For when it HAS to sell...
Include your email address, price, Caliber, make and model.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Your INPUT on preventing SCAMMERS

May 2 2017 at 4:00 PM

Forum Owner  (Premier Login q1q)
BOI

Even though the vast majority of the transactions on these classifieds go smooth, the occasional scammer manages to get through and steal people's money.

Please reply to this thread with your ideas or idea of how it could be made very difficult for a scammer to do business here.

Make your idea very clear. Those who think an idea won't work, reply to that post on how it could be defied.

Bring your best ideas forward. Let's hear it and let's shoot for zero goal.

This message has been edited by q1q on May 2, 2017 4:00 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jodie
(Login hussn32)
YF12

Ideas

May 2 2017, 9:00 PM 

Have a list of the members with their email and or phone numbers.alot of the scammers say they are members on here,but use their email address. For example mine is Jodie and my email is hussn32@gmail.com. a scammer will say they are Jodie but use a different email
If we had a way of checking all of the real members information, that would help alot.

Respond to this message   

Andy H.
(Login AndyH44)
BOI

Jodie- A list like that could be pirated in a heartbeat and sold to scammers.

May 3 2017, 10:17 AM 

Unfortunately, there is no totally effective way to protect or ensure your I.D.
Sure hope others chime in with good ideas!

Respond to this message   
Shareef
(Login Beeman22)
YF12

One key issue is confirming who a poster REALLY is

May 3 2017, 10:36 AM 

Similar to what the previous poster wrote, one issue is anyone can post something and say "I'm on the BOI as [name of very well-regarded member] and there isn't a good way to confirm they really are that person. One way to reduce that risk is by referencing a YF username in BOI comments, rather than a person's name. So if you see a WTS posting from me (Beeman22) and you see lots of positive feedback on the BOI for Beeman22, at least you know that the person who put up the posting is the same person who's gotten the positive feedback, and not some scammer trying to use my good name.

Respond to this message   
Laszlo Peter
(Login lacipeter8)
YF

Re: Your INPUT on preventing SCAMMERS

May 3 2017, 4:52 PM 

Deal face to face on Skype, or any videophone. In this case we can see who we dealing with, and the real item for sale int their hand, not just a stolen picture...

Respond to this message   

Paul in NC
(Login shadowshot)
YF12

July 29 2017, 9:00 PM 

Great Idea if the other party is willing or can.

Respond to this message   
Tom Mace
(Login TOMMACE)
YF12

Stop Scammers

May 3 2017, 5:51 PM 

Hi Steve I don't think we can stop scammers as long there are people out there that think someone is going to give them a large amount of money to help them out. I had a scammer tell me that They were going to give me $ 36 million and change to give to the poor people hear in the good old USA. They just wanted to hand this money out to poor people and keep a large amount for my self to live happy the rest of my life knowing that I did this and helped a lot of poor people to a better life. I am still looking for the first check I didn't have the $3500 to start all of the paper work to send me a large amount of money. It never happened!!!! My sons mother in law got mad at my son because he would not loan her a large sum of money to send out of the country to this man (out of this country to help her boy friend out. It is not known how much money she sent him over the last year. This woman is a RN with a very good collage education. In the last 3 weeks I have had 3 scammers try to buy a cheep springer with the old my helper sent too much money pleaser take what is owed you and send me the rest I know I can trust you. Well Steve I have 4 checks on the wall. I told the last two that if they would send me $25.00 cash I would send back the checks back to them. THANKS STEVE Tom Mace

Respond to this message   
Blaine
(Login mrblaine)
YF12

Re: Your INPUT on preventing SCAMMERS

May 3 2017, 11:10 PM 

The first scam I would like to see stopped is bilking PayPal out of their fees and thus negating the buyer protections. I'm actually surprised PayPal hasn't stepped in and done something. I'm fortunate that I did not bypass that protection on a sale that went sideways and thankfully when I returned the item not as described I was able to get a full refund even though the process was a bit more painful that I would have liked.

Friends and Family transfers are just that, and are not now nor were ever intended for purchases which is why the ship to address is not automatically delivered in the transaction notes.

As for the rest, I don't think there is a 100% way to stop a scammer. If you ask for a picture that is current with something dated and you get it, there is no guarantee that the item will ship after they get your money.

The only mostly surefire way I can think of would be for someone to set up an escrow type service. You post the item, someone agrees to make the purchase. Both the item and the funds go to the escrow party who delivers each item to the rightful party after they have received both. Even then, they (escrow service) may not know that a .22 Marauder is not a Daystate Air Ranger that was posted for sale. And, I wouldn't do that for free so there has to be a fee involved and likely extra shipping.

Good luck and I truly hope something of value comes from this. I despise the scammers who have gotten to us in our online business so I'll be watching this with high interest.

Respond to this message   

Abrackeen
(Login Abrackeen)
YF12

Preventing scammers

May 4 2017, 8:20 AM 

I would like to be able to click a user name and see the email address linked to the account. I believe it's already an option through the forum host. If the email address doesn't match who they say they are I don't do business. If it was easily checked it would help save some sanity.

Respond to this message   

Paul in NC
(Login shadowshot)
YF12

That would help

July 29 2017, 9:04 PM 

Plus one this idea

Respond to this message   

Dennis
(Login kawaboy-zx11)
YF

scammers

May 4 2017, 9:57 PM 

could make it so we have private messages.. like most forums. then only members can contact each other. the rules in the classifieds state that we have to put our email addy in the add. all the scammers that contact me on my WTB adds email me directly and they get my email addy from my listings.

Respond to this message   

Rob in NC
(Login rob3dr)
AR&P

The Weakest Link

May 5 2017, 9:49 PM 

in any security schema is the end user. While admirable, it's unrealistic to think that you can protect the masses from scams. Over bearing security in any computerized system only stifles the many for the benefit of the few who do not take simple precautions to not be scammed. There is a point to which an enterprise becomes so secure it is no longer usable...

You provide a service by allowing sales here. It is up to the buyer/seller to protect themselves. I'm afraid that regardless of what we come up with, there will be attempts made and they will catch those who are not diligent in preventing it on their own. It's the world we live in.

Good judgment comes from experience; experience usually comes from bad judgment.

Respond to this message   
Zach Allen
(Login sonargodz)
YF12

Friends and Family Payments

May 6 2017, 10:57 AM 

Scammers know you have no recourse with PayPal if you use friends and family to pay for something. Offer to pay the fees for them, and if they refuse, then you are probably dealing with a scammer.

Respond to this message   
Ronnie Easton Match Director in Sacramento
(Login Thumpman1)
YF

good one.

May 9 2017, 5:15 PM 

the idea is not to eliminate but to reduce the amount of scamming. i personally agree with those that have said it's nearly impossible to keep 100 percent of the scammers out 100 percent of the time.

i also like the email showing on the user name account as mentioned above. if its already feasible to do so per network 54, then that might be a viable option.

R
Ronnie E
NCAGC.com
Wheelscroller@gmail.com.

Respond to this message   
Tommy
(Login shambozzie)
YF12

All login to yellow MUST have email. If you are so bent out of shape........

May 15 2017, 11:54 AM 

About your email privacy perhaps you don't deserve to be on yellow. This way you could at least verfie email.

Respond to this message   
Nate M
(Login ednn-sports)
YF12

How to not get ripped off on a Trade

May 25 2017, 6:33 AM 

I hear a lot about trades going bad. The only way to trade is to have each party create an invoice for goods on PayPal and send it to the other person. This give you full purchase protection should someone send you an empty box. PayPal will give your money back. Have each party pay for the item...send them off..and now you have a trade that no one can scam.

An invoice is different from a money request. Good luck!

Respond to this message   

FANG (LOBOWHITEFANG)🎯
(Login LOBOWHITEFANG)
YF12

Scum scamming

May 31 2017, 11:02 AM 

Not sure you Will ever rid is if this problem.

PP is a great protection along with a CC linked as paymeny. Gifts and friends is as mentioned no leg to stand by. Plus not everyone uses PP.

USPS MO has no protection. Hard enough to deal with the USPS on insurance claims.

One thing that may help is to deal on the classified section on the transaction to start the buy. Turn the IP address on for that section. But IP can be beaten. I use the phone number vs the IP location check. Goggle seach on the posted pictures of items.That does not aways work either.

Worse is the scam buyers. Cashiers check and $50. Now you have giving you mailing address and more info. Plus the irretation of sending photos and thinking your item is sold.

Many great people in this hobby that work hard for their money. Many in the hobby that do not have the money to buy what they buy. Buy and sell to move out 1 gun for another.

We have been hit with the Flow over from the American Classifies in a way.

We open our email addresses for a spam attack even more buy selling open on the net. No sure fired shield these days. JMO

THE serial and item with a today's paper is not full proof as mentioned. How many people have a today's paper and then again with so many edit programs on photos that too can be faked.

As in cell phones and Rob dialing, I block and they just roll.over another number. Some times the number does not exist. Block emails, block ip and then again they come back with different ip. They change 1 letter or # in the email address and falsely appear as old Joe blow or blown.

We can block all day. All I can say is buyer beware and seller also.

Good luck!!💀

FANG
JUNKYARD AIRGUN'S

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

If you are not 100% sure of who you are buying or selling to, I personally

June 14 2017, 5:48 PM 

Tell the newbie that item must be sent first for inspection. I've been here going on 12 years & never ripped anyone off but got nailed by Tony Nakagawa. Now that was almost impossible to avoid. I had an unknown, Chen, send me a perfect Bushnell 4200. It arrived, all was good, I paid him and started his positive BOI. Some fellas English maybe bad, and scare some off. Chen read my BOI and made the right choice. I either but new, or from guys that are well known, trusted, and when they say "it can shoot well" I know they aren't kidding. The middle man courier service is about as fool proof a way as I know if you MUST deal with an unknown. I just saw 3 people jump on a $750.00 Rapid from someone I personally don't recognize. If it sounds too good to be true, I recommend a Courier trusted middle man, or a payment that's fully insured.

Respond to this message   
Cliff Williams
(Login cswilliams1963)
YF12

This would be a huge undertaking, but,

June 23 2017, 5:01 PM 

if everyone were assigned "PIN" numbers via their email and those numbers used in dealing with each other??? No PIN to use? Then stop the deal then and there.

Respond to this message   

ray1377
(Login ray1377)
AR&P

This idea may not be much good for

June 23 2017, 5:34 PM 

curtailing scammers but is there anyway to make it mandatory that you "HAVE TO" post a picture of your particular item with your ad in the classifieds?
It seems that in the last few months there seems to be tons of ads without any pictures.
And it would be really nice if they would also put the asking price in the title.

Something like:
FS-MROD with scope and bipod--$450

Just a thought.
It would sure make surfing the classifieds alot smoother and faster.
Thanks
Ray

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

BKL MOUNTS - SECOND TO NONE.

James Kitching Memorial Page

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from buying or selling products posted on this page, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who sold and the person who bought posted items.JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.