Stage manager

by K-the-O ;-) (no login)

I was the stage manager for a regional production in Boston. It's A LOT of work. I had to know all the cues e.g. curtain, lights, props, entrances, etc. as well as make sure the actors were ready for their entrance (sometimes they'd be changing and I'd have to hurry them up). I was in constant communication with the rest of the crew via a headset.

If the director or assistant weren't available, I'd give the notes.

I was responsible for having all the props ready, either onstage or off, at the beginning of the show and removing them at the end of each performance.

I scheduled rehearsals and gave feedback to the director if I thought an actor wasn't doing as told.

Marissa and the dark-haired boy said it best, without the stage manager there wouldn't be a show!

It was exciting, scary and very draining. I had never done this type of work when I was hired so 'scary' should top the list of what it was like for me

OF: if you reread Shelly's (self-congraluting) biography she talks about receiving notes after the show. I think one of the notes she received was to stop swinging her legs at the end of Act I when she is sitting at the desk writing to the orphans and singing "Maybe".

Posted on Jul 20, 2008, 6:24 AM
from IP address 71.162.102.251

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast