<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

well today I took my scope level off....

January 6 2018 at 9:05 AM
PAQUETE MICHAEL  (Login mikerws)
YF12

Because I have been paying way to much attention to the level rather than just shooting my airgun. I had all my airguns with bubble levels on the side of each scope which work good but also distract me from zooming in the scope . Today the level came off my cz 634 but I will leave the brocock and condor ss levels for now ....anyone else have this issue?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jeff D
(Login jcdx25)
YC

Honestly... never even look at my levels. So while not the same starting point...

January 6 2018, 10:35 AM 

I can't offer a reason to leave one on.
We all have our shooting preferences...

Respond to this message   
Jason
(Login nervoustrigger)
YF12

I only use mine when...

January 6 2018, 10:57 AM 

...taking long shots where pellet drop mixed with cant introduces significant error, or when on bewildering terrain where getting a good judgement of level is difficult.

I found that using one more frequently at first has helped me get better at holding a rifle plumb in the first place.

Respond to this message   
Longbow
(Login Longbow29)
YF12

Impractical in air rifle application imo

January 6 2018, 11:04 AM 

Useful air rifle range being inside 100 yds and all. Unless specifically applied to control some gross design flaw in the rifle/optic system or interface. Especially with a low power springer. Smart move on your part imo. I have shot many sub mow groups at textened ranges with centerfires w/o levels

Respond to this message   
Jason
(Login nervoustrigger)
YF12

Useful on an air rifle at 100 yards

January 6 2018, 11:30 AM 

for the same reason it’s useful on a centerfire at 500 yards. It’s related to the amount of drop and the angle of cant, relating to the holdover point on the reticle the projectile is expected to intersect.

Respond to this message   
Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

Nope

January 6 2018, 11:09 AM 

It's a tool and I use it. Archery is the same, I have levels in all my scopes, I believe they help with consistency and I use them.

-Scot

Respond to this message   
PAQUETE MICHAEL
(Login mikerws)
YF12

Scott, I'm sure they are great but when I'm pesting...

January 6 2018, 12:46 PM 

I really shouldn't look at that bubble level and it seems I'm wasting time trying to look. I think it just human nature but at 20-90 yards it's no help. I will say it makes my scopes look more technical/tatical happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

No argument from me

January 11 2018, 10:42 AM 

It either works for you or it doesn't.

-Scot

Respond to this message   
Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

Duplicate

January 11 2018, 10:42 AM 

This message has been edited by ish00ttrap on Jan 12, 2018 2:34 AM

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

I always use levels

January 6 2018, 3:05 PM 

I never realized how crooked I was shouldering my guns until I started using levels. Maybe I have a lopsided eye or a lopsided brain, but for some reason anytime I look through the scope of a rig properly set up the reticle appears canted significantly left. My instinct is then to twist the gun right until the sight picture looks correct which, of course, it no longer is. Using levels on my guns stop me from doing that and have significantly increased my number of hits on tiny and/or moderate to long range targets.

Respond to this message   
PAQUETE MICHAEL
(Login mikerws)
YF12

Chris , are you right handed and left eye dominant?....

January 6 2018, 3:11 PM 

I am and that's how I started with these levels but as time went on I feel I keep looking at these levels way to much.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login Houlihan54)
YF12

There is another way to help prevent canting without a level michael

January 6 2018, 4:19 PM 

And it's a way without using a bubble level. If you have a properly soped rifle you can use the bottom of the vertical cross hair to intersect the middle of the breech of the stock with a simple glance, much easier than looking at a bubble mounted to the scope regardless of where it's mounted. The eye has A natural ability to center things. A perfect scope in my books would be a mid to high quality optics with a bubble level located inside and at the bottom of the ocular lenses for shooting at long distances thus eliminating Th e need of taking eye off reticle. Problem is I have never seen my dream scope, but one day, fingers crossed.

Just this morning was using this method on a .20 R9 shooting pellet tins at 132 yards with great results. I also find this method works exceptionally well when shooting from a steep side hill incline when it's easy to loose perspective of the cross hair to the terrain.

I hope I have made sense of my ramblings. Cheers

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

Mike, make that dream a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR, side focus with a level in the bottom

January 6 2018, 8:02 PM 

Now that's a scope I would have to buy. happy.gif

Thanks for your advice.

ChrisK

Respond to this message   
benj397
(Login benj397)
YF12

Do you mean a scope like this....

January 8 2018, 10:14 PM 

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

Nope, righty-righty. If.....

January 6 2018, 8:17 PM 

....I put the rifle in a rest and get back behind it and look I can see the rifle is level and so are the cross hairs. But mount the gun and roll my cheek over on the stock and those cross hairs look crooked, causing me to tilt the gun the other way in an effort to make them appear level. It wasn't until I started using levels that I was even aware of this (for me) issue. Oddly, this isn't an issue when I hunt water fowl or shoot trap or skeet (both of which I am very good at).

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login The_Long_Shot)
YF12

A level mounted behind and "under" your scope is the place to have it.

January 7 2018, 11:31 AM 

My scope mount sucks! I see why you removed it. I'm going to change mine.
I have another gun with a level from a cheap plastic torpedo level.
Just glued the small size to the cheek piece, (Cricket) but straight under the scope.
Works so much better. Easy to reference with a slight glance down.
The large bubble and location makes it easy for old eyes to see clearly.
Got to have my level..........

Respond to this message   
Doug T
(Login Doug-T)
YF

I use levels when shooting about 70 yards +. A quick glance is all.

January 9 2018, 1:45 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.