<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

RAW 1000X or FX Crown .25 cal

December 2 2017 at 11:30 AM
Bill Zizzi  (Login bzizzi373)
YF

I have been trying to decide between the RAW 1000X and The FX Crown in .25 cal. i know that the RAW is a heck of a gun and Martin and Sandra at RAW are wonderful people. If I ordered a RAW I would get a .25 with sporter walnut stock and offset moderator to keep the weight down. The FX Crown looks tempting, weighing in at 7.3 lbs with laminated stock and only 43" long makes the Crown tempting.
Also FX now has it's own USA distributor with service and support in NC with Earnest Rowe heading up the service dept. as well as other experienced personal. This is HUGE !
Has Anybody shot both guns yet and can give any input ?

This message has been edited by bzizzi373 on Dec 2, 2017 11:31 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

I have a RAWHMX in .25 and LOVE IT!

December 2 2017, 12:19 PM 

Grant it I have never owned a FX Crown I can speak for my experience with the RAW.

It is a gem of a rifle.

Bought it new and I have called for support ona few occasions - never because anything was wrong, rather to ask some questions. I mention that because getting to talk with either Sandra or directly to Martin is a bonus in my opinion. Great people as you say.

Good luck with your choice.

Get the RAW! happy.gif

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   

C. Jones
(Login limbshaker)
YF12

I look at it....

December 2 2017, 1:24 PM 

I look at it this way, if you want to tinker get the FX.

If you want it to just work great right from the box and day to day, get the RAW.

With the FX you are a lot more likely to need that service and support.

I like to tinker and I would still buy the RAW.

I've shot a RAW but not shot a Crown. I've owned and shot other FX rifles though.

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

No Idea?

December 2 2017, 1:40 PM 

I own 3 FX rifles and have shot nearly 80,000 rounds in total through the 3 of them. I can say with complete confidence, I have no idea what you are talking about regarding tinkering on a FX, or more likely to require service with them. All 3 of my FX rifles have been incredibly reliable!!!!

This message has been edited by KTM250XC on Dec 2, 2017 1:41 PM

Respond to this message   

C. Jones
(Login limbshaker)
YF12

Glad you like yours

December 2 2017, 4:32 PM 

I have had a Webley Spectre (FX Cyclone) for a few years and it's hands down the flimsiest rifle I've ever owned. It's only failed a couple times from poorly machined trigger parts and brass parts shaving themselves to bits. But it usually functions fine and is accurate so I like it.

Ever seen the trigger setup on a Royale/Cyclone and a lot of FXs? Pretty cheesy and not really even a two stage. But it works.

And how about the issues with the Impact?

There is a reason they are lightweight.

Most are great rifles, but all the ones I've shot and owned were far from "robust". But that may not be a factor in some folks decisions and that's perfectly understandable.

The "tinkering" I was referring to with the Crown was all the tuneable parts. Swapping barrel liners, twist rates, regulator settings, etc. If you like to tinker with adjustments and tuning, it's right up your alley. If the thought of knocking something out of whack and not knowing how to adjust it back into place scares you, then the Crown would be a poor fit for you.

The opposite can be said for the RAW. Not as much "tinkering" available, but it just shoots very good right from the box with a very unlikely chance of ever needing adjustments.

It's all in what each particular airgunner is looking for. And luckily for us, there are choices to suit everyone.

Unlucky for me, I'm poor so I couldn't afford either! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

You lost me at "cheesy and not even a two stage"

December 2 2017, 5:47 PM 

Yes, I have seen the trigger on a Royale. Between my brother and myself, we have three of them - they work great, they all operate nicely as two stage and none of them are "cheesy". In fact I will go so far as to say, that after a little work (and I mean very little), they are the very best triggers I have ever shot. And I have shot many rifles; from my own FX, Daystate Airwolfe MCT and modified Marauder rifles, to other rifles shot at numerous FT competitions attended such as Steyr, Brocock, and Air Arms; to some eastern European models and many different high-end springers. Of course trigger feel and action is HIGHLY subjective to the user, but that is my take after shooting over 200,000 rounds over the past 4-1/2 years.

