<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Inside TX200 and LGU comparison

December 4 2017 at 11:54 AM
Jerry  (Login glr59)
YF

So I have a full power LGU. Purchased from a USA dealer. The gun shoots very nicely. Smooth and no twang. Running AA 8.4gr at 885 FPS. Too fast for me. I want sub 12ftlbs. Ordered a Walther 12ftlb kit and wanted to show a comparison before putting it all together. I have a feeling after installing the kit it still is going to be running too hot. But we will see.

In the picture you will see the OEM set up as it came. The OEM spring is 34 coils with .129 wire.. The 12ftlb kit is also 34 coils and .129 wire but much shorter. This is why I'm pretty sure its still going to be too hot.

Below is a new piston. The kit came with this piston, which you can see is identical in size and length. The OEM full power piston is 254 gram and the new piston is 252grams. I would consider that the same since I didn't wipe off the grease on the original yet.

Below that I have a TX200 MKI piston for comparison. It's shorter and weighs 240grams. I'm guessing it weighs slightly less then that with a traditional piston seal vs the o-ring seal it is sporting at the moment.

The transfer port diameter of the Walther measured by my cheap calibers is 3mm. I add that info since I've read there may be different sizes.

My first impressions are that everything is made very well. The only thing that is out of place as far as finishing goes is the latching area of the piston rod. I've already polished the end of the new piston and will do the same on the original before putting it back together. This area seems completely unfinished. Scaly and rough. I have no idea how or why they would leave the latching area like this.

So a little comparison that some may find interesting

Just for giggles I may see if the LGU piston fits in the TX200. They both are 25mm. Just to see what the extra weight does.

Jerry L.

https://imgur.com/qlGApaj
"Grasshopper" Student of the game.....

This message has been edited by glr59 on Dec 4, 2017 1:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jerry
(Login glr59)
YF

As expected....

December 4 2017, 1:56 PM 

the Walther 12ftlb kit is producing too much energy. AA 8.4's are coming out at 812 FPS. For now I will shoot it for awhile and see where it settles. The shot cycle is very smooth and buzz free at this point.

Jerry

Respond to this message   
Brazos
(Login Brazos2)
YF12

Let the spring break in

December 4 2017, 10:15 PM 

You are right on the cusp of 12fpe with a new spring. Being a little over is a good thing. Just shoot it some and it will wind up where you want it for the long haul.

Respond to this message   
Larry Pirrone
(Login RISKDR72)
YF12

I have some experience with this

December 4 2017, 2:00 PM 

If you want to get it down to sub 12 fpe I suggest you get a Macarri .125 wire 31 coil TX spring and take off two coils and close the tag coil and grind and polish the end to square it up. It will start at right about 12 fpe and settle to about 11.5. the Mac spring will be tighter on the guides and there will be no twang. When you buy the spring have him set it for you. DON"T buy the .120 wire TX spring. It is too week for the LGU which has a shorter stroke than a TX MKIII. I opened my transfer port to 3.5MM. You MIGHT get piston bounce with the 3.0 MM.

The cocking lever is a weak point. It has a joint that is riveted. The forward two rivets will eventually get loose and you will see sag in the front section of the cocking lever. This will not be seen when the lever is nested on the front latch ball but it will effect breach lock up. I made a new latch at the rear that engages the curved area where the rivents are. This eliminates the front latch all together so the barrel is no longer tensioned by the cocking lever. ON a new gun it will not sag but will later. BTW. I used rare earth magnets for the "latch". It sounds sketchy I know but it works like a charm. I have not set my self up t o post pics here but they are posted on the Walther LGU face book page. Join the group and look it up. By the way, the accuracy with this set up is superb at the 11.5 fpe level using AA 7.87.

If you use the new LGU spring and it makes too much power you can take coils off but may end up without enough pre load to avoid piston bounce. Small wire and longer spring seem to work better, at least for me.

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login glr59)
YF

Thanks Larry...

December 4 2017, 3:29 PM 

The springer thing is such an adventure. On a side note......About 3/4's into the 2017 season I was prepared to throw all my springers in a dumpster. Just fed up with my scores going down. Shot my TM1000 the last few matches and enjoyed myself. Now I have the springers calling my name again. I don't take defeat very well. So onto a winters worth of experimenting again.

Jerry

Respond to this message   
Larry Pirrone
(Login RISKDR72)
YF12

I just ordered a bunch of seals

December 4 2017, 4:15 PM 

to do a complete re-seal of my TM 1000. We have two matches a month at CASA and I decided to do one of them PCP. All pratice will be with the LGU since it demands the most perfection of execution.

Respond to this message   
K
(Login Knobs)
YC

You might try swapping rear guides

December 4 2017, 5:02 PM 

If the alternate is tighter, you'll drop some velocity. I had to turn a couple thou off the rear guide to get the OEM 12 FPE spring up to 11 fpe.

K

Respond to this message   
Larry Pirrone
(Login RISKDR72)
YF12

true

December 4 2017, 7:14 PM 

the seals are tight too. I gained 30 fps with a looser seal from Tony Leach in UK.

Respond to this message   

Skip in WV
(Login SkipinWV)
YF12

An article in Airgun World

December 5 2017, 10:54 AM 

Suggested cocking it and put it in a closet for 6 weeks. Tough on the nerves though. Patience grasshopper. Or, just shoot it More, more, more.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.