Peter Howard, R.I.P.

by Diner (no login)

Peter Howard, who conducted the orchestra for the original Broadway production of ANNIE and wrote the brilliant dance arrangements, has died.

Here is a post written tonight (Saturday) on the All That Chat board by Joe Regan Jr.:

I learned this morning that Peter Howard, longtime Broadway music director (Barnum)/orchestrator/dance music arranger (Chicago), composer, vocal coach passed away yesterday after contacting pneumonia. For the past year and one half Peter was a resident at the Lillian Booth facility in Englewood, NJ, after he had suffered a stroke. I visited him several months ago with Steve Ross and although he was tired he was a sharp mentally as he ever was, and took great pleasure when Steve played his dance arrangements for "Hello Dolly" and "Chicago" among others. He was one of my first friends in New York, met him in 1956 when he was with Tallulah Bankhead in "Welcome Darlings" summer stock tour with Timothy Gray, Sheila Smith, Jim Kirkwood. He was a brilliant musician and a supportive friend to many. According to my information there will be no formal funeral service, his body was cremated, but a memorial service will be announced in the future. He had one of the longest sustaining careers on Broadway, starting out with a Paul Hartman revue when he was very young. Wonderfully he is given full credit for his dance arrangements on the movie of "Chicago". A generous man in a tough business and he will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him. Miss you and love you dearly, Peter, Rest In Peace.

http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=11893

Posted on Apr 19, 2008, 6:36 PM
from IP address 68.163.30.135

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast