More thoughts

by Frustrated (no login)

I have to say that people at my daughter's high school would think that I am crazy for being frustrated about this. And, looking at it from their point of view, I have to agree. Some kids try out for so many things in high school and get nothing. Most kids never even make the ensemble in the musicals. My daughter made the hip-hop group that performs at all basketball games her Freshman year. This is the most sought-after team at the school - taking only a handful of kids. She made Swing Choir, La Crosse, the Dance Show, and ensemble roles in the musicals and the student run musicals. She's also very popular (which in some ways alienates her from the "theatre clique.")
So, people in general would think I'm absolutely nuts. They look at my daughter and think she has everything. What they don't know is that she doesn't feel that way inside. She wants to pursue musical theatre as a career and the theatre department at the school has only hurt her time and again.
And, each year the chorus teacher chooses a few students to sing the National Anthem at football and basketball games and assemblies. (You can't audition for this - you are just asked.) They have never asked my daughter to do so. My daughter has sung the National Anthem live in front of over 30,000 people. When she was 10, she was paid to sing the National Anthem on television. I guess she just wants one chance before she graduates to show the teachers and kids (who wouldn't otherwise know) that she can sing. But, at this point, I think she realizes that it probably won't happen. The auditions for the musical are in a couple of weeks. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I will keep all of you informed. I have to say that it would "right every wrong" if she finally got the chance to show the school what she can do.

Posted on Sep 5, 2008, 6:43 AM
from IP address 24.13.237.37

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast