<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Attempting a ProChrono Digital Repair?

January 30 2018 at 12:53 PM
JB in FL  (Login ircaver)
YC

Has anyone attempted taking one of these apart before? The data jack has come loose from the circuit board. I can transmit shot string data via the USB connection to my laptop/PC only if I apply slight pressure on the jack but what a royal P.I.T.A. I noticed in the battery compartment, a single Philips head screw. Is this the main point to separate the two halves or is there anything else I should look for? I'm a wiz with a soldering iron and circuit boards. The repair seems to be an easy fix.

I considered doing an RMA return to Competition Electronics, but the turnaround time and cost is unacceptable.

I hope someone can give me some advice before I try the repair solo and learn the hard way.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

Yes

January 30 2018, 10:11 PM 

It is a snap fit after you get that screw out (pry carefully with a small flathead near the corners). I will have to open a different computer to find pics but I have some, and may have posted earlier. Take a pic as soon as you open it to see the board and ribbon cable layout.

That said, their factory service was excellent and both cost and turnaround time were under the website estimates. There was also a very helpful tech guy available by phone,surprisingly directly. I got the impression they didn't see service as a profit center and would help you by phone if they could.

Finding those photos will be more difficult than I thought, but they exist. I don't think they were ever on PB anyway. I will post if I can find.

This message has been edited by daveshoot on Jan 30, 2018 10:17 PM

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

I put them on AirgunWarrior for you

January 30 2018, 10:52 PM 

Found and posted (with waaay less hassle) so see if you can go to the new site to view the guts.

https://airgunwarriors.com/forums/topic/pro-chrono-digital-innards-for-jb/

Respond to this message   
JB in FL
(Login ircaver)
YC

Very Helpful...

January 31 2018, 12:32 PM 

To see where the case snaps are for a hassle free separation. I'll be doing the soldering repair today. Seeing that the female phone jack is only held in place by the solder points, I feel the need to create a more stable mount to secure it firmly to the circuit board. Thanks again for your help Dave.

Respond to this message   

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

Yep, thought I was going to break it a couple of times

January 31 2018, 11:03 PM 

... especially if you don't know where the snaps are. Always easier in than out. I had left mine out in a monsoon and it was a bloody mess. All good now, best to you.

Respond to this message   
JB in FL
(Login ircaver)
YC

My Case Was Glued Together...

February 1 2018, 3:18 PM 

At the snap points and proved difficult to proceed. I used Popsicle sticks and wood shims after I got the rear of the case opened, I worked my way down the side where the power switch and data port was located. It opened up like a clam shell and though the lenses for the sensor eyes fell out, the're easy to reinstall. Once I got going on it, it took only around ten minutes to separate the case halves. Inspecting the circuit boards, I found the data jack was poorly installed and failed due to a poor installation. One of the positive pins was bent in a "Z" shape which caused metal fatigue. Every time I plugged or unplugged the data jack, it put stress on the pin, causing it to break. Re-soldering was was a bit tricky, as I had to do it in place. I reinforced the data jack to the circuit board with some JB Weld. A very successful repair! Everything works fine now.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Airgun Calculators    Num of fills calc    Capacity Calc

******** Kalibrgun High quality, superb Accuracy, outstanding Value. ********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.