So a rifle is criticized because it has some adjustable features? Wow! How sad!!

This message has been edited by KTM250XC on Dec 3, 2017 6:55 PM

Respond to this message   

C. Jones
(Login limbshaker)
YF12

You still aren't getting it...

December 2 2017, 6:48 PM 

Let me clarify, again.

First off, I never said the trigger in the Royale was bad or performed poorly. But it is a rather, um, "agricultural" design. But it works, and works well.

I'm not criticizing the Crown because of it's adjustable features. I'm just saying that a totally adjustable/tuneable/tinkerable rifle is not for everyone, and especially the guy who can't change a breech seal oring or other small maintenance task. The RAW would be better for a guy in those shoes. It's simple, not super adjustable, and overbuilt.

Now for the guy that can reseal his own rifle, tune a PCP for the desired power at the most efficiency, and experiment with twist rates to accomplish what he wants, the Crown is the right rifle for him. He would probably find the RAW rather boring and lame.

Everyone is different, and wants something different. Myself, I like the RAW because they shoot great and are proven rugged. That's important because of the type of hunting I do. I'm not a paper puncher.

Speaking of different kinds of people, I can tell from your attitude that a rifle called "The Crown" would be the ONLY rifle worthy to grace your hands ... LOL See? Something for everyone. wink.gif

And on another note, I ride junky ole Suzukis and Yamahas. I see you are a KTM fan. Naturally, FX rifles would suit you better. happy.gif

This message has been edited by limbshaker on Dec 2, 2017 6:52 PM

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

And you

December 2 2017, 7:59 PM 

defined your insecurities by making a personal attack.

Thank you, it was fun!!

Respond to this message   
Kdog
(Login Kdog2hunt)
YF12

If it was my $$$,,,,

December 2 2017, 1:47 PM 

Id go with a RAW,,,,,i see quite a few posts on forums where there FX rifle is leaking or needs some kind of service.Very rarely see that with RAW.Before i bought though id go to a FT shoot and try to handle both and look at the build quality first hand and make a decision from there.

Respond to this message   
crossliner
(Login crossliner)
YF12

Re: If it was my $$$,,,,

December 2 2017, 5:17 PM 

I was in AZ last week, so I was able to swing by AOA. I won't name names but they said that they encounter problems with the FX every now and then. They sing high praises for their Daystates though. They said it is their most robust brand of airguns.

Respond to this message   
JW652
(Login JW652)
YC

Choice

December 2 2017, 6:39 PM 

Just received a .25 HM 1000X with the slow twist poly barrel and I have never held a more perfect hunter - at least by my standards.

Bought my first PCP in 1991. Played the FT Circuit seriously for 15 years and served for seven years on the AAFTA BOG.
Have been fortunate to have friends who let me shoot almost every FT rifle available. And although my own FT rifle was a Whiscombe, the safe is full of pcps from a variety of makers.

That said, the .25 HMX shoots as well at the FT distance of 55 yds as any rifle I have ever handled. The trigger is superb beyond description.
At 100 yds with 34 gr. JSBs it smacks the tar out of 2" heavy steel spinner. IMHO opinion, Martin makes the best sporter out there and has the best service. That includes my Air Wolf that I custom ordered from Gary when he still owned the company. Got an extra trigger and battery pack expecting to love it forever. However, after two weeks the bottle started leaning and it has been a safe queen ever since as I wasn't impressed enough to bother to fix it.

Just my opinion, but go for the EAW product.

Respond to this message   
bReTt
(Login CBPeter)
YC

Try as hard as you can to

December 2 2017, 7:05 PM 

Handle and shoot both rifles before you buy if at all possible.

The have an FX Royale 400 .22. It’s handles amazing. I love that rifle. It serves me well.

