Re: More about high school

by CindyS (no login)

I totally agree with you, although, again, as a teacher I see both sides.

My daughter came home last night devastated that she was passed over AGAIN for a lead in "Kiss Me Kate" in her performing arts high school. True, the talent levels of some of these kids are incredible, yet, dd has more professional credits, a higher GPA and a stronger work ethic than some of these kids. She's decided she's "not good enough", "not pretty enough", etc,. etc., etc. Yes, her spirit has been broken and, as her mother, my heart is broken. But, she knows the only way to succeed in this business is to keep going and keep the spirit alive. Without that, all is lost. So, I told her to really go deep within herself and see if the passion for theater is as strong as she says it is. If it is, then she'll keep believing in herself, and continue going. If not, perhaps it wasn't meant to be. She told me she loves theater, and after the disappointment wanes, she knows she'll love being the show (she's guaranteed at this point something in the show), and being part of the company.

That's the hardest thing for some of these kids.....to deal with life's hard lessons early at a time when they are faced with so many other challenges. We, as parents, can only love them.

Posted on Sep 6, 2008, 5:46 AM
from IP address 64.12.116.72

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast