Here it is

by Cecile (France) (Login Cecile-France)

'Thoroughly' entertaining evening at Auditorium!

Thoroughly Modern Millie - a joy to watch!

Michael Steed reviews 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' at the Grimsby Auditorium.

YOU didn't need to be a proud parent to enjoy the Live Nation Stage Experience production of 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' at Grimsby Auditorium last week.

Every year, the Auditorium gives young performers aged 18 and under, the chance to perform a full length musical under professional direction from West End directors and choreographers.

They are auditioned, have two weeks intensive rehearsals and then perform in four productions, although the principal roles are shared as they are so demanding.

There were, of course, some hiccups, especially in the chorus numbers, but the principals would not have disgraced a professional stage.

This is not my favourite musical, but the sheer exuberance and talent of these young people, more than made up for any misgivings I might have for the show itself.

Particular mention must be made of the principals – Heather Sparks as Mrs Meers, Kate Prior as Miss Dorothy and Daniel Clift as Jimmy (on the night I went), who performed without fault and, surely, are headed for professional careers.

But it was Kate Winney who shone throughout – she didn't just perform superbly, she grabbed the production by the scruff of the neck. She dominated the stage whenever she was on – and that was most of the time – and exuded a talent and enthusiasm that will surely see her as a musical star, if that is the route she intends to take.

I shall watch her future carer with interest – maybe she will be back at the Auditorium in a starring professional role in a few years time.

I am sure the other principals – Zoe Belding and Scott Royle – were as good. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to se them at work.

Posted on Aug 18, 2008, 11:31 PM
from IP address 81.64.129.238

Respond to this message

Return to Index

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast