<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman 147 Leaking, Repair Question

December 1 2000 at 9:57 AM
  (no login)

I have a Crosman 147 that leaks air whenever it is pumped up. If after pumping several pumps you listen at the end of the barrel you can hear the air leaking. Having never worked on an airgun before, is it something I would be able to handle or is it much too difficult? I am handy with tools, I just never applied my skills to airguns. What parts would I probably need, I'll call Precision Pellet for them.

Thanks for any comments/words of advice/warnings/help.

-jon-

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Your in luck...

December 1 2000, 1:51 PM 

The 14x guns are very easy to work on. The toughest part is driving out the roll pin in the pump arm. You'll need to use a 3/8 or 1/2" dowel to drive out the valve also. You don't have to rebuild the whole thing. I've got two that I didn't replace the pump cups on becuase the didn't really need it. I sounds like what needs replacement here is the "quad seal".

I've gotten my rebuild kits from Precision Pellet though I sure others have them also. It wouldn't hurt to get a copy of DT Fletchers Crosman 140/1400 book (this has factory service info in it). Good luck...

HTH - Steve B.

Respond to this message   

(Login chasm)
YC

147 Repair

December 1 2000, 5:25 PM 

jon,

I have a couple of 140 series Crosmans, one of which I bought in 1954. As already mentioned, they are pretty easy to work on. I had my first one apart and back together while still a kid. Before you tear yours apart, my advice is try putting some Crosman Pellgun oil into the pump cup area and pump and fire the gun a bunch. This has worked well for me, and may save you the trouble of the alternative. HTH

chasm

Respond to this message   

(Login chasm)
YC

Update On Pumps, II

December 1 2000, 9:28 PM 

jon,

Your post also prompted me to check out my pump air rifles. I typically store these air rifles with two pumps and uncocked (those with springs). Tonight I visited the five that I could easily get to, a Crosman 120, two Crosman 140's, a B-S 397, and an old rocker safety Sheridan Blue Streak. After months of non-attention, all still had a charge in it. Try the Pellgun oil, that's all I've ever done to mine. HTH

chasm

Respond to this message   

(Login johnooh)
YF

CR147 leak

December 2 2000, 1:35 AM 

jon,
steve & chasm have given sound advice. most likely it is the quad seal(the cap to the exhaust valve). steve's right about that spring pin holding the pump arm, they can be a bear to drive out. Some of the valve parts are interchangable with early CR760's(1966 to 1976 self cocking). word of advice, sounds like you haven't done much of this. use the correct size screwdrivers(gunsmith drivers are best, they fill the slot) to prevent damaging screws you will need again. Dean's book has it all, diagrams, rebuild procedures and factory notes. I 've got a late model J.C. Higgins (same as a 140) really cool gun.HTH
safe shootin
john

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Crosman 147 Leaking, Repair Question
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.