<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"The Saint" Churchill Tank

December 7 2002 at 9:36 PM
Bob Alliston  (no login)
from IP address 80.1.23.100

Just found your site and am hoping someone can help.

I am trying to locate a picture of my late Grandfathers tank, which was used in North Africa.

My Mother seems to think she has seen his distinctive tank which has the picture of a stick man complete with halo ("The Saint") on the side, in either newsreel or photographs.

Any help would be greatly received

Kind Regards

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chris Shillito
(no login)

"The Saint"

January 4 2003, 5:09 PM 

Bob,

I haven't come across a Churchill named 'The Saint' but am almost certain I've seen a photo of a Sherman so named and caryingthe the stick man logo.

I'm trawling through my reference books but all I've come up with so far is an illustration in Tanks of World War II by Chris Ellis (ISBN 1-85152-725-7)of a Sherman M4A2 with the stick man on the side. I suspect this illustration is derived from a photo as the associated caption goe into some details saying that it took part in the Anzio landings and belonged to a Canadian regiment (wd number given is T224550 - and the illustration shows it being a member of B squadron).

Do any of these details make any sense? Are you sure your grandfather served in a Churchill in North Africa? This would imply he served with either: North Irish Horse, 51 RTR, 142 RAC, 12 RTR, 48 RTR or 145 RAC. Any extra details you can supply will be of great help.

If you happed to come across the photo please keep us informed.

Best regards,

Chris.

Respond to this message   
Chris Shillito
(no login)

Or....

January 4 2003, 5:55 PM 

In 1944 2 troop, B Squadron, 1RTR had a Cromwell named "The Saint" (T189539).

Respond to this message   
steve osfield
(no login)

The Saint

January 4 2003, 11:44 PM 

Hi Chris & Bob,

Sorry I can't give an actual ID of a Churchill, only that the Logo The Saint was probably a common motif during WW2 as I am fairly sure that the Leslie Chartteris stories were printed in rough copy for distrubution to the troops in NAAFI field packs. Additionally it's a fairly easy Logo to reproduce with out any artistic flair.

Happy New Year to all

Steve

Respond to this message   
me
(no login)

The Saint

December 5 2006, 11:38 AM 

The name and the logo referred to come from a series of novels about a character called 'The Saint' - later played on TV by Roger Moore

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement