<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Cheap springers re-minder..best $100 deal...

December 2 2017 at 2:01 PM
gubb33ps  (Login gubb33ps)
YF

CZ 634 is cheap (like $100) BECASE it's ugly.

In this case, the price does not refelct the ability of the springer to shoot well....it's just that the plastic two-tone stock is either a horrid black and blue or an eye hurting red and blue.

So...rejoice in the ugly factor making the rifles avaialbe for $100....you will not find a better $100 spent on a springer.

What is hiding under that is pretty darned good spring with the old school steel construction of the 1950's and 1960's.

Super refined, it ain't.

Solid and accurate, it is.

#1. They make plastic friendly paint in nearly any color you have in mind. If the plastic stock is degreased before application, it seems it can last for years without touch up (I'm about due for a touch up).

If you want "tacti-cool" black, cammo pattern, sky blue, hot pink, deseret brown, or whatever you've the urge for...it's a paint job away.

Went with gray prime/battle ship gray/ CSA gray...depending on how you see simple gray.

photo 9882df91-653c-474a-b63a-7de46709cc76.jpg

#2. Trigger unit is super simple, and not too difficult to get at least a "decent" trigger pull from. Give up on fake-two-stage and go for a crisp 1 stage trigger.

#3. Either blue-lock tite the bedding screws or epoxy bed the stock to a "neutral" stress setting. The first is easier.

#4. The barrel latch works fine. The hinge felt a bit "loose".

I like a pivot that is just tight enough that after the break barrel is cocked, it coloses smootly...but with enough resistance that if I stop 1/2 way closed, the barrel doesn't just drop down from gravity.

photo 5e4f1f7d-6abf-4ab2-99f3-03457b8b1c5e.jpg

With that 1898 type Mauser locking screw/scaloped screw head, looks like it would be easy toadjust. It kind of is. But in my case, the "right" setting was between the scallops. Locked into one, was really loose...locked into the next, was super tight.

So I removed the screw and put a thin washer under it. With a little trial and error, stoned the washer until it felt "right" and the locking screw fit into one of the scallops (Yeah...I did bugger the screw slot up a little in the process).

This is where I left it in September.

photo 1b08ec7e-b4f0-4915-a6fe-aba8839b4fa6.jpg

This is where is was today in Decemeber (basically a 3 month lay-off from shooting this rifle).

photo c532f392-1bab-4fec-ab82-8806e842c0e4.jpg

How is this bad for a $100 springer...you willing to put out 6 5-shot targets at 20 yards at one sitting that's better?

Yep...as issued it is certainly UGLY (which may be why the last of them are on sale for $100)...isn't "over powered"...isn't "over scoped"...and isn't delicate.

photo 81291ca5-557f-40ae-85a4-907a354311b4.jpg

But I figure if I'm going to judge my PCP's, CO2's, SSP's, MSP's on a basis of 4 or 5 5-shot groups averages, I may as well judge the springers by the same yardstick. Not just the one group where everything went "right" but by the average of 20 or 30 shots.

This $100 springer passes.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cz+634&x=0&y=0

OK...$100...ingore the color as you'll paint it.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bReTt
(Login CBPeter)
YC

Almost sucked me into one of these

December 2 2017, 7:44 PM 

You even left a link! Ha ha

I have too many already and then you show me this? Now I think that I “need” one. Where! Almost got me... that was close.
Brett

Respond to this message   
Rick P
(Login pluric)
YF12

I fell for it

December 3 2017, 10:33 AM 

These threads keep popping up praising the gun for it's value.
I have a HW30 and R7 so we'll see. If nothing else I have nieces
and nephews that I like to give guns to to get them interested.
This looks like a good candidate. Order is in. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
TCooper
(Login t-cooper)
YF

nice accuracy

December 2 2017, 11:49 PM 

I have never handled a 634 but did shoot a couple of 631 rifles in the past. The plastic stock deal is difficult to resist. Are seals and springs still available or has anyone found a substitute?

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Next time....

December 3 2017, 12:08 AM 

Next time I have it apart, will get a spring diameter and length. It's really a non-stressed system, with little pre-load, so the take down is well handled by adult hand strength rather than a spring-vice.

Yep..did have a wood stocked version...which if foolishly sold when the PCP bug bit me hard. For a few years there, wanted nothing to do with springers...I got over it, but not befor divesting myself of some springers I should have kept.

[URL=91da5464-4ad6-49fc-b177-c2a6eb1907dc.jpg.html][IMG<span class=[linked image]" alt="[linked image]">[/IMG][/URL]

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Dec 3, 2017 12:12 AM

Respond to this message   
Jeff C
(Login Dieker)
YF

Here are the OEM specs.

December 5 2017, 3:24 PM 

wire .125'', coils 29.5, OAL 8.3/8'', compressed 3.6875, guide shaft 2.5 inches long, Guide OD tapered from .460'' to .490 at the base, spring ID .505''.( very loose on guide but a good fit in piston) I put a 3.5'' long sleeve over the factory guide and kept the oem seals just sanded some rough spots and honed the comp tube. The piston is bearinged on the rear like a TX or LGU.

Respond to this message   
OhioBruce
(Login OhioBruce)
YF12

Springs and Seal

December 3 2017, 12:10 AM 

Vortek spring: .118 Wire .740 O.D. x 29 coils = 10.53 fpe. 28 coils = 9.98 fpe

OEM seal from my Gamo Accu fit on the piston and just needed the O.D. sanded down for a perfect fit.

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Good to know...

December 3 2017, 12:17 AM 

..thanks for the heads up.

Respond to this message   
Tim Ward
(Login lefteyeshot)
YF12

Best $100 I ever spent

December 3 2017, 8:14 AM 

for my blue/black 634 but my $150 631 (at a gun shop) is a lot nicer looking.

Respond to this message   
PAQUETE MICHAEL
(Login mikerws)
YF12

this forum is funny because...

December 3 2017, 8:51 AM 

I was looking on budguns yesterday and that 634 rifle came up and I thought maybe it's a sleeper. how fast does it shoot and can it hang a little with a hw30?

Respond to this message   
OhioBruce
(Login OhioBruce)
YF12

You Have That Backwards

December 3 2017, 9:56 AM 

It should be - "Can a HW30 hang with 634?" The Slavia cocks about as easily as a Hw30 and shoots about as hard as a HW50. (750 fps with 8.5gr Sniper mediums.) HW30 and Slavia are equally accurate of the examples I've shot.

Respond to this message   
TCooper
(Login t-cooper)
YF

Gamo accu seal

December 3 2017, 11:20 AM 

I emailed Gamo-USA a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately they won't sell parts to customers without a FFL. Possibly Vortek as the Gamo seals.

Respond to this message   
OhioBruce
(Login OhioBruce)
YF12

Check with ARH or Vortek

December 3 2017, 12:13 PM 

I ordered an ARH Apex seal and it appears to be the same as the Slavia seal but with a slightly larger O.D.

Gamo won't sell us parts which is why I'll never buy another Gamo.

Respond to this message   
OhioBruce
(Login OhioBruce)
YF12

Double Post. Disregard. NT

December 3 2017, 12:13 PM 

This message has been edited by OhioBruce on Dec 3, 2017 12:14 PM

Respond to this message   
Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

#2. Trigger unit is super simple, and not too difficult to get at least a "decent" trigger

December 3 2017, 11:36 AM 

This is THE reason I don't buy these guns. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, I just know that if I took that gun and shot standing at 10 meters, my groups would be all over the place vs. a gun with a good trigger. I'm no match shooter but I do appreciate a real 2 stage trigger with a zero creep second stage.

-Scot

Respond to this message   
OhioBruce
(Login OhioBruce)
YF12

I've posted this trigger fix before, but

December 3 2017, 12:09 PM 

...I haven't heard of anyone trying it.

Make a spring to take out that long creeping travel. I use .030 spring wire. I've even used a bobby pin I found on the floor.
I've done it to six Slavia 634s. You will have to tweak the bend in the spring wire and adjust the spring behind the trigger to get exactly what you want. I have a crisp single stage trigger that I prefer to the ones in my HW 85s.

Respond to this message   
RC1947
(Login RC1947)
YF12

Superb rifles

December 3 2017, 9:24 PM 

I suppose you can say that I do manually what the spring does. Good idea on that. After cocking with the safety on, I pull the trigger, and what I get is a smooth, fairly light, single stage trigger. I bought a $31 tuning kit from Poland using Swedish steel for the spring, and installed it, also giving it a tune lube. It's much like a tuned R-7, and just as accurate. RC

This message has been edited by RC1947 on Dec 3, 2017 9:26 PM

Respond to this message   
TIM Ward
(Login lefteyeshot)
YF12

634, POOR MAN'S 124

December 3 2017, 11:22 PM 

It's got a good trigger without a mod.

Respond to this message   
PAQUETE MICHAEL
(Login mikerws)
YF12

well I ordered one today from buds....

December 4 2017, 11:11 AM 

I had a $250 refund from the guanlet so they took $107 out of the refund for the cz 634...I'm just looking for a 25-30yd gun to fill a gap and have a one springer . That's a $107 shipped so stay tuned on this .

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Had a "duh" moment...

December 4 2017, 5:45 PM 

...looking at the trigger...it kind of explains the deep stock at the trigger guard....it's a simple trigger, but it's a LONG trigger, pivoted near the top, so a whole lot of leverage.

I do wish someone still imported the wood stocked versions into the US...but obviously, if there was enough of a market to make a profit, someone would.

It's the best of the basic airguns....beefy parts, rather under stressed, a good CZ barrel, and (evidently) excellent accuracy at a reasonable energy.

Seriously....less than $100....and it can (at least the one I posted) shoot to .3"?

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.