Thank you, annielauri

by Jon Merrill (no login)

Hi annielauri - Many thanks for your kind words. I'm 63 now and reasonably hale and hearty and have no intention of going away in the near future! I especially appreciate your support, inasmuch as on another (unmonitored) Annie Forum on the Internet 10 years ago I was brutally slandered anonymously--because of being a middle-aged single male fan of the show--by people who disapproved of my showing enthusiasm for the show and taking pictures of Orphans for our Annie newsletter, accusing me of doing so for prurient reasons. As I touched on in LAT, we male fans of Annie are very easily stereotyped by non-thinking, non-feeling fans who accuse us falsely of being gay or being pedophiles. The major change I made in my life after all that trouble years ago was to cease waiting at the stage door decked out in Annie buttons holding a camera the way I used to. I would never know if an unknown Forum enemy were standing right next to me, so I play it safe now. I mentioned that during my LAT interview as well, and I'm glad I had the chance to be a spokesperson for male Annie fans and make a few remarks about the trials and tribulations of being one.

It's a different world now; we have the Internet, and the Internet is PUBLIC. Everyone has to be a lot more careful. Just ask Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus.

As for my collection, several people who saw LAT wondered where the white jacket with the big A came from, the one I mentioned as being the Annie equivalent in my collection of Prince's Purple Rain suit in the Hard Rock Cafe (Gil Cates loved that line and made sure I repeated it when they began to do my interview). That is Louanne's 2nd National jacket, which she gave me in 1998 for my Annie room display at home. She wore it all over LA during her term in the title role at the Shubert Theatre in the second half of 1979. It of course remains in a prominent location in my downsized Annie display today.

Posted on Jul 30, 2008, 8:13 PM
from IP address 205.188.116.72

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast