<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hw35L

December 17 2000 at 12:39 PM
Anonymous  (no login)

I saw this gun at Pyramyd Air,its got a thumbhole stock and its called HW35L.Is this a good sporter
rifle and does anyone have one.It says .177cal at 790 fps,this gun looks sweat!Any info would be great.Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

it's on my list of guns yet to be aquired

December 17 2000, 12:41 PM 

especially since there is no 35 in my collection. Somehow I've always managed to overlook this gun, yet its a good classic breakbarrel. RB

Respond to this message   

(no login)

HW 35--timeless classic

December 17 2000, 1:26 PM 

The following crud was written awhile back and probably has more trivia than you want to know! I had it stashed away on the hard drive. I have had 2 35's, my current one is a beautiful HW 35 L from the 70's. It's one of my alltime favorites, though I have to say I like the more tradional stock styles better than the thumbhole buttstock (or "butthole thumbstock", as one wag put it!). Well, here's the junk:

The HW35 was Weihrauch's first "magnum" sporter. It was introduced in the early 50's and is still being made
today. Beeman dropped it after the Weihrauch-made R1 was introduced, but the 35 recently returned to the
US market courtesy of Pyramyd Arms. Never that popular in the US, it was the most revered sporter in
England until the field target craze, and the advent of Weihrauch's own HW77 there in the early '80's.

Its main features are a large receiver (same diameter as the R1, though not as long), double-jointed cocking link
(like the R7, makes for a short slot and only one front attachment screw under the stock forend), and a
manually-operated sliding barrel lock on the left side of the breech block. Compared to more modern designs
the piston travel is rather short, which keeps power in the 10 to 12 foot-pound range in spite of the pistonís
large diameter.

There were many variations of the gun over the years, and HW has been known to switch around designations as various versions go in and out of production, which can create some confusion. The most familiar late European versions were the
"Standard" with plain beech stock and 19" barrel, and the "Export" with nice walnut woodwork and whopping
22" barrel. The "HW35EB" sold by Beeman until the late '80's combined the nicer stock and shorter barrel. The
HW35L variant had two iterations, older guns have a beautiful traditional Bayern-style stock with hexagonal
cheekpiece, forend side grooves, and a rounded pistol grip; newer ones have an Americanized Monte Carlo
comb and curving cheekpiece, both versions in walnut. Interesting variants seen more recently in Europe
include a short 16" carbine barrel, a thumbhole stock, and green-tinted laminated "hunter" woodwork.

The HW35E stock design is worthy of special mention. It has the slightly bowed "hogsback" comb that is
popular in Europe (think of it as a Monte Carlo without the notch behind the cheekpiece). The pistol grip is
checkered nicely. The forend is slender--effectively masking the considerable bulk of that receiver--but deep,
round on the bottom, and has a long groove down each side instead of checkering. The handling and balance
are excellent and make the gun seem lighter than it really is.

I had a rather unique '35 that was made up for me by a shop in the UK. It had the Export stock and a special
16" carbine barrel, and was tuned by Venom Arms. The wood was quite pretty and the gun chrono'd well over
800 fps with Wasps. While perhaps an interesting tidbit for a collector, I really don't recommend either the
short barrel or the high-power tune job. The 19" tube balances better and my gun was rather harsh to fire;
handling and smoothness, not maximized fps, are what the HW35 should be about.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Nice info!

December 17 2000, 2:14 PM 

I realy learnd alot,sounds like a nice rifle.Is the HW35L with thumbhole worth $395?

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Well...it depends

December 17 2000, 10:17 PM 

On what you want to do with it, and your personal tastes. As I guess you can tell from my previous post, I like the 35 a lot, and it is a quality gun, a sweet shooter, very accurate, and enough power for many uses. If the looks turn you on, go for it.

But there are a lot of quality guns that are less expensive, too. If you are a newcomer to the sport, you might want to mark the 35 on your "definite possibility" list, and keep looking around.

Don't neglect used guns, either. For the same 400 bucks you could get both a nice hunter, and a nice lighter gun like an R7, or a lot of other things.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Thanks i may get a r9

December 18 2000, 12:59 AM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Hw35L
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traj Plot by RC    Airgun Calculators    number of fills Calc    cc gun volumes    Add your Pic

******** Buy 3rd/4th gen FX Pumps for Superior quality and unbeatable 5 year factory Warranty.********

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.