWMO
(Login jmhenrichs)
YF

Your velocity guess is probably pretty close.

December 6 2017, 9:27 PM 

From what few numbers I've seen posted for the 240 they seem to run from the high 400's to the mid 500's depending on pellet weight. As I mentioned earlier, mine is shooting the 7.33gr AA Falcons at about 540fps. The 240 is definitely no speed demon, but it has enough juice and accuracy to protect a feeder from house sparrows and starlings, as long as you keep the distance under 20yds.

Mine has a tiny bit of buzz/twang, but it's not too bad. Unlike most Diana springers, my 240 had plenty of lube inside, almost too much. If you decide to keep it, definitely do a tear down and polish the spring ends and give it a proper lube job. Like most springers, mine responded pretty well to that.

Have fun with it! And I'll be watching to see how the accuracy is with yours.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.