<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

DAQ .308 ammo... Solved!

December 7 2017 at 7:06 PM

Rob in NC  (Login rob3dr)
AR&P

Thanks to a kind gentleman from the forum who sent me some of his bullets to try out.

I've had this gun for several years now and aside from a short time when some smaller bullets worked when the gun was detuned a bit, I've not found anything that would really give me less than 2 inches at 50 yards. After I ran out of those particular bullets, I put the full power spring back in and the gun has sat for the most part.

I'd posted about recommendations and the bullets this fellow sent were the ticket. He casts his own from an RCBS .30 mold. I managed 1 inch 5 shots at 43 yards.

Seems I'm going to be casting my own now!

Thanks to the fellow who sent the bullets along my way!

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Slingarian
(Login Slingarian)
YF12

Your welcome...... nt

December 7 2017, 8:08 PM 

Respond to this message   

Rob in NC
(Login rob3dr)
AR&P

Wasnt going to name names...ha

December 7 2017, 8:16 PM 

But yes, sir... Thank you very much!! Really excited given the results and looking forward to dusting off that .308 now and doing some long range shooting with it!

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

Respond to this message   
Slingarian
(Login Slingarian)
YF12

No worries bud,

December 7 2017, 9:32 PM 

I'm glad you'll get to start tweaking your DAQ to the fine accuracy its capable of. Lots of fun in your immediate future. Enjoy it!

Rick..

Respond to this message   
Evan Rubins
(Login erfish)
YC

more info on 30 cal ammo

December 8 2017, 9:28 PM 

Hello Rob,
Could you give some info on the ammo, like style, weight, etc?
Maybe they'd give good results in my DAQ 308

Thanks,
Evan from NC

Respond to this message   
Frank C.
(Login bandmiller2)
YF

RCBS

December 9 2017, 6:30 AM 

That's good news Rob. Please tell us the model of the RCBS mold as they make many, What size, and are they soft lead. Thanks

Respond to this message   
Slingarian
(Login Slingarian)
YF12

I'm the one who sent the bullets to Rob...

December 9 2017, 6:07 PM 

They are cast using pure dead soft lead (recycled pellets actually) using an RCBS 2 cavity 115gr design. The bullet is designed to be cast using harder alloys and to be sized, lubed and gas checked. I use it in that fashion to cast for my .30M1 powder burners.

However using the same mold, and pure lead I've found they are the favorite ammo for my DAQ .308 I always cast from soft lead, and tried sizing and lubing at first, but after lengthy experimentation found that my DAQ loves them best as they fall from the mold, ie no sizing, lubing or gas checking.

Here is a link to the mold as listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=076683820099&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A076683820099

and here is the same mold as its listed at MidwayUSA.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/131296/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-30-115-sp-30-caliber-309-diameter-115-grain-semi-point-gas-check

I'm sure it can be found at many other sellers, but that is the specific mold I use.

Best of luck

This message has been edited by Slingarian on Dec 9, 2017 6:09 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.