I have NOT handled a RAW but from what I have read from others is that they are a large and heavier rifle. What I like about the RAW is the good reports of the performance AND the people that make them. It’s also a US company and that appeals to me. If I were going to put my money down again, I would put it on the RAW. But I have no regrets about the FX either. I think that you will be happy either way. I’m a tinkerer and it does get old after awhile. Sometimes I just want to shoot, not fiddle with adjustments.
Brett

Respond to this message   
Bill Zizzi
(Login bzizzi373)
YF

I just ordered one of each ! Only way to know for sure.

December 2 2017, 9:33 PM 

Ok, I just ordered a HM1000X in .25 with a Walnut sporter stock and put a deposit on a Crown .25, what ever I like better
I will keep and sell the other, If they are both awesome I'll just keep both. Sounds a little crazy but only way to know for sure.
Will prob get the Crown first maybe sometime in January and I hear the RAW is 10-12 weeks out so sometime in Febuary.
Martin said Walnut sported with CF bottle will keep the weight down., also having the RAW fitted with a accessory rail.
Once I have both I'll post a full unbiased comparison.

This message has been edited by bzizzi373 on Dec 2, 2017 11:26 PM

Respond to this message   
bReTt
(Login CBPeter)
YC

Whoa! Way to make a decision.

December 2 2017, 10:09 PM 

That’s great. Now the wait begins....
Brett

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

Great way to resolve a purchase decision. :<))

December 3 2017, 10:10 AM 

I will be looking forward to your reviews.

Respond to this message   
Dave Larson
(Login Buzzurd5)
AR&P

Crown or Raw

December 4 2017, 12:53 AM 

Hi Bill, I have both rifles and they are spectacular, tremendously accurate and very well made. In my opinion the Raw is a flawless nearly perfect rifle, it’s heavy and everything is machined so beautifully. The side lever is so smooth and the trigger is excellent. The only thing that the Crown has over the Raw (in my opinion) is weight. The Crown is not as finely finished as the Raw, and the side lever isn’t quite as smooth. Both are tremendously accurate. The Raw trigger is slightly better than the Crown, but the Crown trigger is excellent too.
A.Z. told me that the Raw would be more trouble free as the years go by, because it’s built so perfectly and is so stout. He called it the flagship of air rifles of today!
The Crown is a bit more comfortable to shoot for me because it’s so much lighter and the balance is awesome, for hunting I’d pick the Crown over the Raw. Both are ridiculously accurate and I cannot say one is better than the other.
I have a FX Royal .177 that is my overall favorite gun, laser accurate and light weight with perfect balance. The only negative thing I’ve ever experienced with the FX Royal is that the two stage trigger has degraded into a spongy one stage trigger. It’s still a excellent trigger, very light, but the distinct two stage is gone. I’m not sure if I can adjust it back, I am going to ask A.Z. about it because I would like it to be two stage again.
I’m not confident enough to experiment to try and get it back...anyone know if it’s easy to adjust FX triggers?
Bill, you will love either one for sure!
I’m so impressed with the Crown that it’s going to be my .25 and A.Z. is going to convert the Raw into a hot long range .177 with a poly barrel. He said that it will get tons of high power shots. Hopefully my opinion can help you decide.

Respond to this message   
Dave Larson
(Login Buzzurd5)
AR&P

Ha ha ha, just saw you ordered both, that works! NFT

December 4 2017, 1:14 AM 

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login KTM250XC)
YF12

Royale Trigger

December 4 2017, 10:53 AM 

Have you ever tried removing the trigger assembly to clean and lube? If not, doing so will most likely fix any problems you noted. The Royale trigger is extremely easy to work on and once a person is familiar with it, the entire process of removal, cleaning, lubing and reassembly should take no more than 8 to 10 minutes.

Dave - Please do not hesitated to send me a PM if you have any questions regarding the Royale trigger.

Respond to this message   
Dave
(Login Buzzurd5)
AR&P

Tom my email is dglmtmetalart@gmaildotcom. Thanks

December 4 2017, 3:02 PM 

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

You gonna test those in the snow Dave?

December 4 2017, 6:22 PM 

way too cold and damp to be outside testing...... at least here in the Bozone

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.