AG Theater

by Another Stage Mom (no login)

Apparently, it's not cost efficient for Mattel to run a theater that is dark a great deal of the time. It was very busy during the summer, during the Christmas holiday period, and during school spring breaks, but at other times of the year, such as January and September, when school started back, it was very slow and they often canceled scheduled shows. I am sorry that this next generation of girls will not have the opportunity that my daughter had to perform in the show, and I am even more sorry for the girls who will never get to SEE it. Live theater was such an important part of the American Girl Place experience.

I heard that the Chicago store was moving, and they did not want to construct a new theater in the new space. And anyone would be foolish not to think that the decision by the adults in the New York show to join Actor's Equity had something to do with the decision to close the New York theater.

On a hopeful note, I hope that Mattel, whom I believe owns the rights to the shows, will license them for performance in other venues. "The American Girls Revue" is a wonderful show, "Circle of Friends" less so, but both have beautiful music and an uplifting story line and deserve to be heard again. If Mattel is really just interested in making money, they really shouldn't overlook this asset.

Posted on Aug 3, 2008, 7:09 AM
from IP address 69.124.63.27

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast