BTW, do you know...

by Alex (no login)

I'd Do Anything was not the first show of its type which Andrew Lloyd Webber made with the BBC.

The first, two years prior to that, in 2006, was called How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? Andrew made it as he wanted the public to help him find an unknown talent to star as Maria Von Trapp, in his West End revival of The Sound Of Music.

It created a real stir across the UK as no West End leading lady (or man) had ever been cast that way before. There were no children involved in the show, though. The children were cast through open auditions instead, which also attracted publicity.

The show (and the production) were very successful, so last year, the show returned, this time known as Any Dream Will Do. This time, Andrew searched for a man, to star as Joseph in Joseph And His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat.

This year, the third year of the show, I'd Do Anything, is the first year that Andrew (this time on behalf of Cameron McIntosh)has searched for child actors, as well as an adult lead.

You'll find lots of videos from all three shows on YouTube, my particular favourite being this one from 'Maria'. Each week, as in '...Anything', the girls had a 'mission' to do. In this one, John Barrowman (of all people!), tested their kissing skills. One girl wrestled him off the first time around (why??) and had to do it again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqnw9p40E4

The websites for the shows, no longer updated but kept for reference purposes may be found at

www.bbc.co.uk/maria
www.bbc.co.uk/joseph
www.bbc.co.uk/oliver

If you already knew about them, sorry for double posting. I just thought, with most of you being non-UK...

Enjoy!

Alex

Posted on Jul 8, 2008, 2:22 PM
from IP address 86.134.250.14

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast