<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Mk IV AVRE question

March 6 2003 at 12:46 PM
  (no login)
from IP address 204.19.14.93

In the register the Mk IV ARVE in Graye-sur Mer Normandy has an attachment on the back deck looking like a suspension roller and spring upside down. Apparently there is one on each side of the rear deck of this Arve. Could someone tell me the specifics of this ARVE and the purpose of that attachment? thanks James

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Spare bogie.

March 6 2003, 3:04 PM 

Hi Jim (or do you prefer James?),

Good to see you here,

You're absolutely right - what you see is a complete churchill bogie bolted on the rear. This is a correct configuration and not an accident of restoration. There are a number of D-Day photographs showing vehicles equipped in this way and I believe in this particular case the at least one of the bogies was still in place when it was unearthed.

The purpose was, I believe, simply as a spare, I guess for D-Day it was reckoned to be best prepared by having spares to hand particularly as they would inevitable be operating in minefields.

Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login ossie)

spares

March 7 2003, 9:33 PM 

squadron's carried the spare bogies in the event of mine damage..

I can not confirm if all the squadrons did this but I will ask about it. I think that they must have because I have found a AVRE with a nick name which means it was from another squadron besides 26. (26 did not use nick names.)

reason for this is that the loading list's for the AVRE,s on D Day was more than just Demolition stores( wades,petards,etc). they also carried Engineer tools to carry out tasks after the initial landings. i.e. clearing obstacles etc.

because they realized that they had or would not have any spares on or straight after D Day they decided to take some .
this is where the Spare Bogies came from. over and above this they carried things like fan belts ,coils, carburettors , items they felt were day to day repair items. but not all on the same tank a bit in each of that troops tanks.
if you look closely at the tanks on D Day you can see all the stores that they carried.

hope this helps

ossie

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Mk IV AVRE question
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement