NYT article on musicals for kids - interesting item

by Diner (no login)

In Friday's New York Times, there's an interesting article by reporter Robin Pogrebin about which Broadway musicals are suitable for kids, which she investigated by taking her own young kids to shows. But she also discusses her own history with Broadway, and part of it is Annie-related:

Musicals played a part in my husband’s family and mine. My parents had an extensive LP collection of show tunes, including exclamation-point classics like “Hello, Dolly!,” “Fiorello!” and “Oklahoma!” They regularly took my twin sister, Abigail, and me to productions at Equity Library Theater, a much-missed stage on West 103rd Street and Riverside Drive, of all places. They let us audition for the original cast of “Annie.” We sang the pop hit “Downtown” together — accompanied by our own choreography — and the director said he’d take one of us but not both, so we declined.

In 1981 Abigail made it into the original cast of Sondheim’s “Merrily We Roll Along” at just 16. (Unfortunately it closed after 16 performances.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/theater/21youn.html

Posted on Mar 23, 2008, 9:15 AM
from IP address 68.163.27.210

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast