<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Kampkook Stove - model #2522

March 14 2004 at 9:58 PM
SubieGal 

My better 1/2 just picked one of these up at a yard sale - now he's bent on finding out everything about it!

-can anyone tell us what year this model was produced?

-Or where we can find more information on this particular American Gas Machine Co product?

-Owners manual or text book perhaps?

There's very limited information floating about - any help is appreciated. See Photos below for reference.

Many thanks in advance.
Jamie

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dan Leeds

tough one

March 14 2004, 11:31 PM 

Hi Jamie first let me say that stove is in real nice shape. You are correct about information.The AGM company went bankrupt in 1939 and was acquired by the Gueen stove works which continued to make stoves under the KampKook name the company was then acquired by King Seely (Thermos Brand) and it is Believed they mite have continued making these stoves under both Thermos and KampKook as late as the 60's.I don't know how to date that stove unless you can trace the patent number. the US Patent office has an on line method for tracing patents.You can also look for any numbers stamped on the stove.Coleman dates are on the bottom of the tabs that hold the tank in place.They are also collectable .AGM has a lot of fans.They were at one time Coleman's biggest competitor. Dan

Chuck

Leaded Gasoline

March 15 2004, 12:09 AM 

Hello,
Well what more can you add after Dan's informative post. My only 2 cents is use caution with the leaded gas. Can you still buy that? Anyway leaded gas would surely give off harmful fumes in the way of lead. Other than that, it is a perfect example. I wonder if it used lead as a catalyst like in the old lead based car engines. Anyone have info on that?
Most of the one's on e-bay are rusty and unless you like the big 'suitcase' stoves are just a big giant restore project.

Chuck

Dan Leeds

Leaded gas

March 15 2004, 12:25 AM 

Chuck I think that sticker mite be a warning label about Leaded Gas. I know the WW2 stoves warned about cooking over the open flame without a pot. Sorry to hear you seem to frown on the suit case stoves.I am kinda fond of them myself. Dan

Chuck

Suitcase Stoves

March 15 2004, 12:34 AM 

Dan,
I like em'all But, I have to live with my space. Those big ones take up loads of space. I have two 413G's stacked on top of each other that were given to me. I have been waiting to use them. If they don't get used this summer I will be putting them on the trading post.

Chuck

Dan Leeds

Good news

March 15 2004, 1:07 AM 

Chuck that is good news! The 413 is a nice size stove especially for Squad cooking.It also handles the oven better. I have five with the biggest being the 426D three burner.I have just recently been leaning towards the Brass Beauty's.Your right they are hard to store.You can't put them on display.The funny thing was the AGM info.was fresh in my mind because I just finished researching the AGM 256A lamp.Dan

Ed Winskill

Kampkook and AGM

March 15 2004, 4:36 PM 

I never encountered these stoves, or AGM lanterns, til I started collecting, and even then have only seen the stoves in pictures. However, at an antique shop on the Oregon coast near our cabin, I went looking for brass stoves and saw a lot of AGM lanterns.
But when I was a kid, and since, the only big camp stoves and lanterns I ever saw were Colemans.
The market dominance of Coleman historically in the US is pretty amazing. But they are masters of rugged product at low price. Was in a local sporting goods store this weekend and saw their 533 (I think: single-burner dual fuel) for $39.95, and their basic suitcase goes for $59.95. Then they'll last forever.
And the fuel stays at $3.99 per gallon can (here, of course, not in the UK!). I've always thought they must keep this cheap to support their stove sales.

dan Leeds

AGM

March 15 2004, 5:28 PM 

Ed AGM was started by Hans Hanson in the late eighteen hundreds and was given credit for inventing the camping stove.AGM was Coleman's main competition until the strike of 1937.Fifty four strikers were arrested and that led to a riot.The company never recovered from it. The company filed for bankrupcy in 1940 but continued to produce products thru the war.They worked with Coleman Alladin and Akron to produce the Mil spec lantern used by the military thru the Vietnam War. If it hadn't been for that strike they might still be around. AGM made real strong lanterns very similar to Coleman. In those early days their was some cross licensing between the two. Dan

Ed Winskill

AGM and Coleman

March 15 2004, 6:08 PM 

This history is interesting, and the AGM laterns I saw in Oregon were interesting to someone raised on Colemans. Parallel evolution, so to speak.
The end of WWII kicked off a big car camping movement in the US, and as a baby-boomer I grew up with that. Coleman of course advertised heavily even as the war hadn't quite ended for use of its "foxhole" stoves as camping stoves.
That's another thing that has interested me. Since I became a collector, I've seen that Coleman made millions of the 530s, and they and their relatives are totally common on eBay. But I never saw one til I got here and started collecting.
To me, the Coleman suitcase and its variations will never be a collectors' item, though I have no difficulty seeing that many others feel differently. But I've never been without one, and never cease to admire its rugged, totally utilitarian design. That Kampkook pictured in this thread is the best-looking one I've seen.

Dan Leeds

Ouch

March 15 2004, 6:29 PM 

Ouch! I have five that I consider in my collection.Coleman Collectors would beg to differ. Dan

Ed Winskill

Chacun a son gout

March 15 2004, 7:23 PM 

Each to his own taste, as the French say. And as I say, I have no difficulty understanding the viewpoint of a Coleman collector.
Hard to think of collecting 40 suitcases though! Room is enough of a problem as it is...
But to me, it's hard to beat the appeal of the brass classics over the Coleman big stoves. (I have several Coleman Peak1 types myself.) The Swedes have always had an uncanny ability to combine function with beauty in their designs- of many products.
Without a doubt, on my part at least, the Coleman "wafer" silent burner is utterly superior to the traditional Swedish silent burner, which, all taken with all, is a very limited design, both as to outdoors functioning and proliferation of loose and loseable parts.
But the Peak-types, the Speedmasters, etc, have a good place in my collection.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement