sometimes depends on child's age

by holly (no login)

Part of the professional work for my 2 daughters is learning to advocate and not having mom always do it for them. If I think I should intervene, I speak to my daughters about it and offer to do so. If my older girl (now 13) says mom DON'T, I don't. My younger daughter (almost 11), it would be more negotiable. Now of course if there is a health & safety situation as you mentioned... but then we've either been careful enough or lucky enough to avoid that situation. Short of health & safety, my girls (esp. the older one) have the ethic of not being the complainer, and if it has to be done, doing their own complaining without getting mom involved. As far as the backstage thing, there are many backstages I've never seen. My boundary is typically at the stage door, not because I don't REALLY want to see, or go, or be part, or check out, etc., but BECAUSE IT IS THEIR SPACE.
I'm definitely not saying that what you've had to do at rehearsals or backstage is somehow not right.. but you asked how we all handle it & I bet each one of us has a different way, sometimes different for each kid.

Posted on Apr 9, 2008, 6:42 PM
from IP address 70.57.10.114

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast