Charles Strouse at the Performing Arts Library NYC today..

by Mark (no login)

Hi everyone,

Whilst Julie is seeing Annie on the West Coast today. I happened upon a program at the Performing Arts Library in NYC by Charles Strouse, himself, today.

I have never been able to make it to any of Julie's Annie related events here so I was so happy to finally have seen someone involved with the original run of Annie. Not to mention that I am such a fan or Bye Bye Birdie and his other work.

He is such a cutie! It was just him and a grand piano. He ran through his career pretty quickly but stopped to play (and sing!) some of the highlights. During a medley of Bye Bye Birdie he included the full version of "How Lovely To Be A Woman" and I could tell that it was one of his favorites. He sang it in such a tender way. He said that during the tryout of "Birdie" in Philadelphia, it was recieved by the audiences as a flop.

Of course he got to Annie and during that medley he sang "I Don't Need Anything But You" in full . I could tell he loved that song too. His finale was, of course, "Tommorrow" and whilst I have never loved that song, I have to say that I got misty-eyed during his rendition.

It's so great to see a man of an older age with such passion and energy towards his life and work. He told us all about his new musical called Minsky's which has alot of great people involved. It will be opening in LA in, I think the summer?

During the Q and A he told us that the opening bars of "Maybe" were originally written for a beer commerical ( I think it was Blue Ribbon Beer). He claimed to have never told any group that before.

It was a wonderful, unexpected afternoom.

Mark

Posted on May 10, 2008, 4:56 PM
from IP address 24.215.213.49

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast